• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In-competition smoking banned at 2011 PDGA Pro & Am Worlds

Dag said:
Reading the PDGA BoD Teleconference Minutes leads me to believe that the motivation for this action is different than that which is perceived here. The discussion which resulted in the smoking ban was not over smoking per se but over the usage of medicinal marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids. After last year's SUV in the lake episode, I would imagine there's currently a degree of sensitivity on this particular issue. Rather than trying to define what smoking materials should or should not be permissible under PDGA ruling, a complex issue outside the focus of the PDGA, I believe they've taken a common sense route simply banning all smoking regardless of what's being burnt. I smoked two or more packs a day for twenty-some years so have empathy for those that will be caught by this ruling but feel it is the best course of resolution of the issue.

Original text from the minutes:
PDGA BoD minutes said:
K2/Medicinal Marijuana Discussion – Nesbitt
The use of K2 and other similar synthetic smoking products during competition was discussed. The
discussion evolved to whether smoking should be prohibited at PDGA events. The board felt that if
enacted, the restriction should be implemented at PDGA Majors first.

MOTION (Korver/Jenkins)
Restrict smoking at the PDGA Pro and Am World Championships in 2011 in the same manner that
alcohol is currently restricted.
Yes: Andrews, Korver, Jenkins, Feldberg, Nesbitt
No: Decker
Motion passes 5-1.

What was the deal on that, I never heard the story on it.

zj1002 said:
Anyone else want to see a new Barsby impression of KC's reaction to this?

I'm sure that'd be funny as hell.

Smokeless-cigarettes1.jpg

Problem solved. :D

Sean40474 said:

Player left his car in neutral/drive after pulling into the parking lot at winthrop, car rolled into the lake. Tow truck shows up and driver finds a bag of mj and turns it in to a cop. the passenger claims it, don't remember either's name.

edit: found pic but the news article is no longer active. it was chris hereen's (sp?) car.
58132_476457124065_179691904065_6697682_4547846_n.jpg

I never heard the part about there being illegal substances in the vehicle. Heeren lives down the road from me and I know he doesn't partake of any of that stuff.

abcd said:
Sean40474 said:

Player left his car in neutral/drive after pulling into the parking lot at winthrop, car rolled into the lake. Tow truck shows up and driver finds a bag of mj and turns it in to a cop. the passenger claims it, don't remember either's name.

edit: found pic but the news article is no longer active. it was chris hereen's (sp?) car.
58132_476457124065_179691904065_6697682_4547846_n.jpg

Nice, thanks for the 411....didn't mean to stir up shit nest about it. I really never knew anything about what happened, I just heard folks laughing about it. I was hoping for something funny and cool, not a person getting drop zone at a major.

Frank Delicious said:
Apothecary said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:
will a mod or admin please define "drugs" for the class?

illegal drugs discussion isn't allowed. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

illegal where, smart guy?

I find this shallow and pedantic

i find your mother shallow and pedantic.

Apothecary said:
Frank Delicious said:
Apothecary said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:

I find this shallow and pedantic

i find your mother shallow and pedantic.

ooooo sic burn....get him Frank LOL

Apothecary said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:

Where you live. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

I have yet to see where you have contributed anything that is remotely interesting or constructive to this board, besides attempting to win the Troll of the Year award.

victorb said:
Apothecary said:
victorb said:
Apothecary said:

Where you live. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

I have yet to see where you have contributed anything that is remotely interesting or constructive to this board, besides attempting to win the Troll of the Year award.

i was asking you rhetorically. really just looking for mod or admin input here. :lol:

honestly, smart guy, i dont care about anything you think about anything. 8)

and how is a rule, written by a board administrator (the board creator, actually) that hard to understand?

oh wait, you obviously don't understand rule #1, either.

problems with your interpretation of the rule:

1) the word 'illegal' is nowhere to be seen in the wording. 'drugs' has many different meanings to different people.

2) even if the rule was worded that way, the mods cant see anything more than our ip. its REALLY easy to fake your ip and would therefore be easy to fake your locale, changing your ip to a country where a substance someone would like to discuss is legal and would be hunky dorey as far as your interpretation of the rule goes.

lots of grey area here. if its been discussed, please link me to the thread. im new.

this is obviously a united states based board. you're looking into it too much. our foreign friends in Europe that post here all the time seem to know what's kosher on these boards and what isn't.

it HAS been discussed in the past, which is why the rule now exists, and taboo drug topics are prohibited. I'm fairly sure that those threads don't exist anymore, and for good reason.

if you really need more clarity on what the rule means, by all means PM an admin, or call Blake. I don't think you'll get a different answer. I'd be shocked if you did.