• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing a newbie

anrew18

Par Member
I was thinking about taking a friend out to play some disc golf for the first time (while our wives play with the kids) and I wanted to get some input on which discs I should let him use. below is my bag. Which discs would you pull out for him? It will also most likely be a wooded course unfortunately.

Pro Katana
Champion Tern
Champion Orc
Star Firebird
Star FL
Opto Saint
Recycled Saint
Tournament Hatchet
Opto River
Star Kite
Recycled Fuse
gStar Roc3
Champ Roc3
DX Roc3
Opto Pain
Cryztal Drone
Star Mako3
DX lite Skeeter (138g)
R-Pro Dart
Recycled Pure
Zero Hard Pure
Zero Soft Pure

One of the Zero Pures (either you keep whichever one you want to use or let him pick), the Fuse, and the River. All good stable discs that he should learn fairly quickly.

Honestly - since this is a first intro and the key here is having some sort of success and having fun. Don't overthink it.

My solution is simple. Find a spot where they can empty your bag. Keep handing them discs until something resembles a normal flight. Use those discs. As they get something resembling a form, adjust as necessary if they are noob hyzering or torqueing something over.

Then - after the round - if they look to be more serious - take a step back and go the usual beginner route of putters / mids to build proper form.

I have tried the latter off the bat and the first thing I get was someone wanting to throw the same driver I was...so they could throw further. Much simpler to let them toss them all with no initial bias and just pick what works. I did this with my brother and shocker - he ended up with a buzzz and leopard in hand as we head out on the course.

My solution is simple. Find a spot where they can empty your bag. Keep handing them discs until something resembles a normal flight. Use those discs. As they get something resembling a form, adjust as necessary if they are noob hyzering or torqueing something over.

Hmm that is actually a cool idea! Thanks!

Hmm that is actually a cool idea! Thanks!

Oh - another thing. If you do remove the big guns (super OS or speed 13s, etc), make sure you take them out of your bag as well. Otherwise they'll feel like they aren't getting that 350 toss since you didn't let them try your destroyer.

I let them throw anything I bring in my bag (unless its near water and a disc I love...but they understand that selection).

Do you want him to ever play again?
If you do, Fuse and Dart.
If not, Firebird and Drone.

Timeetyo's idea is really good actually.

haha yeah no I had planned on keeping him away from anything speed 9 and over except maybe the Hatchet just because its lite and flippy

If not, Firebird and Drone.

It's funny you mention this. Now I may be an $%^&, but when playing with my brother and he was getting mostly competent with his leopard. So just to mess with him I handed him a firebird and didn't say a word. His look was priceless as I was dying laughing.

DX Roc3 would be a solid all-arounder for somebody starting out.

Could even putt with it.

as others have said, slow speed neutral discs.

I think that teaching someone to have fun while playing is the biggest key, don't bother trying to teach form/downplay how many discs there are out there. Instead focus on enjoying the activity itself.

If the bug bites them, slowly introduce form/slow discs/techniques.

Soft Putter, Dart, Kite and get a Leopard. Learn those, use the putter and Dart to start driving with. teach him a little throwing form before you go and practice at an open field so he can see the flight of the disc. Good luck.

Oh - another thing. If you do remove the big guns (super OS or speed 13s, etc), make sure you take them out of your bag as well. Otherwise they'll feel like they aren't getting that 350 toss since you didn't let them try your destroyer.

I let them throw anything I bring in my bag (unless its near water and a disc I love...but they understand that selection).

I agree with this. It would probably be discouraging for them to see you outdrive them by 250' each tee. This would probably be a good day to power down and work on your short game.

Then the next time you take them to the field you can show off and let them see what awesome drives they can have if they practice real hard.

I agree with this. It would probably be discouraging for them to see you outdrive them by 250' each tee. This would probably be a good day to power down and work on your short game.

Then the next time you take them to the field you can show off and let them see what awesome drives they can have if they practice real hard.

This is exactly what I came in here to say. Nothing depresses a new player like you telling them to concentrate on slower discs, then cranking out a 380 foot drive with your beat Destroyer right behind em. Play with them, not way out ahead of em. If you have the discs, make both bags the same or close and show them what should happen when the form and technique is good. Later on you can crank it back up to show them how it's done.