• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

improved your game

money 21

* Ace Member *
what is something that over the last year has improved your personal game. for me it was learning how to use and control the fh anhyzer and approach. I switch back and forth driving between BH, FH and OH but 90% of my short game has always been BH. Over the last year i have worked alot on using my FH more in my approach game and not just throw straight or hyzer with me fh. This work has cleaned up my fh driving as well.

Perhaps nothing considering sick leave after surgery :-( I've field practiced less and played more rounds so slowed down speed that i started last year with diminished reach back distance and aiming more with a faster chop are bringing more consistent although not accurate enough results to my liking. But with only 9 weeks of playing in good weather and a mandatory stop nothing much was to be expected anyway. I tried what Avery calls a power grip for FH today and finally my arm allows me to grip that way and i liked the initial results so that may become an actual improvement for this season. I'm trying out base plastic low fade high glide putters and so far my confidence in putting has gone up but this is so new that it is way too soon to say anything definitive. The rainy season is here so i need the added grip vs Ions and Anodes for the last two 3? seasons.

I changed my grip which has improved my timing and distance with mids and putters. That also moved me to go from slower mids/putters (kc aviar/roc) to faster ones (wizard/rhyno/buzzz)

Started throwing putters off the box more, limited my self to 2 types of drivers(valkyries and predators in various states of wear) and mids(meteors and buzzzs in various states of wear. And added a hop step to my drive which improved timing. And practiced putting 15 minutes a day for almost 2 months.

Taking a video of my throw and seeing all the things I was doing wrong. I highly suggest this to anyone who wants to improve.

Changing drives from power grip to fork grip OR aiming using left shoulder.

I just realized that op asked about most helpful this year.
I've been really focusing on keeping my body under control.
I never truly understood how important a stable base is before.
I've dropped 4-5 strokes per round and ruined my handicap at both am leagues that I play with multiple best rounds. folks are complimenting on how smooth my form is too. A side effect of this seems to be a better mental game since I'm focusing so much on relaxed, stable motions, I get a brain reset on every shot. every aspect of of my game seems better. I haven't done field work in months so I don't know about distance gains, but I haven't thrown a driver more than 3 times in a round in a long time, so I think it's not a problem. We will see......

Field practice. My distance is slowly coming back. Just need to focus now on not whipping my shoulder out early and keeping it in there.

I've settled down on putting new molds in the bag and now a days my testing happens on the practice field instead of the course. Lately I feel like I've got a pretty good idea how my plastic is going to fly in most winds. This biggest improvement to my score this past year is I've stuck with Ions and have invested a lot of time practice putting.

I really worked on my putting this year. It is now streaky but in a much better way than the random crap I would hit before. I also worked hard on throwing clean anhyzer lines, it has paid off in spades. The only thing it has hurt is that I have to use a different line than my old crappy nose up line.

Well, I practiced putting this year. 4 or 5 sessions, 15 minutes each. Helped quite noticeably, maybe I should actually do this more regularly :p

The beginning of the year I decided I wanted a viable backhand drive. I have always been a RHFH driver for long distance but have a hard time scaling it down for shorter holes. Using a three finger grip also helped a lot until I was ready to power grip my drives.

On that same notion driving with putters and mids had helped a ton as well as a short forehand flick any shot with my putter for approaches. I now don't have problems getting around trees as much and make a lot more approach shots outside of 50'.

My original plans where to practice a ton and attend around 15 tournaments this year. This did not happen. However, I have played a ton of casual, league, and drinking rounds this year. Since I play the same course every time I started practicing doing the same shots with drastically different discs. I have improved my control on almost all my discs.

One of my main problems has always been powering down. I hard a hard time throwing a buzzz only 200-250ft. So I worked on powering down discs (especially mids) and also practiced stand stills, one steps, and mini x-steps. It has helped my short range control greatly.

Just going out to the field and throwing discs over, and over and over has made a huge impact on my disc golf game. I have more distance and accuracy. The repetition you can get doing it this way is so much more than what you can get by just playing rounds on the course.

Practicing with slower drivers!
Not being able to play for 4 month and breaking 2 ribs playing ultimate followed by a month on the couch: this led to a weak and disheveled version of myself, therefore when i went out to field test for the first time in 4 months the other day, i grabbed a stack of slower and understable drivers instead of my typical bombers (heavy z nuke, champ boss, star katana, caliber all go around 400').
A bunch of these throws wound up going really far (about 360ish) with much less effort than i throw my heavy hitters; therefore, they were much easier to aim.
When I throw the max weight speed 12 and 13 blazers i've gotten used to i wind up running all over the field to pick them up. These slower discs werent going as far, but i was managing to land them all within 20 feet of each other.
I'm currently thinking that sacrificing 20-40 feet of distance for more consistent throws and a much less tired arm should be a nice boost to my scores and shoulder durability.

Latest posts