• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova trying to stay popular??

I think that it is a good marketing move by Innova. They can sell a bunch of discs to noob's and then when they realize they can 't throw them, they will already be loyal to Innova, then they can sell them a bunch of slower discs until finally one day they realize they need the high speed drivers again and sell them again. Briliant!

That's because most new players are going to go out every once in a while to get drunk with their buddies. They don't care about technique or disc choice, they want a cool looking and sounding disc, and there's nothing wrong with that.

What they need then is a slower disc that has the most awesomest name ever.

Would you buy a Champion Awesome? The DX picture would be of a long-haired mosh pit hero stage diving with [insert cool band here] jamming and pyrotechnics going off by the title and ratings of the disc.

How about a KC Pro Manliness? It would be a picture of Calvin pissing on the likeness of another DG manufacturer. It would be a super fast mid that honestly is meant to hit trees.

What they need then is a slower disc that has the most awesomest name ever.

Would you buy a Champion Awesome? The DX picture would be of a long-haired mosh pit hero stage diving with [insert cool band here] jamming and pyrotechnics going off by the title and ratings of the disc.

How about a KC Pro Manliness? It would be a picture of Calvin pissing on the likeness of another DG manufacturer. It would be a super fast mid that honestly is meant to hit trees.

amen brother!

Well...it wouldn't be dgcr 2011 without a "let's all get hormonal and post on innova's new discs" thread. It hasn't even been that long since the last one (around december for wahoo).

People who play Disc Golf are really no different that regular golf players. All weekend hackers on the ball golf course are carrying a big driver that they slice or hook more often than not off of the tee. Disc Golfers are the same way...they want to throw long so they buy the biggest, baddest driver new on the market and go throw it into the woods.

Why shouldn't a company not market what it can sell?

Innova's best new disc over the past couple of years is the Mako by far. It's replaced my XD in my bag...and I've been throwing an XD for 20 years!

i'd love to see some old mold whippets

When I was at the Innova East Warehouse recently I was talking with one of the sales people...they've got old mold Whippets there...I looked at them and asked about old-mold Vipers and Scorpions. They had a few Vipers but no scorpions.

you mean this to say that innova doesn't care if someone buying their discs can't properly throw it, right?

otherwise, i'd bet a majority of their sales are idiots buying discs way too fast for them, and i think they do care about that.

color me confused...

I doubt they think this way but imagine this business model.

You have flight charts and speed ratings. Most beginners don't understand that 13 speed can't be reached by many players. The faster the disc the farther you will throw it...(I thought this). They buy the new faster discs. Get hooked and then realize wait, I need to go back to Teebirds and Eagles. So then they end up buying all the slower discing down stuff eventually anyways. How many people ahve an unused groove laying around. So, you have the fast flashy stuff to increase sales and then just keep pumping out all stuff that people "should" buy.

I'd say out of the 40 or so "1 discers" that I get to my Glow League, the one disc for 80% of them is a Boss. I sell the heck out of Teebirds, Orcs, Valks, and Rhyno's once I am able to show them their value.

I think that it is a good marketing move by Innova. They can sell a bunch of discs to noob's and then when they realize they can 't throw them, they will already be loyal to Innova, then they can sell them a bunch of slower discs until finally one day they realize they need the high speed drivers again and sell them again. Briliant!

Exactly! Not sure that it is on purpose but it seems to work that way.

I think it just goes back to the fact that Discraft is for the most part just playing catch-up. I don't mean in quality or anything, just that as the technology progresses, aka the faster they get, is where Innova will grow. Does that make sense? I mean they have already been making slow speed discs years longer than any other manufacturer, so while Discraft, Lat 64, etc are still testing and releasing their putters, mids and slower drivers, Innova has been there and done that.

Discraft, as a company, already owns the Freestyle market with the Sky-Styler and the Ultimate Market with the Ultra-Star. They might spend as much time if not more focused on the areas they already dominate.

Innova works at getting into other markets...they make catch discs and Ultimate Discs...but those don't hold up to Discraft catch discs. I love playing most every flying disc sport...I throw primarily Innova discs for golf but throw primarily Discraft for Ultimate and just playing catch.

If I'm doing MTAs or TRC I'm gonna throw Wham-O. Each of the big disc companies have areas of the market they own.

They just want to sell discs. If you buy a Katana and like it, you're likely to throw it for months until it wears out before you buy another. If you like the Katana, and they release 6 discs that are similar to the Katana, but promise more distance, you're (I'm) likely to buy a couple.

Most players want to throw further, and are always looking for that next disc that just fits their bag perfectly. I personally have a ton of drivers that I'll never keep in the bag, and I'm going to try the Vulcan, too.

I don't really feel swindled or whatever, they all fly. And they're cheap compared to most every other sport.
There aren't many things that can compare to the feeling of having that new boom boom driver riding shotgun on your way to the course!

It's really simple.
Innova does not have a brilliant plan to take over the disc world by putting out the fastest driver possible.
They make what sells.
I read that their best sellers this year have been high-speed drivers.
It just makes sense to make what sells, and right now that's high-speed drivers.

For Profit or Non-Profit?

Last I checked, Innova was still an organization that was interested in turning a profit. If the company wants to stay in business, then they will keep on keepin' on. :thmbup:

I hope this has already been stated in this thread as I did not read every post, but both Innova and Discraft have similar numbers in new molds hitting the market in recent years.

Maybe the OP is not familiar with the lesser known new releases. I love my Pro Pig and already have 2 aces with it. I also know a lot of people that love the mako as well although I have not thrown one yet. Thanks to my DGCR secret Santa, I will get to try one out in the spring!

Latest posts