• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm going to the USDGC. Road trip from NH to Rock Hill!

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
I was just given the NH spot in the USDGC, so it's time to start planning the road trip.

My last day of work before the event will be Thurs 9/27. That gives me a full four days to make the journey. This means there's plenty of time to hit a few courses along the way.

I'm undecided on my route. One option is to take I-81 down through PA and VA. The other option would be to hug the coast and drive to DC first.

Some potential stops along the way.

DC - I can stop in and see my brother and some close friends from college that all live in the DC area. Although I'm seeing them all on a nearly monthly basis as it is, so that's not a necessary stop. Would be a nice opportunity to stop in DE to check out Iron Hill though...

Harrisonburg, VA - This is my old hometown and Mom is still living there. The trip south is a good chance to stop in and visit. Westover Park will be a must-play while I'm there.

Morganton, NC - My parents' lakehouse should be completed by this time. A little R&R at the lake prior to the USDGC could be pretty nice. From here Rock Hill is only about two hours away.

Hartsville, SC - Dad has a new teaching gig here, don't know much about the area.

So I could make one big loop. I-95 all the way down with stop offs in DC and Hartsville (maybe a stop at the Blockhouse too?). Then I-77 to I-81 for the return trip. Or I could bypass DC entirely and take the 81/77 route both directions.

I have the #2 travel tag, it will be on the move with me.

Depending on your route, I'd make every effort to hit as many of these as possible;
Brakewell,Tyler,Iron Hill,Hawk Hollow,Whispering Falls & Harmon Hills.

I'd have to consult a map to be sure, but I don't remember Hartsville being anywhere relatively near Rock Hill. I'd spend a bit of time here in and around the Charlotte area if you're mainly wanting to play some golf.

I'd have to consult a map to be sure, but I don't remember Hartsville being anywhere relatively near Rock Hill. I'd spend a bit of time here in and around the Charlotte area if you're mainly wanting to play some golf.

Hartsville is about two hours to the east. While I'm in Rock Hill, Dad may be making the trip from there to the lake house in Morganton. That would take him right through Rock Hill, so I may be able to scratch Harstville off the list and have him come to me instead.

From a non-disc-golf perspective, I-81/77 is a much nicer drive than I-95.

Hartsville is adding a bit of mileage, and there's not much, disc-golf-wise, in that part of SC.

From a non-disc-golf perspective, I-81/77 is a much nicer drive than I-95.

Hartsville is adding a bit of mileage, and there's not much, disc-golf-wise, in that part of SC.

I grew up in VA on 81. I know both routes well. Scenery is not my major concern, I've seen it all already. I'm really trying to plan the trip by social stops and will sprinkle in some disc golf along the way.

Gotcha. I was thinking of not just scenery, but traffic. For what it's worth, since you already know both routes.

Depending on how far you're willing to veer off the interstate, the NC mountains have some excellent courses. Another possibility is Highland Hills in Wilkesboro, which isn't far off I-77. We took a peak at it on the way to another course; it has some cool holes with some extreme elevation changes.

If your in Morgantown, there's Cedarock Park just south near Graham. There's two 18ers on site, can be played together, Cedar Rock mostly open with some elevation, Wellspring all wooded. It's a good day of golf, with every shot-option re. tourney prep.

If this part of your trip takes you near/to Albemarle, you need to do yourself the favor of picking up a round at Fox Chase, at Chuck Morehead Memorial Park. Many elements of Charlotte courses, and well maintained, this course is somebody's baby. From the longs, quite a challenge, I'd say the longs are pro-caliber.

Last edited:
If your in Morgantown, there's Cedarock Park just south near Graham. There's two 18ers on site, can be played together, Cedar Rock mostly open with some elevation, Wellspring all wooded. It's a good day of golf, with every shot-option re. tourney prep.

If this part of your trip takes you near/to Albemarle, you need to do yourself the favor of picking up a round at Fox Chase, at Chuck Morehead Memorial Park. Many elements of Charlotte courses, and well maintained, this course is somebody's baby. From the longs, quite a challenge, I'd say the longs are pro-caliber.

I appreciate the suggestions, but it looks like Cedarock and Albemarle are going to be a bit out of my way.

Gotcha. I was thinking of not just scenery, but traffic. For what it's worth, since you already know both routes.

Depending on how far you're willing to veer off the interstate, the NC mountains have some excellent courses. Another possibility is Highland Hills in Wilkesboro, which isn't far off I-77. We took a peak at it on the way to another course; it has some cool holes with some extreme elevation changes.

True, the traffic down 95 sucks. I'm strongly considering that route though to give myself a chance to play Iron Hill in DE.

hawk hollow will be in good shape by then since the dgcr meetup is the week before and there is a pdga event there the week after the usdgc. blockhouse/hh is a hard combo to beat.

Latest posts