• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

I think people over exaggerate how quickly DX breaks in.

The molds that were designed for DX plastic are great candidates for DX plastic. These are going to be most any disc designed before 2001. The PDGA Approved Discs list has a column for the approval date so that might be a good start on your "better in DX" list.

Putters and mids are fabulous in DX and I rarely ever throw them in any other plastic, except for Comets which do not come in Pro-D. The fairway drivers like the TB, GZ, Cyclone and EX are also fabulous in DX. The Valk is the fastest thing that I like to throw in DX. After that the disc geometries become to fragile for the characteristics of the DX blends. Occasional use is probably acceptable to my standards but a mainstay distance driver in my bag will probably not be a DX disc. After having said that I will say that I sometimes throw in a DX Wraith for pure distance in grassy fields with no possibility of tree-strikes.

Summary:
Give DX a chance in the older molds. They just might change your perception.

I actually prefer DX/D 2nd to only X and Pro. Just seem to get so much more glide than the star/esp/champ/z discs and I play some wooded courses and they are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Its important to note though; that I am a 300' thrower and I played with a guy who easily would clear 450', and his disc hitting a tree would be far more destructive than my disc hitting a tree just in the velocity but he also wont miss the distance from going to the elite plastics as much as I would either.

My issue with DX and Pro-D is that it's inconsistent from run to run. Which makes buying them sight-unseen (online for example) is unwise. So, I keep 2 molds in my bag in these plastics, knowing that I'll have to pick them up and feel them before I buy them. But, if I lose any of my others discs, I can hop on the interwebs and replace them pronto.

Rocs and Cyclones are just too much fun in cheap plastic to pass up.

My issue with DX and Pro-D is that it's inconsistent from run to run. Which makes buying them sight-unseen (online for example) is unwise. So, I keep 2 molds in my bag in these plastics, knowing that I'll have to pick them up and feel them before I buy them. But, if I lose any of my others discs, I can hop on the interwebs and replace them pronto.

Rocs and Cyclones are just too much fun in cheap plastic to pass up.

I dont know that I would think that DX grade is any more inconsistent than premium grade plastic. Maybe it has something to do with what was mentioned before where older dics, pre-premium plastic mold more consistent in DX and newer molds might be more consistent in premium.

I actually prefer DX/D 2nd to only X and Pro. Just seem to get so much more glide than the star/esp/champ/z discs and I play some wooded courses and they are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Its important to note though; that I am a 300' thrower and I played with a guy who easily would clear 450', and his disc hitting a tree would be far more destructive than my disc hitting a tree just in the velocity but he also wont miss the distance from going to the elite plastics as much as I would either.

But, in my experience, most players with enough skillz to huck a disc 450' also have the accuracy to avoid the first 3 trees in the fairway.
Cheap plastic doesn't taco when it hits a tree 200' into its flight. It tacos when a guy like me tries to throw it into the next zip code, griplocks it and hits the tree 10' feet in front of the tee pad. :hfive:

And yeah, Pro/KC Pro/Elite X is my preference as well.

I dont know that I would think that DX grade is any more inconsistent than premium grade plastic. Maybe it has something to do with what was mentioned before where older dics, pre-premium plastic mold more consistent in DX and newer molds might be more consistent in premium.

Could be. I really only throw Rocs and Cyclones in cheap plastic (DX/Pro and X, respectively.) Which, obviously, are some of the oldest molds out there.
The Cyclones are always consistent, it seems. The Rocs...well, I'm not going to hijack this thread with another one of those conversations. :sick:

I think the inconsistency I've witnessed is more in the plastic composition than the molds. DX and even KC Pro seems to fluctuate wildly in comparison to Star/ESP/Z/Champ. Though Champ does change some.

\
Voted: Best Post of the Thread.
Not much more needs to be said.

but i will..
For beginners, i think DX is great. It's inexpensive and fairly durable (noobs cant throw very hard anyway.)

For the rest of us... it depends on the purpose. Sometimes, when i get a "new disc itch" i'll go buy an experiment disc in DX to see if it's worth buying in Champion or Star. *My bag is basically set, and i have a very good idea of what most discs that i dont (or havent) owned do...
or
There are some that like how DX throws "out of the box" (see Avery Jenkins - Dx Destroyer - Distance Record Attempt Disc).. There is something to be said about having consistency out of the box in a very cheap method.
or
DX Roc ('nuff said)
DX Aviar
I'm almost positive Avery uses a Pro Destroyer as his max D disc. He's said on several occasions that the disc has more glide than anything else on the market, and that he'll set the WR in distance with it one day

It really does boil down to a disc-by-disc choice...One thing to get past is that when those first cuts, scratches, dings, and bends get in a DX disc, it isn't the end of the world. It's not a Ferrari. While it may loose some of it's aethetics, the flight changes that it will undergo are very desireable.

IMO, Rocs, Gazelles, Eagles, and Teebirds are amazing discs in DX. That doesn't mean they are no good in other plastics.

In general, in these four molds, I've found Champ to be a touch more stable. So I use that to my advantage.

I didn't really like the Roc in Champ, but I do carry KC Pro, for more durability so that I always have one the will be stable. But many will add a new DX Roc in once the prvious one starts to change flights.

The 11X (Champion plastic, essentially) Gazelle is a very stable straight flyer, the new CFR Glow has slight turn, but is more stable than it's DX ancestor. I really like the 12X Eagle-X in champ (but not so muchin Star) and as main control/fairway driver, it's fade is very predictable with more resistance to bigger turnings. But an DX Eagle-X breaks into a really sweet S-disc, with more distance/glide, and when it get's really beat, is a nice big turnover disc with now fade back. In fact, the Roc, Gazelle, and Teebird do this, too.

Now rocky and wooded courses will beat up those DX discs a bit faster, but that's not bad, either. The disc does not become useless. It will change a bit from it's brand new flight, but really stays in this "sweet spot" for some time.

I was skeptical of this at first, and did reject DX for a while. But the continued praising of these aged discs roused my curiousity and I started trading for 7/10ish DX plastic, so I could see. One was a Roc which did a really nice smooth turnover, and held anny lines to the ground. I acquired it last Oct and it still flies about the same. And I have two other DX Rocs in the bag, one is a bit more beat (but not flippy) and one is really in that nice, stable, glidy phase. I use this as my main mid-range driver when trying to get longer shots. It is almost as stable as a new one, but with a bit less fade, more glide, translating into about another 20 ft. The other Roc is a KC Pro, so that it stays stable for shots that require it.

There's a whole other thread on flight properties and how these "beauty marks" affect glide, turn, and fade, so we'll not repeat it here.

To put is short: Yes.

DX is the finesse plastic.

I actively throw wraiths and 150 class innova DX plastic. If I threw innova mids, they would be DX plastic except for maybe a star mako...if I used one.

Teebirds rock in DX.

\/\/

I'm almost positive Avery uses a Pro Destroyer as his max D disc. He's said on several occasions that the disc has more glide than anything else on the market, and that he'll set the WR in distance with it one day

i recant..
you are right...

it was late, and i remembered incorrectly.

Avery setting the distance record? what a joke, he can't even throw over 700.

Avery setting the distance record? what a joke, he can't even throw over 700.

Those record setting throws are very reliant on the conditions that day. That is why 5 of the top 10 throws where on the same day at the same location. Avery could set the record, but for ANYONE to set the record the conditions will have to be perfect.

DX is the finesse plastic.

It does beat in and get glidy, making it excellent for line shaping. But I wouldn't say that it is only finesse plastic. I just threw my newish DX Eagle about 430' off a slightly elevated tee (10ft) with a light tailwind. It landed about 40 ft left of my Star Destroyer. Twice.

Teebirds rock in DX.
As do Eagles, Rocs, and Gazelles...
[/QUOTE]

Cheap plastic doesn't taco when it hits a tree 200' into its flight. It tacos when a guy like me tries to throw it into the next zip code, griplocks it and hits the tree 10' feet in front of the tee pad. :hfive:

been there. done that. :doh: that disc now sits on my wall as a reminder not to do it again.

Latest posts