• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for THE fairway!

Erik.SR

Hello!

I'm fond of neutral/stable discs and I've got most of my bag covered, except for fairways.

I'm listing other neutral slots so you maybe get better idea what I might be looking for.
This is not my full bag! Unless I say otherwise I have backhand in mind.

Putters: base line Pure (beat,waffle-like and abit flippy) and neutron Proxy (truly neutral for me). Normally I throw them up to ~250ft, have gone past 300ft, but Pure especially will get more errant because of considerably increased effort (less control).

Midputter: beat to hell base plastic Harp. Really really neutral. Mostly forehand up to 250ft.

Mids: gstar Mako3. Stands up from small hyzer, rides for a long while and fades abit in the end. 260 - 310ft. Relatively little use actually, mostly I throw either putter or fairway in this distance bracket.

Driver: Gstar Wraith. Small hyzer, flat, small anhyzer - all types of releases produce similar flights.

Fairway: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I've tried some:
DX Teebird - very sensitive, fade or turn, but no neutral flight. Few brilliant throws though.
Gstar Teebird (165-170g) - overstable.
Star Teebird (Jenkins) (165-170g) - way overstable, not really beating in either.
Star FD (175g) - too overstable, but maybe after some beating.
Star Eagle-X (169g) - way overstable (slightly less than Jenkins' teebird)
Start Eagle-X (167g, beat to hell) - too sensitive, either fade or turn too much.
DX Thunderbird - pretty good for a short while, then too flippy (wooded courses)
DX Eagle-X - absolute best of what I've tried. Can take wide range of input and produce
quite narrow band of output. Very good for forehand as well (not full power). Sadly, dx plastic and wooded courses = Too short lifespan and I did use it sparingly.
Star Sidewinder (169g) - Too long, also little bit too sensitive and touchy.
Opto River (170-175g) - Not a bad disc, but not neutral. Have it in my bag but in understable slot.

I prefer star/gstar/pro (like) plastic over champion (like). DX is too shortlived for my accuracy level. Innova/Discmania/Trilogy/MVP/Axiom/Discraft/Prodigy brands are more available to me.

What works for you?

I'm sure that Jenkins Star Teebird will eventually beat in for you.
I hear that TL3s are excellent straight flyers perhaps one of those in Star.
Those DX discs are going to beat so quick in the woods I think you just need to try them in alternative plastics and be willing to beat some of the stability out of them over time.

I play lots of wooded courses, so I know how discs beat in, so I hear you on that. But, I love cycling DX Eagles and I back them up with a Star Eagle. A seasoned Star Eagle is a thing of beauty in the woods. My other fairway is a Millennium Polaris LS.

Could Try a star TL or TL3, but if you don't care for DX Teebirds, I don't think the flight is going to be much different. I can use them interchangeably.

Some other recommendations;
Stag
Polaris LS
JLS
Leopard
Exodus/Eagle-L
Mantis
Stalker
F3
I've Thrown all of these and they come in a range of plastics.

I'm sure they're are many others, but these are what I can recommend.

I play lots of wooded courses, so I know how discs beat in, so I hear you on that. But, I love cycling DX Eagles and I back them up with a Star Eagle. A seasoned Star Eagle is a thing of beauty in the woods.

This is my exact set up and it's awesome. I now have 2 DX eagles in the bag with a Star for beef. The star eagle started out super stable but is slowly beating in beautifully. I have a thrashed dx eagle that is a hyzer flip machine and a fresh one that is money as the OP pointed out.

One other disc I'll throw out that you don't hear about often is a DX banshee. They have a nice, workable fade out of the box and beat in to basically a slightly shorter, less OAT sensitive teebird. Between my 3 eagles and 2 banshees I feel like my fairways are solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think if he says a Star FD is too stable for this slot, and a River is too US that's a very narrow area.

Prodigy F5
Innova Leopard is beloved by a ton of people even if it's a little slower for a fairway
Discraft you can get either a flippier undertaker or a mantis (mantis is faster)

The most neutral/straight fairway i have ever thrown is the MVP Volt. It starts out straight with late fade and just gets straighter and straighter as it beats in.
The Gyro keeps it on the line you throw it. I recommend a low 170s high 160s in Neutron plastic....(*not cosmic neutron, the few i tried were very OS)

Westside Stag's are amazing. That's what I'd recommend. TL3 is a good one too. Never thrown a TL. Keller's list is really solid.

The straightest disc in my bag is a max weight P-Line FD- it flies arrow straight, it's amazing. The S & C line versions have way more of a fade out at the end.

I personally was never impressed by the TL3 or the TL.

Pretty sure is he finds the FD too OS, he'll find the Volt and Banshee too OS as well. I've thrown all 3 and bag a couple FDs, FD is definitely the most neutral of them.

Stag is a good suggestion.

Leopard3 also a good one to look at.

Could also suggest picking up some used FDs or teebirds. Never bad to grab a disc that's already seasoned.

I'd go with (and I do go with) that S-line FD.

You might find it "too overstable" now, but throw it a bit and it should be pretty much neutral. Not only should it go pretty much dead straight but should still hold a hyzer and should take an anhyzer very well also.

If I only bagged one fairway to cover everything it would be an S-line FD.

So it sounds to me that you are trying to find a dead straight fairway. Good luck with that, especially if you throw with a natural hyzer release or a nose up trajectory. Trust me I've been looking for one since 2016 at the latest. Closest thing I've found is a Champion/Star Leopard that has been seasoned to knock off the newness, though that was throwing them 300'-330', now at 330'-360' I find ESP Stalkers to be very straight, YMMV.

I think if he says a Star FD is too stable for this slot, and a River is too US that's a very narrow area.

This is a very narrow range.

Throw the FD more I say. Maybe get another to see if you have a bit of an outlier?

My second thought is Eagle-L/Exodus I think you can get a G* Eagle L from at least the factory store. Exodus in I-blend would be the best plastic for that disc.

DX Teebird - very sensitive, fade or turn, but no neutral flight. Few brilliant throws though.
Just read the OP again, and I have to say that maybe you should work figuring out what you did to get those few brilliant throws, rather than looking for a new mold. If you are looking for a neutral fairway, a dx teebird should be perfect. DX teebirds start straight to fade, and as they beat in they lose LSS and just get straighter, but they always retain their HSS. The reason people can bomb beat DX teebirds is because you can give them any amount of power and they won't turn over, they just glide straight for days. They do require a clean release though.

Thank you all for your input so far! I just feel I need to clarify that I'm looking for forgiving mold, so I guess neutral is not correct term. I want disc to have net straight flight despite my errors with nose angle, OAT etc (to reasonable extent). Other molds I listed as neutral (and meant forgiving) act like that for me.

I'll answer more thoroughly after I've gotten some sleep.

I use an MVP volt for this slot but first thoughts are the Millennium JLS or Gateway Sabre.

Honestly you just need a more stable disc to beat in. My straightest disc is a beat to hell S PD. I really like having a pro or x plastic disc and a star disc of the ones I cycle. The pro plastics beat in to money very quickly while you work on the star plastic.

Other options are:
TL
I've heard Gazelle and even Cyclone for some oldies (no personal experience)
Teebird really needs beat in to be straight
Discraft Tracker can be like a teebird that's slightly shorter but with less fade imo
Discs like Gateway Assassin and Innova Viking can be money but with start getting too understable. The assassin doesn't have much fade at all and is a great low power fairway from what I remember

So it sounds to me that you are trying to find a dead straight fairway. Good luck with that, especially if you throw with a natural hyzer release or a nose up trajectory. Trust me I've been looking for one since 2016 at the latest. Closest thing I've found is a Champion/Star Leopard that has been seasoned to knock off the newness, though that was throwing them 300'-330', now at 330'-360' I find ESP Stalkers to be very straight, YMMV.

I'll base my answer on this post because I think it hits the nail with hyzer release/nose angle diagnosis. I think my angle control (hyzer and nose) leaves a lot to be desired and therefore some discs appear too touchy or sensitive to me. Practice will help, but it will take time. Meanwhile I need a crutch.

DX Eagle in it's short prime was very good (crutch). Whatever deviations I have in my throws did not really affect flight path that much. I was confident how it would fly (hyzer flip to flat or slight turnover, looooong portion of flight straight, some fade in the end). Have my longest hole in one with it so far also (296ft, flat, in the woods, disc never left 3x3ft imaginary tunnel). I believe I throw my (very) beat Star Eagle same way but disc is showing me the flaws instead of masking them :). I realize it's good thing in practice but not in competition play. Now (at least my beat) DX Teebird is even more finicky and I'm simply unable to control it (yet). Turnover is very slow but there's no way of telling if it ever stops. Most likely user error.

Diagnosed and admitted natural hyzer release syndrome combined with possible nose up issue explains why many discs act too overstable for me. About my opto River: 1) It's beaten 2) I have to throw it flat and hard to turn it over and not come back so it's not WAY understable for me. That makes the area between fresh star fd and beat opto river bigger.

Got a chance to make one throw with Mantis and F5 (both had only few throws on them). Slightly mellower than my star fd, good suggestions. I have many suggestions to work through now, thank you all. If information I added about my throw changes your opinion, pease let me know!

I'll base my answer on this post because I think it hits the nail with hyzer release/nose angle diagnosis. I think my angle control (hyzer and nose) leaves a lot to be desired and therefore some discs appear too touchy or sensitive to me. Practice will help, but it will take time. Meanwhile I need a crutch.

DX Eagle in it's short prime was very good (crutch). Whatever deviations I have in my throws did not really affect flight path that much. I was confident how it would fly (hyzer flip to flat or slight turnover, looooong portion of flight straight, some fade in the end). Have my longest hole in one with it so far also (296ft, flat, in the woods, disc never left 3x3ft imaginary tunnel). I believe I throw my (very) beat Star Eagle same way but disc is showing me the flaws instead of masking them :). I realize it's good thing in practice but not in competition play. Now (at least my beat) DX Teebird is even more finicky and I'm simply unable to control it (yet). Turnover is very slow but there's no way of telling if it ever stops. Most likely user error.

Diagnosed and admitted natural hyzer release syndrome combined with possible nose up issue explains why many discs act too overstable for me. About my opto River: 1) It's beaten 2) I have to throw it flat and hard to turn it over and not come back so it's not WAY understable for me. That makes the area between fresh star fd and beat opto river bigger.

Got a chance to make one throw with Mantis and F5 (both had only few throws on them). Slightly mellower than my star fd, good suggestions. I have many suggestions to work through now, thank you all. If information I added about my throw changes your opinion, pease let me know!

I have a star eagle that was super beefy when new and has now beat in it almost identical flights to my dx eagles. Didn't you mentioned you had a newer star? Why not just beat that thing in? It'll stay in that "dx sweet spot" for way longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk