• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures of that Branson Course make me think a little of Bryant Lake where the maintenance and amenities are fantastic and that seems to outweigh the design for a lot of reviewers.

I like Bryant Lake, although I have never played the shorts. The shorts do seem family friendly. Entire family friendly. The longs are decent except for a couple gimme dueces from my memory. I did get my only ace there so that probably inflates my opinion. Hmmmm...maintenance might have cause me to inflate my ratings on that one a half disc. And I did play it a year or so before I ever made it to Kaposia, Hidden Lake, or Blue Ribbon. Wasn't even a course hoar at the time. Probably somewhere between 50 and 100 courses at the time.

Now I gotta go back next season. See how it stacks up. Stupid well designed local courses throwing off my opinion.

I like Bryant Lake, although I have never played the shorts. The shorts do seem family friendly. Entire family friendly. The longs are decent except for a couple gimme dueces from my memory. I did get my only ace there so that probably inflates my opinion. Hmmmm...maintenance might have cause me to inflate my ratings on that one a half disc. And I did play it a year or so before I ever made it to Kaposia, Hidden Lake, or Blue Ribbon. Wasn't even a course hoar at the time. Probably somewhere between 50 and 100 courses at the time.

Now I gotta go back next season. See how it stacks up. Stupid well designed local courses throwing off my opinion.

Bryant isn't a bad course, just not amazing. If you're on your game you can go on a crazy deuce streak since most of the holes there are gettable. I think it's in the same league as Channy. I can see pros shooting well over 10 down.

Ha, Channahon+ elevation = Bryant Lake?

Sounds about right.

hmmm...I wonder if I played it before things started to "click" and the baskets suddenly started to appear closer. Never thought it was champ caliber but thought it was a cleaner Sinnissippi with more elevation and flair. I remember thinking it was better than Highland although Highland was still pretty dirty in 2010 so I always felt like I needed to shower after playing there. I'm going back, that's it. There's a couple new ones I haven't played near that corner now.

Bryant is one of the best courses I've seen for red level players, it just doesn't really present the challenges or variety to make it a top tier course. I like the comparison to Channahon, both are impeccably maintained and perfect courses for newer players to hone their emerging disc golf skills. When advanced or pro level players play either though, it's mostly simple putter and mid shots.

Right Matthiessen, wrong site. The place I was referring to is on the east side of LaSalle. Think derelict industrial with woods, elevation and water. It's Superfund at the present owing to heavy metal contamination but I suspect at some time in the future it will become parkland.

Google Maps

http://goo.gl/maps/oWkvn
Dan Nagel and myself will be designing a course in Rotary Park in Lasalle. I haven't seen the land yet, but Dan says it could be one of the best in the state, depending on what land in the park they give us....

i am going to be in quad cities for business pretty soon. I've played middle park before and will probably play there again, any other "must plays" in the area?

Camden I and Camden II are sweet. West Lake Park is crazy; big time water hazards and a whole lotta bombing. One of the only areas I don't bag courses and just play the same ones over and over and over.

West Lake Park is crazy; big time water hazards and a whole lotta bombing.

2nd vote for West Lake Park....lots of fun, challenging holes on that course.

Bring at least a few discs you don't care about losing in the water or be prepared to play safe, boring golf on at least 6-7 of 24 holes.

I played a round there December last year and the wind was howling (at least 20 MPH+) for nearly the entire round...lost 2 discs in the water and managed to get 1 back because it was close enough to reach with a stick.

Pine Hills is now set up in a shorter winter layout. The par 6 is now 3 holes. I may tweak it more if I get time. Only a few 'new' holes out there. Most of the current holes have made prior appearances out there.

West Lake Park is crazy; big time water hazards and a whole lotta bombing.

2nd vote for West Lake Park....lots of fun, challenging holes on that course.

Bring at least a few discs you don't care about losing in the water or be prepared to play safe, boring golf on at least 6-7 of 24 holes.

I played a round there December last year and the wind was howling (at least 20 MPH+) for nearly the entire round...lost 2 discs in the water and managed to get 1 back because it was close enough to reach with a stick.

looking at the pictures, those water holes dont look lhbh friendly at all :|

Woo hoo!
Rotary Park? Not familiar with that one and I've spent lots of time in LaSalle.

Great news, thanks again for Marilla. :hfive:

It's a new (huge) park under development. Everything is going to be state of the art, top notch stuff. This leads me to believe they will allow us to install a world class course...

i am going to be in quad cities for business pretty soon. I've played middle park before and will probably play there again, any other "must plays" in the area?

If you're playing Middle, be certain to hit Devil's Glen as it's only 10 minutes or so away. It's only twelve holes normally and isn't particularly well maintained by the city but it's a QC favorite of mine.

Embarrassed to admit I've not yet played West Lake, just haven't been there with the right group/time availability yet. Top of my 'to do' list though.

Camden 2 should still be in one of the long layouts, the 'real' Camden 2. This is the biggest reason why I haven't played more QC courses as I keep wanting to come back here for more.

Personal preferences among the courses I've played, Camden 2 >>Devil's Glen>Prospect>Middle>Camden 1. If you have the opportunity, head north to Clinton to play Eagle Point, best new course for me this year.

Dan Nagel and myself will be designing a course in Rotary Park in Lasalle. I haven't seen the land yet, but Dan says it could be one of the best in the state, depending on what land in the park they give us....

Most of my time in that area was ten or more years back. At the that time the ICC property was very active so I've not seen much of it but I do know of a few areas there that would yield some top notch opportunities. There are good opportunities in more than one of the parcels that will make up the park. Hopefully you and Dan will have the opportunity to influence the decision as to which land might be used for disc golf as my experience has been that the common perception of what constitutes good terrain may be far from reality.

Off the top of my head:

- The creek along the southern boundary of Parcel 1 has a very pretty little waterfall just above the creek's confluence with the Little V.

- The lower portion of the canyon (actually an artificial diversion) of the Little V is included within Parcel 2. Could have some dramatic holes in this area.

http://lasallepark.pbworks.com/w/page/14989362/FrontPage

Last edited:
west lake park is fricken amazing and has cheap camping! but i liked camden 1 and 2, west lake, prospect park and credit island! I rly wanna play credit island when its really windy just to see if i can shoot decent!

I think Mark and I are plannig on going back out to the quads for spring break this year so i cat wait to get back out there!

Where to put the basket?

872724.jpg

This is high water at the bottom of the Little V canyon, now in LaSalle's Rotary Park, mentioned in an earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts