Is it just me or...

Oh my goodness I love this.

Since this is a "no driving" thread zone, can everyone please tell each other about their classiest throws?
I think floaty, nose up, anhyzer forehand throw-ins with my flippy Berg are pretty classy. Also anything with my Star Polecat, unless I throw it like arse it will never not be classy.

I was out the other day, 30mph gusting 45+. Played around with some discs.

Obviously when it's blowing like that, there's not a lot you can do to control ANY disc, but it reinforced my belief in heavy, overstable discs in the wind. In particular, i guess, discs with low glide. Weight and overstability tend to make discs less glidey, make them fall to earth quicker, but really it's low glide that's the important thing. You need the thing to get on the ground quickly before it can be blown too far off course.

The Monster wants to be vertical. You might think that would make it move sideways very fast in a crosswind, and indeed it does, but it's fighting so hard to be vertical that it isn't in the air long enough to go all that far off target. Once it's vertical, or close to it, no amount of wind under the flight plate is going to lift it. It'll move sideways, sure, but it won't fly away, and it'll get on the ground quickly.

The berg doesn't want to be vertical, and showing the flight plate can make it balloon up of course, but as long as it's fairly level it won't soar because it has so little lift. Something lighter and glidier could be completely horizontal and still shoot up in the air in high windspeeds.

And height is not your friend - the wind is ever stronger as you go higher up, plus obviously height gives a lot more time for sideways movement.

I don't think any amount of windy practice with my 160g Escape is ever going to reduce the margin of error below what i get from the beefy boys in that wind.

I was out the other day, 30mph gusting 45+. Played around with some discs.

Obviously when it's blowing like that, there's not a lot you can do to control ANY disc, but it reinforced my belief in heavy, overstable discs in the wind. In particular, i guess, discs with low glide. Weight and overstability tend to make discs less glidey, make them fall to earth quicker, but really it's low glide that's the important thing. You need the thing to get on the ground quickly before it can be blown too far off course.

The Monster wants to be vertical. You might think that would make it move sideways very fast in a crosswind, and indeed it does, but it's fighting so hard to be vertical that it isn't in the air long enough to go all that far off target. Once it's vertical, or close to it, no amount of wind under the flight plate is going to lift it. It'll move sideways, sure, but it won't fly away, and it'll get on the ground quickly.

The berg doesn't want to be vertical, and showing the flight plate can make it balloon up of course, but as long as it's fairly level it won't soar because it has so little lift. Something lighter and glidier could be completely horizontal and still shoot up in the air in high windspeeds.

And height is not your friend - the wind is ever stronger as you go higher up, plus obviously height gives a lot more time for sideways movement.

I don't think any amount of windy practice with my 160g Escape is ever going to reduce the margin of error below what i get from the beefy boys in that wind.

Your classiest throw sir?

If you don't have access to a Whippet, as it's an out-of-production mold at Innova (though in some limited releases) you can get an Infinite Discs Galleon, as it's the same mold. Underrated disc, in my opinion.

If you don't have access to a Whippet, as it's an out-of-production mold at Innova (though in some limited releases) you can get an Infinite Discs Galleon, as it's the same mold. Underrated disc, in my opinion.

I threw the Galleon for the first time this afternoon. Reminds me of a less glidy MD5 which is a constant in my bag nowadays. Like them both a lot. The wind has been up pretty much every day for the past two weeks.

Safe to assume the Galleon is a second or third generation whippet clone and not a clone of the "real" ones from the 90's?

Safe to assume the Galleon is a second or third generation whippet clone and not a clone of the "real" ones from the 90's?
Yeah there's a Whippet X mold and Whippet-L. I'm under the impression - never having seen the original whippet in person - the one certified on the PDGA website was the Whippet-L, as I believe the current one is the Whippet-X. The L should have a much sharper rim configuration than the X, which is really blunt at the edge for a 6-speed disc.

I bought all the other weights from the factory store last Dec, but there are max ones left. These are -X, but in champ still fly like my 06-08 ones.

Yeah I managed to get one from the Limited section, and they will from time to time have X-outs in their Factory Section section. It's just not a Full Production mold, and with Infinite now selling the Galleon I think we won't see many Whippets for sale on the Innova Pro Shop after these sell out. That said, I could see a few that didn't make the cut, get sold again as X-outs.

These are probably the Galleon x-outs then, so hopefully will keep becoming available with each Infinite run.

These are probably the Galleon x-outs then, so hopefully will keep becoming available with each Infinite run.
Not sure, but I think the Galleon has only been run in metal flake glow champion. Never thrown a Whippet, but my Galleon makes the most overstable Firebird or Resistor I've thrown look almost flippy.

Not sure, but I think the Galleon has only been run in metal flake glow champion. Never thrown a Whippet, but my Galleon makes the most overstable Firebird or Resistor I've thrown look almost flippy.
My first experience with the Whippet was with a DX version that was ran about 3 years ago, that happened to be in a local disc golf shop. I had no idea how special it was, but it was a very trusty disc for me. At the time I was throwing a Leopard, Cheetah, Gazelle and Whippet as my only 4 drivers, and it had that 6-speed firebird style stability for my arm. I accidentally threw it into a lake and picked up a Champion Whippet that was ran a few months ago. This is a much more stable disc that is much more stable. I don't know if I was throwing a Whippet-L mold in DX plastic or what, or if the disc just cooled differently, but I kinda wish I had a Whippet that was more useful as an overstable fairway instead of a more rarely-used utility disc that I have now. I've seen the Galleon and it's straight up the same as the Champ Whippet-X I have.

Latest posts