• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In search of a backpack bag

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Jumped into disc golf about a year ago. I've been carrying a voodoo juju about 12 discs. However I am going to sign up for a tournament for September and would like a bag, backpack bag, that I can carry some backup discs and other stuff like snacks a towel, etc...

Ideally not looking to spend more than $100. But could go up to $150 MAX if the bag is perfect! Thinking 18ish discs. 3 putters, 5 mids, 5 fairway and 5 drivers.

Suggestions? I've been looking at the BP-3, BP-2, sniper etc...

Dig deep, find the extra $20, and buy a spinal tap from Voodoo. You won't regret investing in a high quality backpack bag even if you're not anywhere near MPO level. I have a Grip A14 and there have been so many times I've wanted to buy a slightly smaller backpack (C15 or Upper Park shift) or a Innova Standard style bag and thought "but my Grip holds two water bottles, plenty of discs, and everything else just fine. I can just take some discs out." The bags you mentioned are all made to that price point and it'll show within a year or two. If you can invest the little extra cash now, then that's what I'd do.

Or go to your local Academy sports and buy one of their Magellan disc golf bags that are cheap as dirt. They hold up surprisingly well and are pretty well designed overall. One of my teammates at Clemson had one for over a year or so and it held together pretty dang well.

Otherwise, if you MUST spend around $100, the Innova Heropack seems to be about the best around for that price. But I'd seriously suggest spending the extra cash on the Spinal Tap, or get a Magellan and use that until Grip has another of their sales and pick up a B15 on the cheap ($170 and worth every penny)

Cant go wrong with a Ranger or Grip. Those are the two I have. If you want to try out a Ranger bag, Im selling mine. PM if youre interested.

Grip B15 for sure, but I would recommend the Pound bag...double the price but they r build like tanks and feel as light as a feather. I have a KJ Haul and I carry 23 discs, the 2 liter hydra pack, and towels and extra drinks and accessories and still have room for much more. Check it out.

I'm pretty happy with my Prodigy BP2, especially at the $65 price, but it's my first bag for DG specifically.

Just as a counterpoint, consider simply adding quad straps to your excellent Juju. I have done this recently, and find it liberating to have such a lightweight bag. I still have the Mojo with the quads, and a (cheap)backpack on a cart, but the 12-disc Juju has been perfect for the hot summer rounds.

I don't have one, but if I were looking for a backpack I'd look to Voodoo first....

I have quad straps. I like my bag. But, I can only hold 13 discs. I want to have the opportunity to carry more. Especially for backups... I'll look at the voodoo more.

I feel like we are either in or right on the brink of the golden age of backpacks...Sooooo many good choices out there.

I've been using a DD Commander backpack since they came out and have been really happy with it and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. With all the bags they give out at the GBO events the last 2 years a few might be available for a very reasonable price here or on FB or eBay.

Most cost efficient would be to add quads to your bag. Probably will make it quite comfortable in comparison too. Absolutely nothing wrong with going this direction, and has it's benefits over a full backpack also.

If you're set on getting a backpack bag I'd recommend:

For less than 18 discs:
Upper Park Shift
GripEQ B15, BX, C15, CX

For more than 18 discs:
Upper Park Rebel
GripEQ A15, AX
Voodoo Spinal Tap
DD Commander

I personally wouldn't recommend the DD Ranger. It's really popular but the least ergonomic bag I've ever carried - it feels like a cardboard box with backpack straps. So bad that after I got rid of my cart I sold the bag too because I know I'd never carry it.

DD Sniper so you can create threads throwing a tantrum over "poor customer service" and "design flaws." You will eventually wear DD down into giving you a new bag.

Third coast discs has a coupon code on this forum that can be used on bags. Just got 10% off my lat64 E3 bag + free shipping. Bag arrived in 3 business days. Check them out!

I would highly recommend Upper Park's bags...They're really great; light-weight, ergonomic, and they hold a good amount (discs and storage). As a matter of fact, I have a Rebel I'm trying to sell in your price range if you're interested! ;)

In all honesty though, Upper Park backpacks are some of the best on the market right now. Plus John over at UPD is a really stand up guy, which, to me, elevates the product even more.

Another vote for Upper Park Shift. It is the bag I use most, because it is light and so comfortable. If you need to carry a bunch of discs look elsewhere, but I play with 12 or 14 in a Fade Crunch bag, so with the Shift I have 15 or 16 and it feels like a bunch. If I am playing a course where losing discs is likely, I will put a couple "expendables" in the bottom.

IMO nothing beats a DD Ranger for value and storage space. That giant compartment on top holds a ton of stuff. Plenty of room for a large fleece, towels, snacks, whatever you want to throw in there.

I used to own a Grip A series. It was a high-quality bag, but not as much storage as the Ranger.

I really like the shift. However.... I don't like the wait support/straps. That's a pretty much a deal breaker.
Looking at the DD commander. I like the Innova hero, just seems 25-30 discs is a ton!

Latest posts