• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Rat..

I've been using a Rat since like July. It's awesome. Great for one disc rounds. It's one of the best driving putters that I've used and great for approaches. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite discs.

I've been using a Rat since like July. It's awesome. Great for one disc rounds. It's one of the best driving putters that I've used and great for approaches. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite discs.

Does it not feel abit fast for a drivin putter? like a slow midrange. Also is the stability that far from the numbers? I have forgotten what it flew like really. It has the same numbers as a Zone really.

Does it not feel abit fast for a drivin putter? like a slow midrange. Also is the stability that far from the numbers? I have forgotten what it flew like really. It has the same numbers as a Zone really.

I can't say its comparison to a zone since I've never thrown one, but it flies pretty true its numbers. It is very straight when thrown hard with maybe the slightest bit of right turn if the wind is pushing on it. It also has a dependable fade.

Maybe JB Zone or Breaker or Jokeri like flight? My Star Rat I've had since they came out is like 3.5/3/0/2 still. Pretty easy to overpower the Rat and get it straightened out but generally good for utility/scramble and shorter FH/BH drives off the tee.

I don't think the Rat has been made in any stiff OS plastic blend (Champ/Luster) but I think the stock Star is pretty great as is. Maybe Innova expects players to move up to a Pig/Hawg/Gator/Caiman for those type shots. I have heard of CFR Champ Color Glows and Shimmer Star and expect both would be similar to a fresh stock Star one. Shares the flat top with the Infinite Tomb (Colt/Stud V-Tech bottom) and Ruin (RhynoX/Croc bottom).

Last edited:
How's a Rat compare to a Suspect or Prodigy A4?

I think the Rat flies similar to the Suspect but has a different hand feel. The Suspect seems a little more shallow in depth and has a slightly wider rim. But, the way I use them and their flight patterns seem interchangeable to me.

The flight numbers on the Rat are way off. I think Innova wanted it to be a Zone type disc but it's not anything like that, stability wise. It's still a very useful disc though.

Last edited:

So I've been looking for an approach/midrange disc that is similar in flight to my G star shark (4/4/0/2), but has some characteristics of a pig (3/1/0/3). While my shark is nice for approach shots, it usually lands in a manner that causes it to roll out from 0-15 ft from landing. The pig, I got in order to hopefully be more accurate, and to use for FH, but it is too brick like, and had an extra problem of turning into a roller, whereas it'd end up between 0-50ft out from landing. Is the rat going to be a tweener of these discs or should I look something else?

TLDR: Flies close to a shark but sticks where it lands?

So I've been looking for an approach/midrange disc that is similar in flight to my G star shark (4/4/0/2), but has some characteristics of a pig (3/1/0/3). While my shark is nice for approach shots, it usually lands in a manner that causes it to roll out from 0-15 ft from landing. The pig, I got in order to hopefully be more accurate, and to use for FH, but it is too brick like, and had an extra problem of turning into a roller, whereas it'd end up between 0-50ft out from landing. Is the rat going to be a tweener of these discs or should I look something else?

I'd say the Rat is a tweeer between those two discs. The two Rats I own are on the softer side of Star plastic and seem to hit and stick decently well. I have a hard time using super beefy approach discs and the Rat actually as some glide and seems to work well for me. The Rat is no where as overstble as a zone, for reference.

I haven't thrown a lot of Pigs, but I found the ones I've thrown weren't super inclined towards a lot of movement once they hit the ground (not even the Champs). It's one of the reasons I chose to stick with Zones because I like that extra movement. If your Pig is catching an edge on landing, it sounds like you're throwing it pretty high and giving the disc time to get close(r) to vertical. Have you tried spending some time trying to dial in your throws lower to minimize them landing in a way that increases their probability of skips/rolls?

I haven't thrown a lot of Pigs, but I found the ones I've thrown weren't super inclined towards a lot of movement once they hit the ground (not even the Champs). It's one of the reasons I chose to stick with Zones because I like that extra movement. If your Pig is catching an edge on landing, it sounds like you're throwing it pretty high and giving the disc time to get close(r) to vertical. Have you tried spending some time trying to dial in your throws lower to minimize them landing in a way that increases their probability of skips/rolls?

IDK, maybe I have been throwing it higher, but that is only cause the Pig itself it so brickish that I feel the need too. Hasn't been a problem on my shark, (that issue I attribute more to the rim). Note that this is a new pig and I've read about it being a problem with new Pigs.

This one I've played 6 rounds with, and there's always at least one hole every round where it will get up and go. I had about a 100 ft. shot uphill on a grassy hill 200 ft long hill, there were small roots around the basket. I landed it right by the basket, but it popped up and proceeded to roll all the way down the hill, past where I was standing, by at least another 50 ft away. Never had I had a disc do that, and I've been playing that hole for over 10 years! The thumbtrac rim probably has something to do with it

After much bag/disc swapping over past few months I've determined that I think the Rat flies almost exactly like my premium plastic Envys. The one I have is a sort of beat in Star Rat and I get almost the exact same lines out of it as I do my Neutron Envy.

I love my Star AviarX3. Would the Rat be different enough from it to carry both? Sounds like to would be a really useful FH mold. Does the Rat float more than a Zone?

Just got my 175g Star Rat. I was throwing it alongside my worn ESP Zone & the comparisons I've read on this thread are true. I saw someone type that the Rat - Teebird where the Zone - Firebird. I think that's fair. I would give the Rat something like 4/5/0/2 flight #'s. Innova's rating is way off.

I had a really easy time throwing the Rat & am pretty sure it's staying in my bag. It may be replacing my Buzzz. BH, FH & short chip shots at the basket. This thing is so useful.

Just got my 175g Star Rat. I was throwing it alongside my worn ESP Zone & the comparisons I've read on this thread are true. I saw someone type that the Rat - Teebird where the Zone - Firebird. I think that's fair. I would give the Rat something like 4/5/0/2 flight #'s. Innova's rating is way off.

I had a really easy time throwing the Rat & am pretty sure it's staying in my bag. It may be replacing my Buzzz. BH, FH & short chip shots at the basket. This thing is so useful.

Why does it replace the Buzzz?

Anyone enjoy this disc? I just picked up a Shimmer Star Rat from my local shop. I tossed it for a couple rounds. It's awesome, I like how it feels in my hand. I know it's a "mid" but I used it for all my backhand approach shots/short drives off the tee. I honestly didn't feel the need for a traditional "driving putter". We'll see if it stays in my bag, but I'll definitely be bagging it at a tournament this weekend.

Spotted some stock run Rats that have a new stamp on them with 4/2/0/2 flight numbers at a couple online retailers. Slightly more realistic than the 4/2/0/3 original stamp. Only seeing lower weights with that new stamp and the Innova website still hasn't been updated so its probably a pretty recent change.

Spotted some stock run Rats that have a new stamp on them with 4/2/0/2 flight numbers at a couple online retailers. Slightly more realistic than the 4/2/0/3 original stamp. Only seeing lower weights with that new stamp and the Innova website still hasn't been updated so its probably a pretty recent change.

I like the original stamp better. Had a cool 80's vibe to it. I think 4/4/0/2 are the right #'s. Hope they make another run soon so I can get a couple more. I really want to dial this mold into my game.

I like the original stamp better. Had a cool 80's vibe to it. I think 4/4/0/2 are the right #'s. Hope they make another run soon so I can get a couple more. I really want to dial this mold into my game.

Seems like they run them at the same time as Infinite Tombs/Ruins so maybe soon! Infinite just released some I-Blend and D-Blend Tombs recently. I've picked up a few used Rats out of the trade in bins which should last me a while.

The Rat stamps have been pretty cool overall compared to a lot of the other discs. Missed out on the 2 different early Color Glow stamps, mini stamp, and a couple DGU XXL stamps but not going to pay to collect them up with the amount of F2 and used backups I have (still haven't lost/retired my first one).

Flight numbers probably shouldn't match a Shark but I'd adjust to 3.5/3/0/2 (closer to a Stud than anything). I'd probably move the Pig up to mid-range category over the Rat and adjust the Pigs numbers to 4/1/0/3. Pretty crowded Putt & Approach lineup for Innova but they have a few other 3.5 speed discs hanging around.

I like the Rat (bag one for mildly overstable putter throws), and do not want to get into a speed debate, but the Rat being a 4 speed is the biggest flight numbers lie since... I don't even know.

It has the same rim width and diameter as my Aviar. It's a 2 speed in all but name, maybe a 2.5 speed. If they called it a 3 speed because of the rim shape I'd be like sure, whatever, but a midrange it is not.

Latest posts