• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I did see the Champs vs Chumps Part 3 video. I'm just surprised he still has a Firebird in his bag. I thought he might have just added it for that particular course. Considering he said he never fully learned/trusted the Firebird in the previous Champs vs Chumps video. I wonder if he still bags a Monster...

I believe Paul used the Sexton Firebird at the Aussie Open. The Sexybird is not quite like other Firebirds, so I'm told, and Paul may have found some comfort level with it. Also, he had a pink Champion plastic disc in his hand at one point, but I don't know if that was a Monster or another disc.

And Paul definitely used that Shryke of his multiple times at the Aussie Open; I saw it in his hand throwing it off the tee, and that was AFTER that huge forehand where Eagle spilled the beans on what it was.

I took a number of drivers out to the "range" today. There was some wind, but at first it was relatively mild, so I got some throws in. The Shryke BOMBED. I am now going to have to reconsider it for my bag. Even the Destiny did not beat it out (came in second a few times, though).

Then the wind picked up. Crosswinds. The good news is that I got to test some relatively OS discs. The bad news is that most of the discs I threw did poorly in the crosswinds (throwing both ways, I might add).

The C-Line DDx did pretty well against the wind, but I wasn't enamored over the lack of distance it gave. The Flow did very well against the wind. My Terns (Champion and Star) did not do very well, but the Hannah Leatherman Tern, which is a full 175g, fought the wind a little better than the others. The Destiny choked big-time in the cross-winds; I was very disappointed with that. The Shryke did fairly well in the winds, and had some nice skips that added a bit of distance -and- accuracy, as it skipped more forward and not too much to the side.

I will add that the Prodigy D4 was one of the tested discs, and it held up against the others pretty well. Nothing spectacular, but it wasn't hot garbage, either.

The Destiny definitely isn't a headwind disc. Not even a breeze. It's a little finicky and not easy to keep flat without it flipping. That said, it might be the longest disc I've ever thrown. It, the Vulcan, or the Nuke SS. Common theme with those three is that they're fairly understable and likely need at least a bit of hyzerflip to keep from turning and burning.

I'm a bit intrigued about the Shryke and definitely want to try it.

tried forehanding my 175g star shryke for the first time saturday. wow. i can see why mcbeth does that to get the extra glide. i have had success forehanding champ terns when i need max distance out of a forehand, but the shryke easily outdrove it.

The Destiny definitely isn't a headwind disc. Not even a breeze. It's a little finicky and not easy to keep flat without it flipping. That said, it might be the longest disc I've ever thrown. It, the Vulcan, or the Nuke SS. Common theme with those three is that they're fairly understable and likely need at least a bit of hyzerflip to keep from turning and burning.

^ True. My Destiny is new, so it hasn't been flippy or anything, and it's done well in the wind until yesterday. Admittedly yesterday was the strongest wind I'd tried to throw the Destiny into. The weather provided a 'teachable moment' day for me vis-a-vis all my discs.

Today the wind was still pretty stiff, and steadily so. I actually took my F2 Star Destroyer to the course. It acted like the (relatively) overstable Destroyer that it always has been. I'll take the DX Destroyer next time.

Destroyers have been coming off the mold WAAYYYY stable lately. All my Destroyers are older ones, and they don't fly anything like the ones now. Bosses too for that matter.

Destroyers have been coming off the mold WAAYYYY stable lately. All my Destroyers are older ones, and they don't fly anything like the ones now. Bosses too for that matter.

I've been a huge fan of bosses ever since they came out. I prefer the stars to champs because of how hss they are without just dumping out at the end. I ordered 2 star and 2 champion shrykes. I have thrown a star max weight and it was a bit straighter than a max weight champ tern. But I have a 171 star tern that is more stable than both. I got these to be a woods disc. About 70% and go straight. I'll let you know how the CFR champs shrykes fly.

I've been a huge fan of bosses ever since they came out. I prefer the stars to champs because of how hss they are without just dumping out at the end. I ordered 2 star and 2 champion shrykes. I have thrown a star max weight and it was a bit straighter than a max weight champ tern. But I have a 171 star tern that is more stable than both. I got these to be a woods disc. About 70% and go straight. I'll let you know how the CFR champs shrykes fly.

Innova is just all over the place on disc stability lately. I've thrown Bosses since they came out. I have several Dave Feldberg champions, and they all fly more or less the same. These newer ones are mega pigs. Star or champ.

Honestly, the disc I'm most excited about from Innova for big bombs is the Colossus. I've only thrown one, but it flies true to its numbers. I can only hope this mold isn't plagued by inconsistency like some others.

Innova is just all over the place on disc stability lately. I've thrown Bosses since they came out. I have several Dave Feldberg champions, and they all fly more or less the same. These newer ones are mega pigs. Star or champ.

Honestly, the disc I'm most excited about from Innova for big bombs is the Colossus. I've only thrown one, but it flies true to its numbers. I can only hope this mold isn't plagued by inconsistency like some others.

I have some of the Utah open stamp ones in champ 175 and they are bombs. Flippy though. Not nearly like the stars are or g star. Haven't tosses a regular champ one. I need to get a new boss or two. Ps if anyone is looking for any disc mainly Innova shoot me a message. I have a couple hundred extra discs that are all brand new.

Bought a couple Star Shryke's at 168 grams. Took them out to a field and threw them against my distance discs. Bosses, old pop top DD2's, World, King, Colossus, Echo Star Destroyers. The Shryke's flew great. I throw low and flat. They carried a very straight glide which is what I want. I only bag Destroyers for distance and the Shryke is going to get a good look. I did not throw into a head wind but that doesn't matter. I have plenty of Destroyers for that job.

How does the Shryke compare to tern, ddx, D3?

Just picked up a c-line ddx and was thinking of trying out a shryke too.

I have Terns in many plastics and weights, an S-Line DDx and C-Line DDx, and unfortunately have not thrown a D3 (but I have thrown a D4 and D5). Bonus coverage: I'll speak of my Westside Destiny, as well.

My Star Shryke was a lot like my Star and Champ Tern in the 167g range. It has a lot of glide, but like the Terns can easily flip over in a headwind. The feel of the Shryke is a lot like the Terns. I am not sure why, but I grip-lock the Shryke way too much.. certainly a lot more than the Terns or the Destiny. In distance, the Shryke is for me about the same as my Terns.

My C-Line DDx is more stable than my S-Line DDx; it's a better wind-fighter but does not get the same distance. The S-Line DDx is for me a more stable Tern, and an okay wind-fighter if the wind is not bad. The Shryke outdistances both of my DDxs.

And right now, my Shryke continues to underperform my Destiny, which is why I'm bagging the Destiny and using the Shryke mostly at the range.

I've tossed the Destiny vs. the a Champ and Star Tern before. The Destiny beats it hands down for distance. It's a hair faster and glides better.

I'd put the DDX behind both of them simply because its more stable and fades a bit harder at the end of flight.

The closest thing Innova has to the Destiny is the Vulcan.

Last edited:

To me, the Shryke has a very similar flight to a champ Tern, but in the hand it feels like a Destroyer; it's not nearly as shallow as a Tern. I haven't thrown a DDx, but I hear they are a little more stable than a Tern so probably also more stable than a Shryke (although I also haven't thrown a champ Shryke yet so maybe those are more similar to the DDx).

The only D3s I've thrown were protos and were all over the place in stability. I've thrown some D4's (that I really liked) that flew similar lines to a Shryke as well although they might have been a tiny bit more understable. Hard for me to tell since I haven't owned one in a couple years.

For Me with a 171g Star Shryke, it is more Stable/overstable than All my Terns, and DDx's As for D3, it depends, I've had some fliiiipppy D3's and some beefy ones, so i'd say similar to a D3 overall. But I like the Shryke , flight #'s are accurate to me.
I have a good arm, and this is NOT, i repeat NOT as understable as a Tern or DDX.

has decent turn, but fades back for sure

To me, the Shryke has a very similar flight to a champ Tern, but in the hand it feels like a Destroyer; it's not nearly as shallow as a Tern. I haven't thrown a DDx, but I hear they are a little more stable than a Tern so probably also more stable than a Shryke (although I also haven't thrown a champ Shryke yet so maybe those are more similar to the DDx).

The only D3s I've thrown were protos and were all over the place in stability. I've thrown some D4's (that I really liked) that flew similar lines to a Shryke as well although they might have been a tiny bit more understable. Hard for me to tell since I haven't owned one in a couple years.

Yes, feels like a Destroyer. That is the key for me. Personally, I get a bigger rip and more control out of a disc with a rim depth of a Destroyer/Shryke than a Tern, DDX, etc.

Just got out with the champ shrykes. I got them from dgu not the Innova store so I don't know about that run. They are amazing. I'm a big fan of the champ colossus max weight for open distance and the shryke for me fly's farther. I only have really has to throw it on 2 long holes. It carries far. I would keep the champ in the bag for longer throwers and star for am's with 13 speed arms. If you like a tern this a a great disc. Don't think you should replace your tern if you like it. Ps I bought this for a hyzers flip role. If you have a strong arm and no control you should throw a nova for a while.

Last edited:
I have a couple max weight star shrykes. I like those also but the champs don't slide rt as much. If you are looking for something more stable than a tern get the champ shryke.