• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for THE fairway!

I have a star eagle that was super beefy when new and has now beat in it almost identical flights to my dx eagles. Didn't you mentioned you had a newer star? Why not just beat that thing in? It'll stay in that "dx sweet spot" for way longer

Yeah, that's what I was/am doing. But breaking it (old one) in took quite some time and I passed the right moment to buy fresh one. Also fresh one has the flight path that I do not need that often. Therefore idea of picking something instantly useful off the shelf appealed to me.

If they ever make them again (sigh) and I don't buy them all before you, try a 163-165g S-Line FD.

It's not a massive difference from max weight, but for me it cuts down on the "oops too much hyzer" that happens when trying to lace a hyzer-flip down a tight ~325 fairway.

That said, if you're throwing nose-up, it's going to be real tough (and maybe detrimental to your development) to find THE fairway driver. Even if you find something that's perfect right now, if you ever start fixing your nose-up release, this hypothetical THE fairway will discourage that improvement by flipping too much. (It'll fly wrong when you throw it right. Not great.)

Anywho, you might be able to change your life by doing field work and rounds with something like a Comet.

Anywho, you might be able to change your life by doing field work and rounds with something like a Comet.

Well, I'll be damned.. but I did just that. Dug out my two esp comets and threw putters and mids. I could throw them (comets) alright, no turning and burning. But they do not thrive on power so I tried to be smoother.

Today I played a round on my home course and gave River a chance as hyzerflip fairyway. It behaved just as I described fresh dx Eagle, flipped easily, but only turned over little bit, if at all. All that while flying further than ever before.

To cut gospel down abit I'll add that I do quite alot of putter/mid rounds and disc down in general. Probably I've become better technically since I deemed River useless as hyzerflip disc (for me), I just did not give it new chance. Same thing actually happened to my Mako3 once, at one point it was unusably flippy, had tendency to turn over and burn and thus went to sit in shelf. It's plenty stable now.

I shall continue using Comets though, can't hurt.

I got really good remarks and advice last time, thanks for that. I can now throw (rather) flat and nose more down and it has really made many a disc usable for me (for example Star AJ Teebird, Star Eagle, C-line FD3, Star Destroyer).

This time I'm looking for help with throwing putters. Long story short I currently throw neutron Proxy and zero medium Pure. While similar in hand, Proxy is much more resistant to being turned over and flight wise is my preferred disc. However I like base plastic more because of better grip (It's only an issue with snow and rain really. I don't even recall having bad release with Proxy because of grip, but I have to concentrate on it. I don't even need to wipe Pure dry to have confident grip). I tried Proxy in electron plastic, but that flies almost like Pure, no resistance to turnover. Like with fairways, not blaming it on discs, it's my current technique. I'm looking for disc that has wide margin for error while I get better.

Finally to my question, could electron Envy be what I'm looking for? Open to other suggestions as well, has to be shallow and straightflying.

Well at this point an electron Envy could fill a slot or two in your bag.. It takes a decent beating (3 months for me) to get it into Proxy territory but if your premium proxy is turn resistant and your electron is not, it's a logical jump. Electron envy is the easiest plastic to wear in and honestly it kind of feels different from other envy's. It also glides the most out of any envy I own.

With your Comet, Proxy, Pure lineup it would probably slide right in as a stable complement as it wears into the proxy spot.

Finally to my question, could electron Envy be what I'm looking for? Open to other suggestions as well, has to be shallow and straightflying.

That's kind of tough. I do think an Electron Envy is worth checking out, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Premium Envies and Proxies are kind of unicorn molds -- torque and turn resistant, but still straight flyers rather than meathooks. They are the least finnicky straight flying discs I've ever thrown. That gyro magic just isn't the same in electron plastic. Not to say Electron Envies are bad. They are still good discs, but after beating in won't be the same as a Neutron or Proton Proxy. A broken-in Electron Envy will both turn and fade more.

I'm looking for disc that has wide margin for error while I get better.

Personally, I don't think there are many putters out there that will cover up too many errors. Generally, putters kind of go where you send them and if you send them in an unintended direction they typically want to go there regardless of your intentions.

Now, discs like the Zone/Harp/Pig will definitely keep you from accidentally turning them over but the cost of that forgiveness is they will pretty much always have a decent finish at the end of their flight.

These days I'm bagging an electron Envy and a BT soft Harp. The Envy is for dead straight shots with little to no finish and turnovers. The Harp is for when I definitely don't want to leak right and/or I want a decent low speed fade at the end.

Personally, I don't think there are many putters out there that will cover up too many errors. Generally, putters kind of go where you send them and if you send them in an unintended direction they typically want to go there regardless of your intentions.

Now, discs like the Zone/Harp/Pig will definitely keep you from accidentally turning them over but the cost of that forgiveness is they will pretty much always have a decent finish at the end of their flight.

These days I'm bagging an electron Envy and a BT soft Harp. The Envy is for dead straight shots with little to no finish and turnovers. The Harp is for when I definitely don't want to leak right and/or I want a decent low speed fade at the end.

The only form flaw that Putters don't complain about is slight nose-up. Mids don't even whine so much, but fairways and up will explain to us how slight nose-up hurts their feels.

Latest posts