• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Rat..

Update: After a few more weeks of beating in, I am starting to notice some flip. Not a lot, maybe -0.5 HST. Still in the bag but throwing it less and less as it loses some of the consistency; more throws going back to the Zone.

Not sure if it will last much longer in the bag. For the lines it's starting to fly, I prefer to use the JK pro Aviar. Seems to have better touch for me.

Re-update on my Rat:

It's getting enough flip now that it's a completely different slot from the zone. Probably staying in the bag. I don't even think about it for Zone shots now, but it has it's own useful slot as a shorter Roc that's also more torque resistant, but also has even a gentler fade. Is reliable into a moderate headwind; I've never had it turn & burn on me.

Might be the most truly stable disc in my bag, meaning little flip and little fade. Really neutral. But, also doesn't have that much glide, so it's very rangable up to about 200'.

Sees use for gentle FH flex upshots and straight-to-fade when I want a nearly straight line overall. Very predictable and can confidently put some oomph on it while lining up pretty small gaps from a standstill.

Fun disc to throw. No longer regretting the impulse buy of a protostar Rat.

^agreed on the above!

Loving this disc for touch forehands, approach shots and shorter holes off the tee. The best attribute is the lack of glide and how it grabs the green when it lands. Would love to get one of these in luster, glow or flat top champ.

Oooh, color glow champ. Tough to beat the pink color glow champ for visibility in absolutely any conditions. I also think the combination of grip & durability is pretty tough to beat.

Still not a huge fan of the artwork, although I suppose the name "Rat" doesn't exactly lend itself to conventionally attractive designs.

If Innova reached out to Nintendo and put this guy on the disc, maybe I'd buy a Rat.
250px-020Raticate.png

After having read this thread I have a question: How does the rat compare to an Envy? Everyone saying that it is not as OS as a Zone/Harp but still straight with some fade sounds reminiscent of an Envy line.

I haven't thrown an Envy, but I can tell you that the Rat is a million times better, because it doesn't instill you with a weird sheep taco obsession.

Depending on the specific Harp, I think the Rat is pretty similar in stability. (I typically think of Harps as being a hair less OS than the Zone, which is how the Rat starts out.) Harp would be better if you like the beaded grip, or if you like goose stepping through Red Square on the way to give Karl Marx a toothy jibber.

Has anyone thrown the new CG champ Rats? Would be interested to hear how the profile and flight compare with the early runs of star plastic.

Last edited:
After having read this thread I have a question: How does the rat compare to an Envy? Everyone saying that it is not as OS as a Zone/Harp but still straight with some fade sounds reminiscent of an Envy line.

The Envy has always been an accurate low-glide approach disc for me. I've never found it to be particularly overstable, but more like a Stud or a Tomb. My Envy is in Neutron plastic, btw.

Ergo, the Rat is more overstable, especially when fresh out of the box. The Rat is not Zone/Harp overstable, but is more reliably stable than the Envy in my experience.

The Envy has always been an accurate low-glide approach disc for me. I've never found it to be particularly overstable, but more like a Stud or a Tomb. My Envy is in Neutron plastic, btw.

Ergo, the Rat is more overstable, especially when fresh out of the box. The Rat is not Zone/Harp overstable, but is more reliably stable than the Envy in my experience.

As long as it is not as glide-less as a AviarX3.

Cosmically, I just got back from putting (pro aviar, envy, proxy) and fieldwork with putters (envy, proxy, aviar3) and rats. Here is my take on your question and everything is my opinion and observations and I say that so i dont feel compelled to keep saying things like "for me" through the rest of the message.

Throwing today:
Proxy - 1 plasma, 1 neutron, 1 proton
Envy - 1 proton, 2 neutron
Aviar3 - 4 color glow champ(CFR), 1 luster champ(CFR)
Rat - 2 star, 2 color glow champ(CFR)

I also have, but didnt throw them today:
AviarX3 - 1 star, 1 luster champ (CFR), had a color glow also but left it lay
Aviar3 - 2 star

I would not find the Rat to be most similar to the Envy. I see the Aviar3 in star plastic being most similar to the Envy in neutron. I fully get into a Rat with forehand drive and it handles it beautifully. No HST, flies flat, fast and straight then fades. Same with luster/color glow AviarX3/3.

Order of stability (Decreasing): luster AviarX3 (very) > color glow AviarX3 > luster Aviar3 >~ color glow Aviar3 >~ Color glow Rat > star Rat >~ star AviarX3 > Envy >~ star Aviar3 >> Proxy

(> is greater than, >~ is incrementally greater than)

I have only had the glow rats for a couple days, they might be more stable then I currently am aware. If so, ill report back haha.

I definitely see some big differences in stability between luster/color glow champ and star in these innova discs. Dont notice much of a difference in the MVP/Axiom discs by plastic, but i dont throw them nearly as much.

Last edited:
Cosmically, I just got back from putting (pro aviar, envy, proxy) and fieldwork with putters (envy, proxy, aviar3) and rats. Here is my take on your question and everything is my opinion and observations and I say that so i dont feel compelled to keep saying things like "for me" through the rest of the message.

Throwing today:
Proxy - 1 plasma, 1 neutron, 1 proton
Envy - 1 proton, 2 neutron
Aviar3 - 4 color glow champ(CFR), 1 luster champ(CFR)
Rat - 2 star, 2 color glow champ(CFR)

I also have, but didnt throw them today:
AviarX3 - 1 star, 1 luster champ (CFR), had a color glow also but left it lay
Aviar3 - 2 star

I would not find the Rat to be most similar to the Envy. I see the Aviar3 in star plastic being most similar to the Envy in neutron. I fully get into a Rat with forehand drive and it handles it beautifully. No HST, flies flat, fast and straight then fades. Same with luster/color glow AviarX3/3.

Order of stability (Decreasing): luster AviarX3 (very) > color glow AviarX3 > luster Aviar3 >~ color glow Aviar3 >~ Color glow Rat > star Rat >~ star AviarX3 > Envy >~ star Aviar3 >> Proxy

(> is greater than, >~ is incrementally greater than)

I have only had the glow rats for a couple days, they might be more stable then I currently am aware. If so, ill report back haha.

I definitely see some big differences in stability between luster/color glow champ and star in these innova discs. Dont notice much of a difference in the MVP/Axiom discs by plastic, but i dont throw them nearly as much.

Good stuff! This is helpful, especially with all the different Innova 3s and X3s and different plastics. It's a lot to keep straight. I'm surprised to see the luster and color glow plastic have a greater impact on stability than the type of mold for the Innova putters. Did not expect any of your Aviar3s to be more stable than your star rats.

Plastic type makes a difference for the Axiom discs once you figure in electron (it wears fast) and Soft Neutron. A soft N Envy is usually noticeably more overstable than one in Nutron, Proton, or Plasma.

I probably won't be messing with any of the aviar variations any time soon because I love Proxy/Envy so much, but I was curious how all of these throwing putters compared to one another with Innova releasing so many new ones recently.

Good stuff! This is helpful, especially with all the different Innova 3s and X3s and different plastics. It's a lot to keep straight. I'm surprised to see the luster and color glow plastic have a greater impact on stability than the type of mold for the Innova putters. Did not expect any of your Aviar3s to be more stable than your star rats.

Plastic type makes a difference for the Axiom discs once you figure in electron (it wears fast) and Soft Neutron. A soft N Envy is usually noticeably more overstable than one in Nutron, Proton, or Plasma.

I probably won't be messing with any of the aviar variations any time soon because I love Proxy/Envy so much, but I was curious how all of these throwing putters compared to one another with Innova releasing so many new ones recently.

I forget which round exactly, but there is one of the BSF videos of McBeths round and he throws an Aviar3, looks like blue champ or blue glow champ. They mentioned that he mentioned that it was super beefy. I want to say it was a rainy round if you want to find it, bu they were all rainy =)

I forget which round exactly, but there is one of the BSF videos of McBeths round and he throws an Aviar3, looks like blue champ or blue glow champ. They mentioned that he mentioned that it was super beefy. I want to say it was a rainy round if you want to find it, bu they were all rainy =)

Round 3. It was a luster aviarX3, not a regular aviar3

He was throwing it at the Utah open as well. Might stick around for a while.

Threw a star and a color glow rat today i would say there is not much diff in stability. Most champ color glows are pretty mild on plastic stability spectrum imo. Waiting for some lusters. Any cfr lusters show up out there anybody?