• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

This doesn't seem like an attack against MVP to me. Seems like, other than the looks, they are going for something different. It reads like they are going for some type of "base line" plastic rim with a "premium" plastic core. Doesn't sound like they are going for the improved flights and gyroscopics etc.

If I recall correctly, this was the genesis of MVP's overmold. The guys were playing around in the hopes of getting something to grab the chains better, but as their understanding of discs developed they enhanced the overmold to be used for gyroscopic purposes.

This is how I remember the story from when MVP first popped up around here. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

However, to say this isn't an answer to MVP...I don't buy that. I have no problem with it, either. Business is business, and if Innova can seize upon this design legally, then more power to them.

Not nearly as well as Lat does. They lost it for a while too.
I haven't felt a Lat molded disc that comes close to Innova's old pearly plastic. They have tons of grip where most Lat just feels slick until it's been used.

Plus how can you tell if something looks cheap until you hold it?

Do we need to have a discussion about the senses and what verbs pertain to them? :p

If I recall correctly, this was the genesis of MVP's overmold. The guys were playing around in the hopes of getting something to grab the chains better, but as their understanding of discs developed they enhanced the overmold to be used for gyroscopic purposes.

This is how I remember the story from when MVP first popped up around here. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

However, to say this isn't an answer to MVP...I don't buy that. I have no problem with it, either. Business is business, and if Innova can seize upon this design legally, then more power to them.

I heard they started by putting weights in the rims of Wizards.

Great...not looking forward to all the noobs getting these and coming up to me on the course saying, "Hey, that disc looks a lot like my Atlas. When did Innova start making more of these cool looking discs?"

The only shops in my area that sell discs carry only Innova, Discraft, Millenium, and Vibram, so unless people go online to purchase their discs, Innova and Discraft easily make up 95% of all bags I see still.

Been playing for just over 1 year.

Discusses a distain for "noobs"

:clap:

Here are some possible reasonings for this in my newbish opinion:

1) They are looking for smaller companies to gauge, buy out or kill off completely. MVP is a good choice since it is small and owned by college kids whose business project took off. They don't have a bunch of young pros promoting them, or a lot of capital, market share, business people working for them, etc.

2) Maybe they really want to stop making "Flying Razor Blades", i.e. sharp edged high speed DG discs. Having soft outside molding would do less damage to trees and people. Doesn't solve the issues with large courses, low scores, etc. but might be a way forward with less sharp edged discs.

3) It is possible they have been working on a way to do this without overlapping with MVPs patents for a long time. Maybe they have found other uses for it as well. Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm gonna stay away from the Atlas unless it turns out to be the bees knees of Mids and is better than my Buzzz...

Innova is looking a little cheap with this. I might buy it just to cut it in half but it doesn't look all that great except for a few color scheme possibilities.

Innova is looking a little cheap with this. I might buy it just to cut it in half but it doesn't look all that great except for a few color scheme possibilities.

Says the guy that throws mostly MVP

Says the guy that throws mostly MVP

That cracks me up.

MVP does it, and it's greatest thing ever. Innova does it, and it's a disease!

It's something different. I'm happy to see it. If it actually has some gyroscopic properties, this could wind up being closer to a Buzzz than the Roc3.

Lol, I like how some think Innova is grasping at air.

It's a copycat move. Just like opto air from latitude. Oh and high speed drivers by everyone. Oh and "roc-clones" and "buzz-clones".

Shut up already. You know you'd all poop your pants to buy an over-molded, groove top, crystal blizzard Buzzz.

Latest posts