• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Infinite Discs plastics and mold approximations

The pdga measurements are not 100% accurate. Even though the exodus might have the same measurements as the fd they are not very close to being the same disc. I own multiple of both, also eagle-l, and work in a store where i get to handle plenty of discs. Not here to thrash anyone, just giving a well based opinion. Good example of the not too accurate measurements is the destroyer (1.2cm rim depth and 2.2cm rim thickness) and the DD3 (1.1cm and 2.4cm). They are the same disc, only difference between them are the different runs available at different times. 1mm difference is clearly noticeable in the hand, both in depth and rim thickness.

Been throwing a couple of Infinite discs ...

Metal Flake C-Glow Centurion - flies like an FD for me. Straight, with tiny turn and slightly more fade.
Scott Withers S-Exodus - flies like a moderately seasoned Eagle - minimal turn, about 2 fade

The pdga measurements are not 100% accurate. Even though the exodus might have the same measurements as the fd they are not very close to being the same disc. I own multiple of both, also eagle-l, and work in a store where i get to handle plenty of discs. Not here to thrash anyone, just giving a well based opinion. Good example of the not too accurate measurements is the destroyer (1.2cm rim depth and 2.2cm rim thickness) and the DD3 (1.1cm and 2.4cm). They are the same disc, only difference between them are the different runs available at different times. 1mm difference is clearly noticeable in the hand, both in depth and rim thickness.

Seems everyone points to the Destroyer as the 'inaccurate' measurements even though I've heard that a retool or new mold part was created at some point for the Destroyer. Could have been around when flight numbers got introduced to differentiate it more from the Wraith. If that is the case, the original one approved in 2007 wouldn't match up with a current one (or any of the new variants) & certainly not with the stiffer modern plastics being used. Measure a modern plastic Wraith/DD/Krait and likely it will meet or exceed the specs of the original Destroyer.

The PDGA may choose to round to the tenths of a centimeter. This could be due to the caliper's guaranteed precision or just to gather/publish accurate enough measurements to publicly approve the mold. 100% accuracy isn't the goal and I expect manufacturers would protest against that level of accuracy.

Metal Flake C-Glow Centurion - flies like an FD for me. Straight, with tiny turn and slightly more fade.

That seems to be the general consensus that the Centurion is very much like an FD.

I have one on the way and I'm going to stick it in the bag alongside my FD's and see how it stacks up.

That seems to be the general consensus that the Centurion is very much like an FD.

I have one on the way and I'm going to stick it in the bag alongside my FD's and see how it stacks up.

Centurion is most likely a Leo3. Different plastics then you can find in a Leo3 though which is nice.

Centurion is most likely a Leo3. Different plastics then you can find in a Leo3 though which is nice.

Well the Leopard3 is very similar to the FD as well if memory serves me. Probably close enough for my trash game.

The PDGA may choose to round to the tenths of a centimeter. This could be due to the caliper's guaranteed precision or just to gather/publish accurate enough measurements to publicly approve the mold. 100% accuracy isn't the goal and I expect manufacturers would protest against that level of accuracy.

As someone who uses calipers regularly to measure things down to thousands of an inch. (.001) I can say that material being measure makes a difference. Something soft like plastic can be pressed into by the calipers. Then you have to develop a touch for how much you press in to get the 'accurate' measurement. I don't know if the same person has been doing the PDGA measurements for a long time or not, but even if he/she has people aren't robots and can be inconsistent from day to day too.

or...the mold could have changed.

:\

As someone who uses calipers regularly to measure things down to thousands of an inch. (.001) I can say that material being measure makes a difference. Something soft like plastic can be pressed into by the calipers. Then you have to develop a touch for how much you press in to get the 'accurate' measurement. I don't know if the same person has been doing the PDGA measurements for a long time or not, but even if he/she has people aren't robots and can be inconsistent from day to day too.

or...the mold could have changed.

:\

Different plastics shrink differently too. I can't remember the exact measurements but I wrote them in a post before. I measured a DX Beast and a Champion one. The Champion was around 2.0 and the DX was about 1.8. Star and Pro or whatever will be different too. Even different runs will be slightly different. Really no two discs are exactly alike. The DX Beast even feels narrower by hand feel.

So what blend did the PDGA measure and what is the consumer measuring? Then you have measuring errors as well, where exactly are you measuring from? Usually the interior rim will be slightly rounded on the corner and are you measuring level?

Way too many variables.

Different plastics shrink differently too. I can't remember the exact measurements but I wrote them in a post before. I measured a DX Beast and a Champion one. The Champion was around 2.0 and the DX was about 1.8. Star and Pro or whatever will be different too. Even different runs will be slightly different. Really no two discs are exactly alike. The DX Beast even feels narrower by hand feel.

So what blend did the PDGA measure and what is the consumer measuring? Then you have measuring errors as well, where exactly are you measuring from? Usually the interior rim will be slightly rounded on the corner and are you measuring level?

Way too many variables.

Right?!?

Maybe they need to expand the tech standards testing to include plastic variability, updated molds, etc.

And get a 3D scanner and use the computer for measuring and take human error out of the equation.

:popcorn:

I picked up a Scepter thinking it would be like a firebird but longer. Maybe mine is odd but it's more like a shorter firebird that skips like nobodies business. It's actually a pretty great get out of jail disc.

I picked up a Scepter thinking it would be like a firebird but longer. Maybe mine is odd but it's more like a shorter firebird that skips like nobodies business. It's actually a pretty great get out of jail disc.

Which run/plastic did you get? My first run C blend is like a Raptor. More glide than a regular FB.

It's a C blend or whatever their clear plastic is. I had a buddy try it out forehand and he was pretty surprised at how overstable it was as well.

Anybody have experience with I-Blend Exodus. Specifically how much dome they have. Theres one comment here that they are more domey and thats no good

Anybody have experience with I-Blend Exodus. Specifically how much dome they have. Theres one comment here that they are more domey and thats no good

The one I had was very domey, big time pop top. Very good glide and I could throw it really far but the dome was intense.

Hopefully the newer runs aren't so pronounced. That was run 2/3.

Definitely a big dome.

Personally I'm not into it. I'm a long time TeeBird thrower in champ, star and DX and will probably keep that going as my sole fairway driver mold (the Centurion is interesting though instead of DX TeeBirds), with the next step up being champ and DX Thunderbirds.

My wife has an I-Blend 175g and I have a Scott Withers S-Blend ... the I-Blend is very domey with a "pop-top".

Attachments

• 2A0C57F3-9B23-43CC-BB62-6832B57BB89B.jpeg
    2A0C57F3-9B23-43CC-BB62-6832B57BB89B.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 9F29F0E4-8D05-49D3-9CA0-0C276D63F4BB.jpg
    9F29F0E4-8D05-49D3-9CA0-0C276D63F4BB.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 47