• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it just me?

Some Tosser

Bogey Member
Or do disc golf courses not have a lot of holes that finish left? I carry a flick for destroyer lines or high flex shots that I fore hand and need to finish right or way right. Just realized that I seldom, if ever have to flex out a back hand to finish it left. I do it all day forehand finishing right though. Is it common for courses to play more right side baskets than left side tuck aways or something. Do courses play right handed more often?

It varies a lot from course to course or from designer to designer.

I don't notice much of a bias one way or the other, but I'm also equally comfortable throwing backhand or forehand, so I really don't notice which I'm using more.

A majority of people throw RHBH, which naturally finish left. In order to add a certain degree of difficulty, a lot of course designers put the pin on the right. So many courses are lefty/RHFH friendly

My experience has been that it just varies course-to-course. My left-handed buddies (LHBH) think that too many holes finish left, while the right-handers (RHBH) think that too many holes finish right. If you are a forehander just reverse these complaints. I've seen courses where nothing finishes right, and others where almost everything finishes right.

A majority of people throw RHBH, which naturally finish left. In order to add a certain degree of difficulty, a lot of course designers put the pin on the right. So many courses are lefty/RHFH friendly

From someone who plays Dmacs courses a lot i bet it feels that way lol. He is notorious for not having many holes that finish left. Not a bad thing btw.

I'd say the majority of holes tend to favor a RHBH player because the majority of players predominantly throw RHBH. But I don't think that necessarily means holes finish to the right of the "fairway" so much as lines required to get to targets favor RHBH regardless of if the hole actually finishes left, right, or straightaway.

In my experience, holes that finish to the right tend to have softer turns that allow for a RHBH turnover or anhyzer shot to get to the target, whereas some (but by no means all) holes that finish to the left tend to be more closed off to a LHBH turnover or anhyzer approach. Dogleg and hairpin turns in fairways tend to be much sharper/tighter when going from right to left than from left to right. I know I've played enough holes that turn or finish left (strongly favoring a RHBH) that I've never seen the equal of in reverse. And when I have, they've been highly criticized holes.

Funny thing is no one ever comments on a hole or course being a "righty course" or a "righty friendly course". No one ever describes a hole as a/the "righty hole". But you hear "lefty" and "lefty friendly" used to describe an awful lot of holes and/or courses. Every course I've ever played that was referred to as a "lefty course" or a "lefty friendly course" usually only has 3-4 holes at most that in any way favor a LHBH or good RHFH...some only have one.

It's all good though...just adds to the challenge. Nothing better than beating a good righty hole as a lefty.

Keep in mind too, the holes you struggle with more are the ones that stand out in your mind. So someone that has a good RHBH but a shaky RHFH will fixate on the holes that they had to go with a forehand. So if the balance is even, the Forehand friendly or "lefty" holes will stand out more.

Keep in mind too, the holes you struggle with more are the ones that stand out in your mind. So someone that has a good RHBH but a shaky RHFH will fixate on the holes that they had to go with a forehand. So if the balance is even, the Forehand friendly or "lefty" holes will stand out more.

Sorry to be a psych nerd, but I remembered this term from grad school:
...that's called the "Zeigarnik Effect"

Maybe best posted in the "random' thread in the landfill? :confused:

You just aren't remembering the easier finishing left holes because they are easier. The harder finishing right holes stay in your memory because they gave you a negative outcome. Its human nature to ampify the negative. Thats why news stations never report anything positive.

Our hope at Stoney Hill is that RHBH players will call us "lefty-friendly", while the LHBH players call us "righty-friendly". That's what I call "balance".

Our hope at Stoney Hill is that RHBH players will call us "lefty-friendly", while the LHBH players call us "righty-friendly". That's what I call "balance".

That's what I've put a lot of thought into at my place too. In addition to just left right as a variable, as JC mentions the degree of the turn matters very much too so that it favors either a hyzer or anhyzer of the opposite stance. Then of course you have going up or down, long or short, and into the hill or away from the hill. Maybe forced flex shots are another consideration because they could be the toughest routes for the opposite stance, in other words a forced flex designed for BHLH is a nightmare for a righty without a flick. Yet another consideration might be where the biggest danger lies (OB, gaurunteed jail, thickets) and making sure that is ballenced throughout the course.

Nonetheless their are tons of variables, and it takes a bunch of consideration to ballence all of these. I actually worked a bit on a system which tries to quantify some of this and started a thread for it in the design forum, but I didn't get a ton of feedback. It was a bit confusing but I think worked to a degree.
Here is that thread Shot Shape Ratings

I don't know how I missed that thread. I use an almost identical numerical system, except mine is +3 (Big advantage to RHBH), +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -3 ("I've really got to work on my forehand").

We have a number of those holes that are mistakenly called lefty holes, when they're really righty (backhand) anhyzer shots.

I'd say the majority of holes tend to favor a RHBH player because the majority of players predominantly throw RHBH. But I don't think that necessarily means holes finish to the right of the "fairway" so much as lines required to get to targets favor RHBH regardless of if the hole actually finishes left, right, or straightaway.

In my experience, holes that finish to the right tend to have softer turns that allow for a RHBH turnover or anhyzer shot to get to the target, whereas some (but by no means all) holes that finish to the left tend to be more closed off to a LHBH turnover or anhyzer approach. Dogleg and hairpin turns in fairways tend to be much sharper/tighter when going from right to left than from left to right. I know I've played enough holes that turn or finish left (strongly favoring a RHBH) that I've never seen the equal of in reverse. And when I have, they've been highly criticized holes.

Funny thing is no one ever comments on a hole or course being a "righty course" or a "righty friendly course". No one ever describes a hole as a/the "righty hole". But you hear "lefty" and "lefty friendly" used to describe an awful lot of holes and/or courses. Every course I've ever played that was referred to as a "lefty course" or a "lefty friendly course" usually only has 3-4 holes at most that in any way favor a LHBH or good RHFH...some only have one.

It's all good though...just adds to the challenge. Nothing better than beating a good righty hole as a lefty.

Truer words have never been spoken. I completely agree with you, and your experiences mirror mine.

A good way to add difficulty is have a straight finishing hole with several obstacles in the way. It rewards good shots both RHBH/LHBH and RHFH/LHFH but forces you to somewhat know what you're doing.

Latest posts