• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Iowa] RAGBRAI courses

notroman

* Ace Member *
RAGBRAI is coming up. I plan on figure out a way to strap two discs onto my bike and play whatever courses I have time to play along our route. This is my current "wish list" on the site. If anyone can chime in about any of these courses and/or availability during RAGBRAI that would be helpful.

Onawa, IA - Onawa DGC
Denison, IA - Denison Job Corps Center*
Coon Rapids, IA Coon Rapids DGC
Boone, IA - McHose Park
Ames, IA - Gateway Hills Park**
Nevada, IA - Harrington Park
Newton, IA - Woodland Park
Montezuma, IA - Montezuma DGC
Iowa City, IA - Peninsula Park DGC
Rock Island, IL - Longview Park***

* Course notes here say that you must be an employee or a student to play this course. Anyone from the area know how strict this is and/or how I can get to play a round?

** This is an optional course since my goal is to play one course per day, and I'm going to be playing McHose park same day. Only on my list because I played this course way back in the day (maybe in '03 or '04) and would love to throw it again, if I'm not too tired.

*** Also an optional course - not sure how logistics will play out about getting across the river and how tired/willing my girlfriend will be to take our car here for a quick round. Ideally I will play this, but I'm not sure if it's doable. Alternative would be Credit Island since it's more along the route, but I will just have a midrange and a putter with me and I'm not sure how fun that course will be.

Tough call in Longview (not very well marked) Camden Two is worth the drive (all wooded, all grass fairways, mowed tight most of the time). West Lake is within reach, but with only a few discs would be dangerous.

Picked Longview because it's close to the finish line (downtown Davenport) and because I have not played there before. Camden Two and West Lake are great recommendations (my favorite 2 courses in quad cities, actually), and I have played both courses many times, but they're a bit too far out of the way for this trip.

Not jumping in because I know anything of Iowa courses.

But I have ridden Ragbrai in the past. What a lot of fun!

Adding a course to play each day would be excellent!

The Peninsula Park Disc Golf Course in Iowa City is excellent. You should most definitely play it if time permits.

The Peninsula Park Disc Golf Course in Iowa City is excellent. You should most definitely play it if time permits.

That's one of the few courses along my route that I have already played. Unfortunately there are no courses at all along our route from Sigourney to Iowa City, so to stick with my one course per day goal I picked Peninsula. Hopefully it's not too overgrown.

WVwlbRj.png

Bike is all packed and ready to go. I am bringing a 2018 MJ tour series ESP Comet and an old Eraser Wizard. Discs are warping a bit as they are, but that's alright.

I can't tell from the angle is that SRAM?

Battery pack for lights or sound?

I ride an older Millennium / Massengill full carbon custom 10 speed campy Chorus. I love it!

WVwlbRj.png

Bike is all packed and ready to go. I am bringing a 2018 MJ tour series ESP Comet and an old Eraser Wizard. Discs are warping a bit as they are, but that's alright.

Enjoy RAGBRAI. Some of the most memorable weeks of my life were spent on RAGBRAI! I hope to ride it again someday...... My first RAGBRAI started in Onawa!

Sounds like a great time. Hope you have a blast!
:thmbup:

How did McHose Park turn out, and what are the current conditions of the course? I can't imagine playing that course and also riding 62.2 miles in the same day.

How did McHose Park turn out, and what are the current conditions of the course? I can't imagine playing that course and also riding 62.2 miles in the same day.

Really curious myself. That place is freaky. Thinking about doing makeovers on Saturday. Des Moines challenges involving for courses this weekend locally.

Unfortunately I lost my phone while I was in Boone and spent several hours trying to get it back. Did not have time to hit that course up. Got my phone back, though!

I should have thought of that.

How reliable is it? Did you have to recharge during Ragbrai?

I haven't ever had any issues with it, so I'd say very reliable. I was going to bring a spare battery to RAGBRAI but forgot it at home. Did not need to recharge at all, and I wasn't shy about shifting through all the hills!

I haven't ever had any issues with it, so I'd say very reliable. I was going to bring a spare battery to RAGBRAI but forgot it at home. Did not need to recharge at all, and I wasn't shy about shifting through all the hills!

Nice, technology has really improved!

Glad you had a good ride!