• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

inFlight Matrix Released!

inbounds

Eagle Member

After much development, inbounds Disc Golf is proud to announce our latest disc flight tool: the inFlight Matrix. The inFlight Matrix is a grid that plots distance vs. net stability for all discs in the inFlight Guide (all 499 of them). In addition to just viewing the discs on the inFlight Matrix, you can also mouseover any disc to preview the flight chart. The release of the inFlight Matrix solidifies the inFlight Guide as the most complete and dynamic disc flight tool available.

inFlight Matrix Features

• Compare all discs in the inFlight Guide (grouped by similar distance vs. net stability ratings)
  • Mouseover discs to preview their flight chart
  • Display full flight charts by selecting chart position from the dynamic menu
  • Grid selection based on disc name or using the dynamic Mini Matrix (below)

MiniMatrix.png

With the launch of the inFlight Matrix, we've also made several major updates and enhancements to the inFlight Guide:

• Relative Stability Scale Revision – After collecting data for two years, we've fine-tuned our algorithm for the relative stability scale. This revision further eliminates outlier values, better dials in the distance potential, and applies more range-appropriate stability ratings.
  • Enhanced Table Filtering – Ever wanted to filter the table based on a range of distances or stabilities? The latest version of the inFlight Guide includes the ability to filter the data based on an exact value, values that are greater/less than a specific value, or a range of values.
  • Onboard Instructions – We've moved the instructions page to the inFlight Guide as a separate tab at the top of the page. So if you have any questions about which button does what or which operator to use, all the information you need to view the inFlight Guide is right at your finger tips.
  • Matrix View on the Fly – Want to see where a disc lands on the Matrix? Just click the ? button while in the List View or in the chart comparison to navigate to and highlight the cell of the grid where that disc resides.
  • NEW DISCS – Almost to 500! We added these 11 discs over the course of the past few weeks but were waiting until we launched the inFlight Matrix before we released them. This brings us to 499 discs in the inFlight Guide!
    • Axiom Alias
    • Axiom Envy
    • Daredevil Big Foot
    • Daredevil Sasquatch
    • Daredevil Yeti
    • Innova Mako3
    • Innova Roc3
    • Innova Shark3
    • Latitude 64 Jade
    • Millennium Aries
    • Millennium Omega Big Bead
  • Updated URLs – Ever tried to send the web address after you've selected several discs only to find that it loads a blank page? Not to worry! Every time you select a disc to be displayed in the comparison charts, the URL will update automatically. Just paste the web address into your email & social media posts to share the flight charts.

Find out how all your discs fly at inbounds Disc Golf!

www.inboundsdiscgolf.com

www.inflightguide.net

www.inflightmatrix.com

Cool update! Love having everything right there instead of having to search all over looking for stability comparison.

I don't use flight charts, but I can appreciate all the hard work you guys do over at Inbounds. That stuff looks pretty sweet, and will help many players find exactly what they're looking for. Kudos!

I don't use flight charts, but I can appreciate all the hard work you guys do over at Inbounds. That stuff looks pretty sweet, and will help many players find exactly what they're looking for. Kudos!

Thanks!

For anybody that's used the inFlight Guide recently, you may want to press Ctrl+F5 to completely reload the page. We've made changes to some images and other underlying components and a good, solid, reload should do the trick.

What are the chances we can get this as an app? It would be stellar to have a more mobile version of this database.

How about an option that let's you enter the discs you have in your bag to check for overlap etc? One that would allow the various flight paths to overlay one another, would also let you see what shots/areas you might be missing a disc for?

Sweet! Like combining the Marshall Street flight chart's ease of reading and inBounds' data.

One suggestion - add disc dimensions to the List View data. I like being able to see actual rim size or disc height, it's useful and now clutter would be less of a problem with dual views.

How about an option that let's you enter the discs you have in your bag to check for overlap etc? One that would allow the various flight paths to overlay one another, would also let you see what shots/areas you might be missing a disc for?

This is something we have planned.

One suggestion - add disc dimensions to the List View data. I like being able to see actual rim size or disc height, it's useful and now clutter would be less of a problem with dual views.

For the time being, if you click on the next to any of the discs in the list view, you can see all the disc dimensions for any mold that's PDGA approved.

Nice to get the Innova "3" molds included. I've been wanting to see how the mako and mako3 compared on the charts. As it turns out pretty dang similar. Nice tool!

This seems like a cool feature.

Enhanced Table Filtering – Ever wanted to filter the table based on a range of distances or stabilities? The latest version of the inFlight Guide includes the ability to filter the data based on an exact value, values that are greater/less than a specific value, or a range of values.

but I can't figure out how to filter for a range. For example what if I wanted to search for discs with a HST of -25% to -35%? Is this possible?

This seems like a cool feature.

Enhanced Table Filtering – Ever wanted to filter the table based on a range of distances or stabilities? The latest version of the inFlight Guide includes the ability to filter the data based on an exact value, values that are greater/less than a specific value, or a range of values.

but I can't figure out how to filter for a range. For example what if I wanted to search for discs with a HST of -25% to -35%? Is this possible?

Here are the instructions for using the filters:

Filter: Drop-down filters can be used on the Manufacturer and Disc Type fields. For advanced searches in all other fields, the following filter operators can be used:
= Exact match search. Only the whole search word/value is matched. Ex: =0%
< Values less than search value are matched. Ex: <425
<= Values less than or equal to search value are matched. Ex: <=300
> Values greater than search value are matched. Ex: >-20%
>= Values greater than or equal to search value are matched. Ex: >=40%
&& Values between the search terms is matched. Ex: >375 && <425

So if you wanted to filter for all discs that were in the HST range of -25% to -35% (anything smaller than -25% and anything greater than -35%), you'd use this as your filter:

<=-25 && >=-35

Awesome. The filter below isn't exactly intuitive but it does work - very cool.
<=-25 && >=-35

In the future you might consider an easier more intuitive way to filter ranges but for now I'll just be happy with the current improvements:)

Very nice! It is a lot of information to take in though. Is it in the plans to allow filtering on the Matrix, say to see only a few Manufactures? Or to filter out non-approved or out of production discs?

It might also be nice to be able to the the matrix for just a subset of distances and stability ratings to allow an finer break down of just a subset of discs. There are a lot of discs in that 240'-260' / 24%-0% box, e.g..

Keep up the good work. :thmbup:

Very nice! It is a lot of information to take in though. Is it in the plans to allow filtering on the Matrix, say to see only a few Manufactures? Or to filter out non-approved or out of production discs?

Gracias! Having a manufacturer filter (as well as others) was suggested during beta testing and it's one of the features that will probably be implemented at some point. We wanted to get a usable tool out to the masses before we started putting more bells and whistles on it. In the meantime, we'll be compiling a list of other enhancements over the next few weeks based on the feedback from the initial launch.

I love the flight charts, and appreciate the ability to switch to LHBH mode....

What about some sort of flight path adjustment based on throwing power? It seems like being able to see what a disc will like do based on the ability of the user would be cool. I suppose it's mostly smoothing out the HSS, but it might be more subtle than that. And how would distance be affected based on glide and stuff? Nothing would be perfect of course, but being able to see which of the higher speed discs might be better for lower- or medium-power players would be interesting.

I love the flight charts, and appreciate the ability to switch to LHBH mode....

What about some sort of flight path adjustment based on throwing power? It seems like being able to see what a disc will like do based on the ability of the user would be cool. I suppose it's mostly smoothing out the HSS, but it might be more subtle than that. And how would distance be affected based on glide and stuff? Nothing would be perfect of course, but being able to see which of the higher speed discs might be better for lower- or medium-power players would be interesting.

We have a fully dynamic flight charting tool planned (incorporating most of the disc & player-based variables). Like everything else in life, it's just a matter of finding the time to actually do it. The inFlight Matrix has been in the works and almost ready for prime time for quite a while. We're ecstatic that the virtual logjam was finally able to clear in the past few weeks. In the meantime, you can reference this guide:

Factors Affecting Disc Flight - Player Arm Speed & Power