• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

iron hill DE

vanzandt

I just read the recent review on this course.It is spot on too.I just for the first time played there on saturday and drove an hour to get there.I thought it was awesome and grueling.Every hole is at least 500 ft.All im saying is read the review then play the course.Anyone played this monster?

yup, several times. played a tourney there as well. great course. it gets a little repetitive in spots, but overall still awesome.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, would definitely return - can't wait to play it again someday. I love heavily wooded courses with defined fairways like that. Not quite enough variety to warrant a 5.0 rating from me, but solid 4.5. Lived up to the hype.

^Pretty much my thoughts exactly, great 4.5 level course that's worth going out of your way for if you like tough, long wooded golf.

Best thing is - it's not that far out of the way. Right off 95. No crowds. No wind. If you're looking for a casual ace round - go somewhere else. But to test yourself, this is a phenomenal course.

Adam's review was straight up and very honest. The Am tees and the Silver baskets have taken much longer to put in then originally planned. Many of the first Am tees were rushed and just didn't work. At that point I had to slow down and decided not to put anything in that didn't fit in with the course. I also had to raise the money for the Silver baskets without any help from the parks. You really can't blame them since they covered the entire cost of the Gold to Gold course. If there really is a problem with the course it is that in its present state playing the Gold to Gold course requires pin point 370" drives to do well.

Like Adam said, many of the pins have been moved to adjust the par. As we've cleared things out, and we have a lot some of the pins had to be moved. Any one who has not played the course in recent years should really try it again. All five par 3's are under 400'. I know if you can't reach them they all seem like 500+.

Iron Hill is not for every one. It's not really scenic. There are very few places to throw any big flex shots. There are no par 2's. No one is shooting an 1120 rated round here. It's straight forward, no gimmicks. Throw 350+ line drives accurately, make good decisions about going for the risky shot or the lay up and you'll shoot well. When you leave you'll know you've been tested both physically and mentally.

By the way, it was Adam who built the steps on 17.

This place is sick. I always swear I'm going to get a 4 on the par 6, but it just doesn't happen. Once I lost a FR sidewinder here and "jimimc" happened to be there to open the lost and found and give it back on another occasion. He then proceeded to whoop me and my buddy by throwing "pin point 370' drives" on every hole.

Much respect to Jimi and Iron Hill. Next time you are in this area you should play Iron Hill followed by Carousel; it's a wonderful contrast in Delaware disc golf, both monster courses.

Next time you are in this area you should play Iron Hill followed by Carousel; it's a wonderful contrast in Delaware disc golf, both monster courses.

I personally like Carousel better. It has the perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes. Iron hill gets repetitive, its like the same tight, wooded fairway hole after hole. It's like the Nock, minus the things that make Nock great

I think both courses have their pros and cons. I loved Iron Hill as a challenging course that really shows you what you need to improve on in your game. Of course, so does Carousel with its open bomber holes where if you can't throw 400+ it seems like the pin just never comes into striking range. I know when I played Iron Hill when I finished I was like Diego in Ice Age "Who's ready for round 2." When I finished Carousel I felt like I need to call the paramedics and get an adrenaline shot. I was physically exhausted at the end of Carousel...and I'm used to playing anywhere from 36 to 54 holes at Tyler State Park.

Iron Hill is one of the best courses on the East Coast that I have played so far in my limited DG adventures. If it holds up to my future road trips...then great for Iron Hill.

I personally like Carousel better. It has the perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes. Iron hill gets repetitive, its like the same tight, wooded fairway hole after hole. It's like the Nock, minus the things that make Nock great

if by 'perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes' you mean '4 kind of wooded holes and 14 wide open holes' then yeah i guess that's accurate. not much of a mix. i'll take the repetitiveness of the woods over wide open grip and rip shots. carousel is nice but feels like a driving range, iron hill is a golf course.

One reason I prefer Iron Hill over Carousel - at Iron Hill I can blame the trees for my bad shots.

Carousel can be tougher to follow (even with a map) and it can get overgrown with thorny roughs (and pedestrians, and deer ticks). I'm not a fan of the last few Carousel holes, they just seem like repetitive open throws.
Carousel is much tougher to find coming off of I-95, but it's truly beautiful, especially considering its immediate surroundings.

Maybe a controversial statement but I think Iron Hill is the most challenging disc golf I've played. Nevin is also very long and woodsy, with extremely punishing rough, but the mixed open/tight, left/right, long/medium length holes help with your attention span. Some courses wear you down mentally because you can't find the tee pads or baskets or your discs in the rough. Iron Hill wears you down with long straight wooded disc golf. A very well designed and maintained course that challenges you mentally and physically on just about every hole.

I would say the perfect mix of holes is the combination we use at the Delaware Disc Golf Challenge of both Iron Hill and Carousel. I also don't think Iron Hill is that repetitive. I know some people think it is, but when you break it down I have to disagree. I get that it's 90% wooded, but I don't think that makes it repetitive.

From a RHBH point of view. Hole one a high anhyzer. Hole two a high hyzer. Hole 3 a power drive to set up your approach. Hole 4 roller. Hole 5 a straight uphill 300' fairway drive with a slight fade, to set up a power s shot. Hole 6 a 325' shot to set up a 320' flick or low turn over. Hole 7 a down hill flip Roc or Buzz shot. Hole 8 a power shot up hill to set up a risk reward anhyzer or two precise 200' shots. Hole 9 a big hyzer flip. Hole 10 a slight hyzer to set up 2 more drives. Hole 11 throw as hard as you can down a 10' wide fairway. Hole 12 a 300' shot thrown with as over stable of a disc as you dare. 13 a down hill hyzer. 14 a 370' dead straight shot threw a 15' gap. Hole 15 an uphill 385' crush. Hole 16 throw as far as you can with no fade. Hole 17 a hyzer flip and then up to 4 more drives depending where you land. Hole 18 a 400' drive with a good fade a skip.

Most of the RHBH hyzer actually play well for gusty LHBH anhyzers. I understand the woods seem the same and you can only throw what you know how too, but I always carry my whole bag and use at least 2/3 of it.

I need to get back to Iron Hill, can't believe its been almost 3 years! I was just up at Nockamixon the other week and had some kind of deja vu like Nocky gave birth to those two mutants of Iron Hill and Carousel. :)

I love Iron Hill. It kicks my butt but my game has improved just from playing Iron Hill.. I usually play Short to Longs.. it's my favorite layout

if by 'perfect mix of wooded and wide open holes' you mean '4 kind of wooded holes and 14 wide open holes' then yeah i guess that's accurate. not much of a mix. i'll take the repetitiveness of the woods over wide open grip and rip shots. carousel is nice but feels like a driving range, iron hill is a golf course.

Yea but then there are wide open holes that end up in the woods too. By all means Iron Hill is good, and if I lived around there I would probably play it all the time. The majority of courses I play are tight and wooded, but they have something else going on to spice it up. Iron hill does not. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the tight wooded courses around me?:) Or maybe I liked Carousel more then Iron hill because I don't get to grip it and rip it on wide open holes too much? who knows lol

Iron Hill is one of my favorite courses to play....definetely well designed and thought out.
Gold to Gold It is beyond my skill level.....my goal is to break 80 there.
It's not easy and yields few birdie chances.....you earn your par here. I think it's beautiful.....I would suggest you just look up at the canopy every so often.....I have seen few places on the east coast with as many old growth trees forming such a high cathedral like canopy anywhere on the east coast. Nevin in NC is similiar but has a few more extreme greens but also has a lull in the middle of the course. Nocky has more oob to deal with and has more unique landscape with waterfalls, views, boulders but the run ups and boulders/sloppy terrain can ruin your day...Iron Hill the challenge is derived by requiring you to make specific throws....the less of a player you are the more likely the course will seem to require a slightly understable driver a mid and a putter.....but I agree there are nuances and far away breaks in the fairway that many cannot fathom reaching off the tee. It is definetely more interesting to longer throwers. I think hole 6 is one of the best disc golf holes Ive played...requiring specific lines and landing zones to set up equally challenging shots.....full of punishment and reward.
It seems much of the course strives to evolve in this way. There are holes I hate and moments I hate on this course but these holes and moments are exposing weaknesses in my game and are not a reflection of the course or design.

Gotta love tyler.. Never played Nock though.. Do love playing Tinicum every now and than. That's one of my favorite courses

You got to check out Nockamixon when you get a chance you'll definitely enjoy it! I play Tinicum a lot too. Now that's the definition of a wide open course:) For a good day of golfing I like going up and playing Tinicum, then crossing back over into Jersey and playing Alexandria(They are literally 10 minutes away from each other)

Latest posts