• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

Buhr, Orum, I. Robinson all being down the board a ways after 3 rounds is somewhat surprising. I'd expect some movement up for the final round but maybe Northwood has their number this weekend.

Certainly a good chance for another new MPO Major winner. Closest Major winners are Wysocki and Dickerson who are in striking range along with Heimburg on chase card. R2 & R3 leaders both ended with -11 overall so potential for the final number to not progress much if the top 3 don't shoot under par like they've managed so far.

Glad a cut was implemented this year, prior year Champions Cups did not have one in either '23 or '22.

I have enjoyed watching this weeks action. It is great to see a pro pure a shot down a tight wooded hole. It's also refreshing to see that they are human also and clock second or third available tree and get a huge kick left or right, like the rest of us mortals. -11 after 3 rounds is a good score, averaging a little under -4 per round, puts things into perspective.

Strange round from Kristin, i don´t think i have ever seen her play this bad. .

So, for fun… an unfair question: if you had to choose between pros throwing 40% rain delayed, shortened tournaments at Northwood style woods courses …
-or-
Full tournaments at converted ball golf courses…

I can't stand rain delays, while I can tolerate loose park golf.
I'm with @Brychanus - this is a trolley question. Can I choose a Northwoods style course without the rain delays?

Because in Appling, Georgia this weekend (I do not know if this week was the originally planned weekend for this year's event, it was a week earlier last year) - the weather was absolutely beautiful, with winds on Friday gusting up to 15 miles per hour as the worst of the conditions.

I just want this event, as much as I enjoy Northwood, back on WR Jackson... I have high hopes for whatever replaces it, given what it was, but I have a feeling it'll be a very different beast for a long time even if they try to replicate the feel with all the trees removed from the property.

Has the PDGA posted any photos of the work that was done?

Am I the only one that feels like that lattice lining the course gives the layout a very USDGC-mid-00s feel (and not in a good way)? Might be just the result of having recently watched 05... though it makes me think more of, I think, 2007ish? Didn't they try more of a lattice fence on 7 for a bit?

Time to take a brief break from Jomez to pop in 06 and 09 lead group live DVDs... oh wait, modern laptops don't have DVD slots. Fck. Well that was a waste of 15 seconds...

but.... I do know what I'm watching tonight now.

edit: it wasn't 07... I spectated that year and took photos, definitely bamboo that year.

Last edited:
The FPO Finlanders showed their sisu this weekend! Way to go girls!!!

Happy the Missourian finally landed a Major.
Yes sir!
He hadn't even won a DGPT tournament prior to this although he did win a Silver Series event in 2023.
The annoucers were saying this was the biggest "upset" of any major. I don't know, this just didn't feel like a crazily unlikely win for Prez. It didn't hurt that a bunch of big name players didn't have a good weekend.
Nathan Queen winning the DGPT Championship in 2021 was a much bigger shocker in my opinion.

Yes sir!
He hadn't even won a DGPT tournament prior to this although he did win a Silver Series event in 2023.
The annoucers were saying this was the biggest "upset" of any major. I don't know, this just didn't feel like a crazily unlikely win for Prez. It didn't hurt that a bunch of big name players didn't have a good weekend.
Nathan Queen winning the DGPT Championship in 2021 was a much bigger shocker in my opinion.
Big time tournament grind Presnell has been on the past few years, over 100 rounds contributing to his player rating since May 2021. He has 3-4 round tournaments basically every weekend from B-tiers up to Majors from February to November.

I'm guessing if he just played Elite/Majors like some other touring pro players he would be consistently in the 1030s rated range. I also don't think Barsby winning 2018 Worlds at 1020 rated (jumped to 1028 a month later...) was a huge surprise after his runner-up 2017 European Open performance.

Only player to go under par all 4 rounds in MPO.

Fantastic to see the European women take the biscuits. Having seen a lot of Saarinen, Turton and Steen play brutal wooded layouts off MPO tees in Europe the past couple of years it may be no surprise to see them handle this layout so well.

Latest posts