• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Disc Golf Course??

IDGM

Hello disc golf fanatics! We are addicted, love the sport. My partner and I are starting the wheels in motion to build an indoor disc golf course here in Portland, OR. We need some input! Think totally enclosed, 2 acre (apprx 100,000 sq ft) 18 hole course. Would include natural obstacles, elevated T boxes, REAL trees, nets lining each hole, pro shop, beer garden, commissary with real food, lessons, and so on and so on. The question: Would you pay $35.00 entry fee to spend as much time (well....ya know) as you like? Think Top Golf only completely enclosed from the elements.
Let us know! Hit us up with question/comments and suggestions.
Tony and Garrett
IDGM (IndoorDiscGolfMania)

Interesting concept. I would not pay 35 bucks. I am a pretty good demographic for you. I have a job, I make good money and love the sport. I live in a cold climate where indoor opportunities during the winter is enticing. I might pony up 10 bucks to get in and play. But, I would likely spend some money on food and beer. Good luck with your venture.

Good luck. You can do some interesting things like tunnels and such, but 2 acres isn't a lot of room with all the other amenities and making sure you don't have people getting pegged by errant throws.

I mean it when I say good luck. A lot of what you are facing is competing with free to play DG.

Driving booths with nets and speedometers. Putting practice. Longer tunnels as mentioned. You probably need some sort of subscription situation and some cheap, remote real estate. Maybe a lower hourly rate, IDK

Hey Everyone! Thank you for the replies so far, this is all great feedback! It sounds like cost and available space seem to be the biggest concerns from you so far. How much would you spend to play in an indoor course? And would it make a difference if it were state of the art equipment? We are trying to not only build a place for players but also a place for an exciting experience. Would you pay $20?

And the design we have in mind would be able to fit into 2-3 acres (depending on a few different factors) and rest assured we have some killer ideas for an amazing course. Netting and hazards for sure!!

We want to hear more from everyone, we love the comments so far! Anything you would want to see specifically at a course like that? Anything you would want that you can't get at an outdoor course? Thanks Disc Golfers!!

Tony and Garrett

Most of the pay to play courses around here are about $10/round on the weekend, so for an indoor course I'd probably pay $7/round to play max. Top golf around here charges less than $10/person per hour.

Pass.

I don't hate the concept and definitely wish you the best with your business endeavor.

For me it's less about having to pay and more about the fact that enjoying the great outdoors is one of the things that I love about disc golf. Being outdoors playing is an activity that I look forward to year round and the thought of playing indoors just doesn't appeal to me.

I may be in a minority and maybe there's a demographic that doesn't like to play in less than ideal weather.

I would venture to guess business will be slow in the summer months.

Good luck.

Always thought it would be fun to take one of those abandoned malls the urbex dudes are always taking pics of and do a post apocalyptic/liminal space indoor guerrilla course.

Seasonal decorations/theme rounds would be cool

Hope you can make it pencil out

Interesting concept and I wish you luck. Indoor mini golf has been a thing, not sure how successful. For $35, the course better be a fun and amazing experience. My guess is that it will appeal more to casual players and the more serious, tournament players will pass.

There's a video somewhere out there (with Nate Sexton commentary) of a tournament in the basement of a shopping mall in Finland (pretty sure, maybe Sweden). It looked like a boring course down hallways, but obviously a different situation.

I would pay that as a one off for sure. Maybe once each year if it was really amazing. I play year round in central WI though and lose a disc, maybe two a year in the snow. Being outdoors is a big part of the appeal. Interesting idea. I wish you luck though.

I think in order to get people to day they would be willing to pay that much money for indoor disc golf, you'd need to be more specific about what the experience would entail.

Because 2 acres and 18 holes sounds like a bunch of <100 putter shots. "State of the art "equipment means new baskets and that's about it.

I don't know if I'd want to play a full course indoors. And I won't play when the ground is snow and ice covered.

Maybe if it has a nice 9'ish hole course and some training facilities. Something like driving ranges and maybe a putter training course. (have the putter training course have some difficult lies to putt from, a few long distance putts, etc) Could be especially useful if there was access to a training staff to help with technique.

Also if there is a pro shop and driving ranges, have an inventory of discs that people can try out on the range! It might net you more sales if they can try before they buy!

I remember seeing a video with Simon and one other player, can't remember if it was Paul or Eagle, and they were playing indoors. I believe the course was in Europe somewhere. Might be worth checking out for the OP.

2 acres is barely enough space for a putter-only 9 hole course.
Adding netting to "fairways" will allow for some weird bank shots that are not a part of outdoor courses.

I've played ball golf in a soccer field air dome, where they had netting separating the holes and it was 9 holes of wedge and putter golf. Payed for it once and never went back. The place stayed open for one season and never returned.

2 acres is not a lot in the frolf world and your trying to add a bar and other amenities? Don't forget bathrooms for the ladies. You will have a putt putt course at best.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

An indoor facility would be fantastic. Everyone has already commented with the downsides of such a place.
As a serious disc golfer who lives in Michigan, I would love an indoor place to throw. Likely I would buy an annual pass. I'm not one who plays DG because I love the outdoors. I don't love the outdoors. Sure, when the bugs aren't biting, winds not blowing my hat off, the suns not baking my skin, and the rains aren't soaking me to the bone, then I like being outdoors in the summer/spring time. And in the winter...
So, yeah, I'd lay down some dollars for the indoor experience.

Hello disc golf fanatics! We are addicted, love the sport. My partner and I are starting the wheels in motion to build an indoor disc golf course here in Portland, OR. We need some input! Think totally enclosed, 2 acre (apprx 100,000 sq ft) 18 hole course. Would include natural obstacles, elevated T boxes, REAL trees, nets lining each hole, pro shop, beer garden, commissary with real food, lessons, and so on and so on. The question: Would you pay $35.00 entry fee to spend as much time (well....ya know) as you like? Think Top Golf only completely enclosed from the elements.
Let us know! Hit us up with question/comments and suggestions.
Tony and Garrett

Pros:
Beer, nets, "real" nature.

Cons:
Biodome, only ***2 acres***, steep cost delivering (IMHO) low bang-for-buck ratio

Other Thoughts:
I assume this is basically a pitch n putt, putt-putt style because, unless I miss my mark, most 18-hole courses are on 20-to-40 acres of land.

I know this has been done before in some regard: is Crystal City Underground still in business or is it RIP? That place was pretty awesome and they only charged like $10 or so, IIRC. And that place was way bigger than 2 acres, they had at one point two 18-hole layouts including water hazards! :eek: :cool:

I think most discers want to be in the elements, not a little bubble or whatever.

Best of luck! :)

I'll compare it to other local indoor activities.

Trampoline park: $10 per day or $15 for a monthly pass (unlimited visits)

Arcade (cidercade) is a new arcade place. Video games from the 80s to now, pinball, pool, pizza parlor on onsite brewed cider for adults of course: $10 for day pass, I think $15 for monthly pass.

Those two facilities are similar concept (play all day). I'd say that is your price point.

Don't forget you need parking

Looks like DG at Crystal City has been underwater for a while now, but, kayaking! :rolleyes:

Worth checking out as a semi-successful (flooding is pretty rough on the business model) example.

They sold beer, had glow disc materials, I think some arcadey type stuff, maybe lazer tag, "beach" volleyball, etc.

Hard to imagine the cost of having a roof high enough to do it for real. I started out street skating and I see now how it has evolved and what an Olympic street event looks like. You could conceivably do something similar for disc golf, but to succeed it would likely need to seriously innovate the idea of obstacles and basket locations and also be modular so that the course could be reworked. I simply can't imagine the cost equation ever working on a local level.

If I could go somewhere and spend a few hours on putting practice and drive form for $10 or some monthly fee, I'd actually consider that.

Honestly, an indoor course, even a best case in my imagination, is not going to compete with an outdoor course because I prefer being outside. I'd have very little interest in a place like this anytime other than winter.

Now if you had a ball-golf driving range and wanted to pinch off some side space and get some winter revenue?

Latest posts