• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injured Finger and Upcoming Tournament

AwkWarD

So last Saturday night I locked my right index (throwing hand) in my car door, causing severe bruising as well as a real deep cut from the pressure of the locked door on my finger.

Tomorrow is the first round of Monster Mash, a 3 day mountain tournament up at Solitude ski resort and my finger is far from 100% unfortunately.

I am highly considering super gluing my finger closed, to prevent it opening up and potentially bailing on the tournament.

My question is, have any of you ever had to do such and would you recommend another method?

Please keep all PDGA legality out of this thread, spite it "may" be illegal. If you saw it I'm sure you would be sympathetic. lol

Thank you!

I drilled a hole in my fingernail to release the pressure of blood under my fingernail on Sunday evening, btw.

^ you know its legit when you gotta to that. Maybe you should post a pic of your messed up finger for everyone. I can't really think on anything that can help keep it closed up though sorry.

Sounds pretty bad. I'd rest it if I were you. Maybe drop down a division and play lefty?

Do not do what Brad suggested.

I'm not sure I would super glue it, but only because I have never done that. Will bandaids not work? Can you carry a box or three in your bag and habitually reapply them? Whatever you are going to do has to be thin and not cumbersome.

Do you throw RHBH or RHFH, primarily? If you throw forehand primarily, the finger may not be a huge issue. Backhand may be a different story.

Good luck and play strong.

I have to play lefty currently due to a injury on my right pointer finger.

Results are interesting. It's a nice challenge trying to teach yourself a new way to throw and yet immensely frustrating going from -10 to +10.

Superglue will work and it won't hurt you. Hospital ER's use it on occasion to close wounds. I've used it several times on myself.

Do you throw RHBH or RHFH, primarily? If you throw forehand primarily, the finger may not be a huge issue. Backhand may be a different story.

^I was going to say the opposite of this. I think FH would be worse considering it's on the index finger (especially if you use a 1 finger grip).

Maybe it would help if we knew your primary throwing style. I, personally, would probably play lefty. Especially if it was unsanctioned.

3 days at motherf'ing Solitude with a bad index finger doesn't like a very good combo. I had my middle finger smashed a few years ago and the ER burned a hole through the fingernail. That hurt so bad, but felt so good at the same time. I just remember how bruised the finger was after and the fingernail falling off. Can't imagine trying to play that way let alone on the index finger.

Last edited:
If a bandaid does not fix it, it needs rest. The tournament will be there next year, but you only have one finger.

wrap it up in a heavy duty bandaid and put some moleskin around that. Moleskin is normally used for blisters so it might keep friction from rubbing off your bandaid. Definitely take extra if you will be sweating.

If you already paid for the tournament just super glue it and go for it! I super glued my chin shut once, $3 is much better than $300 in the ER.

THanks for the overwhelming response folks! As per request, I will post a picture of finger, the night of the incident.

I do primarily throw RHBH but am not afraid to flick a hole. As of today, it really only hurts to extend my arm and finger. The Scab wont really stay closed because of it.

Without further adu, here are the pictures:

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

take a shot of whiskey then have your best bud punch you in the face!

Lmfao. Whiskey cures all! No, but seriously, got a friend that works ER in TN, and superglue will keep it closed as long as u wrap it. Bandaid or butterfly bandaid. Keep a small sglue squeeze tube in ur bag with bandaids; ull make it!! And good luck man!!

Super Glue and atheletic tape man!!!! unfortunately sounds like u might have to drop but i would Glue and wrap up the day before and try to play a round!!! Played Solitude before and wouldn't want to play that course when i was beat up!!!!! Best of Luck and quick recovery

I cut my pointer on a staple a few months back right next to the nail on the outside and it extended a bit to the top of my finger. It was a Friday night and I wanted to play CASUALLY on Saturday, but knew there was no way that was going to happen with that cut. I went to Walgreens and picked up some Liquid Bandage and was playing Saturday with NO adverse effects. It closes the cut up, but it also provides a nice stiff layer to it, so you don't even feel the cut. Everyone is recommending super glue, but I'd recommend liquid bandage as it forms a hard layer, that you very well might not even have to cover with a bandaid, but that would be personal preference. Be forewarned, putting it on stings like a mother! But it really does work.