• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In-competition smoking banned at 2011 PDGA Pro & Am Worlds

disc golf is an international topic and the internet is primarily border-less in nature. its mighty presumptuous of you to label this as an amurikn board.

Apothecary said:
disc golf is an international topic and the internet is primarily border-less in nature. its mighty presumptuous of you to label this as an amurikn board.

it's mighty presumptuous of you to label this a non-american board as well, especially since you have little experience with the goings on over here. I'm sure DGCR would love to have an international discussion on an ambiguous topic where you can spin facts how you wish to try and prove a straw man argument to be true.

How the hell does any of that matter anyway? The board is here because Blake set it up and pays for hosting it. He doesn't want that shit on his board, hence the rule. It's not like this is a democracy.... pretty straight forward.

Well this conversation sure is boring. I think I'm just gonna start deleting any more discussion on it.

We had a trash day at one of the local courses on Sat. and guess what was the #1 thing we picked up all over the course. Cig butts. :x LOTS OF THEM! People who smoke impact their environment more than some realize. I have played with many people who carry a bag so they can put their butts away during the round and then throw them away after the round. These same people usually try and stay down wind of others as well BUT many people who smoke do not act so respectful. I have no problem smelling your smoke, I have two legs and will move to clean/fresh air. The discarding of the cig butts on the ground is my main gripe. We picked up many cigar butts and swisher sweet tips as well on the trash day. I can get around the smoke, although I shouldn't have to but the lack of respect for others and the envirnoment is what really stinks about SOME cig smokers (pun intended) :mrgreen:

sunspot said:
Smokeless-cigarettes1.jpg

Problem solved. :D

At first I was not happy about the fact that some people want to ban smoking at all PDGA events. I thought, I am a smoker and I want to smoke outside. I still think it should be fine to smoke outside, but you bring up a good point and something I have thought about already.

Many people I work with smoke the electronic cigarettes. They can give you the nicotine you want as a smoker and still not be a problem to anyone else. I actually want to buy one of these just so I can have a puff or two when I want and not have to smoke an entire cigarette, like inside my house (i don't smoke inside).

As long as these were legal I guess I could deal with it, even though I would prefer to be able to smoke while playing.

this stupid new rule makes me want to go spectate at a pdga event and smoke 4 cigarettes at once at all times....

I can honestly say that i was fuming at the Stockholm Disc Golf Open 2010 in the middle of a heat wave filming and carrying water for me and Feldy. Oh yeah that's a hilly long course and the little thing called Voodoo Zulu bag with 43 discs in it. Luckily i'm a non smoker and still i was emitting a lot of fumes. No not from down there you silly lot ;-) Sweat fumes and a lot of it.

There's no smoking at any of the parks in the Santa Cruz area so that applies to spectators, spotters, officials, picnicers, the kids on the swingset...

I didn't have the patience to read all seven pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if this has been covered yet or not. Soooo,

1. AGAINST SMOKING In general, if it bothers you to go 4-5 hours without a cigarette, that, of course, isn't a good reason for not banning smoking during events. Most folks are fairly courteous about it when they smoke, but if you can smell it all, you are getting second-hand smoke.

2. NOT AGAINST SMOKING --Depending on the hole and the course, it's pretty easy for someone to smoke a cigarette without being around the rest of the group. They aren't hurting anyone (except possibly themselves), and if they are paying attention to when their shot is, etc, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. AGAINST SMOKING---It's a drug that affects mood! No one ever brings this up! It can very much affect how calm you are etc, and by doing so affect your game. (I would assume the affects are usually negative in a tournament, since it's harder to just light up whenever you feel.)

4. NOT AGAINST SMOKING----If we want to clean up the image of the sport, I don't think smoking cigarettes is the place to start. IN BALL GOLF, THEY SMOKE AT THE MASTERS! I don't think that tarnished the image at all a few years ago when the camera caught that dude (what's his name?) smoking, who later beat Tiger in a playoff.

5. I am the primary caretaker of a disc golf course, and I hate it that there are people who come to the course and throw their cigarette butts on the ground. If you do that on any course, any where, screw you and the cancer stick you rode in on. Damn your ugly habits. I work hard on that place and despise uncaring biotches.

Who's this golfer? The only man to beat Tiger in a playoff ever is Billy Mayfair (he's 11-1 on the PGA tour and 10-0 on the European tour).

I have a feeling you're thinking of Angel Cabrera, who won the US Open in 2007 (Tiger finished T2, losing by a stroke).

Timko said:
Who's this golfer? The only man to beat Tiger in a playoff ever is Billy Mayfair (he's 11-1 on the PGA tour and 10-0 on the European tour).

I have a feeling you're thinking of Angel Cabrera, who won the US Open in 2007 (Tiger finished T2, losing by a stroke).

tiger also has playoff losses to Graeme McDowell and Padraig Harrington (and Nick Price but not an official event).

Oh, he did lose to Graeme last year. But that wasn't an official event either.

I totally missed the Padraig playoff.

Yep, it was Angel. How could I forget that name?

That's beside the point, though, he was the dude smoking like a chimney, and he won. Great respect hasn't been lost because of this.

Luke13 said:
Yep, it was Angel. How could I forget that name?

That's beside the point, though, he was the dude smoking like a chimney, and he won. Great respect hasn't been lost because of this.

Challenge # 1

disc golf doesn't have great respect to lose. actually, disc golf is engaged in a uphill battle for respect.

jsun3thousand said:
disc golf doesn't have great respect to lose. actually, disc golf is engaged in a uphill battle for respect.
QFT

Did I miss something too when they said that the ban was also in response to the massive drought conditions that are plaguing California this year?
That to me seems more of a legit reason than trying to "look pro"
All it takes is some dumb ass player to drop some ash, flick a butt they think is out, or drop the sig to ignite a massive wild fire.

I think this is a good idea for safety as well as the game. I don't smoke, I'm an athlete and when I'm playing the sport I'm currently doing, the last thing I want to do in a run up, or when I'm relaxing awaiting my turn is breathe second hand smoke.
Some smokers have the courtesy to make sure they don't blow smoke on anyone, but a lot of the ones I've played with in tournaments don't care.

I hope they extend it to other events, make it out right ban in A Tier plus, and leave it up to the TD's in B's and C's.
Obviously I hope TD's think about the course conditions when deciding on allowing smoking or not. A lot of drought this year.

Fritz said:
Did I miss something too when they said that the ban was also in response to the massive drought conditions that are plaguing California this year?
That to me seems more of a legit reason than trying to "look pro"
All it takes is some dumb ass player to drop some ash, flick a butt they think is out, or drop the sig to ignite a massive wild fire.

"Governor lifts drought declarations from 2008, 2009, 2010"

http://blogs.kqed.org/climatewatch/2011/03/30/ca-drought-lifted-snowpack-at-15-year-high/

Latest posts