• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is it me or my Destroyer?

cdunlapb12

Par Member
I've got over 400' of power consistently. I have Pro Destroyers that I can throw on a slight hyzer and they flip up and glide correctly. But this freaking 4x World Champ star Destro that I have is a problem. It's got cuts and chunks missing from the disc and it still will not flip. It's domey, swirly, and impossible.

Is this your first star destroyer or just the only one that's a problem? Stars tend to start and stay much more overstable than pros. Some of the PMs are pretty overstable, although I think there have been uber overstable Destroyers in a lot of runs in the past too. The older SDSs were quite overstable. The so-called PD2-tops were also very overstable. The Wiggins were overstable. I've thrown star Destroyers that would turn just a hair at 400' out of the box and I've thrown some that were like firebirds. Generally seems to be related to plh, dome, and the concavity of the underside of the wing.

The Star Destroyers are so much more stable than the Pro's, that they practically fly like another mold all together. Every McBeth Destroyer I have thrown has been super beefy. They take A LONG time to beat in and lose stability, but when they do they are money. They hold their sweet spot for a long, long time, unlike the Pro's that will quickly become too flippy. I carry a fresh Star for beef, a lightly used Star that is still overstable but won't flip, another Star that has seasoned to the point that it turns for max D, and a flippy Pro for tailwinds or huge high anny's.

For sure it is the disc. Stars in general are quite a bit more stable then Pro and some are super beef, So yeah at 400 and if it started really beefy, no it won't turn. There is a reason that guys who throw 500+ can only carry Destroyers and not something else, the beefy ones handle it, headwind too.

Definitely the disc. Paul has Destroyers that are plenty overstable. Yours isnt the first to act like that.

Yeah it's my first Star Destroyer. I moved up from the Climo Wraith I had because I couldn't control the flippiness of it. I'm thinking I might go GStar destroyer and see how that goes. Or Echo Star

Yeah it's my first Star Destroyer. I moved up from the Climo Wraith I had because I couldn't control the flippiness of it. I'm thinking I might go GStar destroyer and see how that goes. Or Echo Star

Gstar is an excellent choice. Also, when I threw a lot of destroyers, including star, I always tried to stay below 170 but above 165. I also looked for the destroyers that weren't super dome but also weren't board flat. But, honestly, the answer is an MVP Photon. It's everything a destroyer should be and consistent across runs.

^nice try. Not until mvp makes pro photons.

It's the plastic, bruh. Star/champ/pro/dx all fly veeeeery different, depending on the disc mold. And even a good amount of variation can be found within the same plastic.

It'll work into goodness. Until then, try a gstar. it's a good balance between pro and star imo.

Paul McBeth Destroyers are known for their overstability. Look into Avery Jenkins Destroyers, most of them are longer (apart from the Super OS run that's even beefier than the McBeth DS).

^nice try. Not until mvp makes pro photons.

It's the plastic, bruh. Star/champ/pro/dx all fly veeeeery different, depending on the disc mold. And even a good amount of variation can be found within the same plastic.

It'll work into goodness. Until then, try a gstar. it's a good balance between pro and star imo.

I was just thinking OP would like the Photon haha but I agree with you, there's nothing like good star/pro/DX plastic. But in this case, mold over plastic. The new star stuff is incredibly hit and miss, mostly on the miss.

Not to get sidetracked from the original point, But to the OP, maybe the Vulcan-top AJ run would be something to check out. People HATE them, but I've heard they're great bombers in the star plastic.

Ya, I got a Paul McBeth Grand Slam Destroyer and it is beefier that my Avery and my regular Paul McBeth 4x World Champ destroyer. Happy with it, because I wanted a variety of Stable destroyers for windy days and such. I throw Terns for distance because I can't turn a Destroyer much at all.

Ya, one of the least consistent molds from one of the least consistent mfgs.

It's the disc.

yeah have fun finding destroyers you like.. they are all over the place. One you do find some that you know you like, buy 10 identical ones.. maybe more.

I still think the destroyer is a great disc, but ive i'll be sticking with my D1's and D2's for a while.

I'd have to say the Destroyer has more inconsistency than any mold I've ever seen. I've thrown just about every style of them since they first came out. It seems to me that in recent years Destroyers have become noticeably more stable.

First run Stars were outstanding. All the current runs are super stable and lack glide. Your best bet to finding a good Destroyer is to look for older ones. They'll cost a bit though.

I think there is a Destroyer variation out there for just about anyone. I bought an AJ version from a couple of years ago that was flat and overstable as funk. Almost useless for me at my arm speed. If that would have been my first one, I would never have looked at another one. But the first one I bought was a slightly domey pink star that was made at least 5 years ago. It has beat in to the perfect headwind distance driver. I wanted a backup that would be easy to replace so I tried the G* version. Out of the box, it flies pretty much like my beat in domey.

It's funny how people (myself included) love having big stacks of the discs they like. I have like 25 Destroyers and honestly I will NEVER throw them all. My last workhorse Star Destroyer stayed in my bag 2 solid years (and still comes and goes from the bag now). I'll probably be too old to throw Destroyers before I work through even 5 of the ones I have. I guess if you lose discs a lot, you might need more replacements. Or maybe it's just the peace of mind (or the joy of buying discs) that makes us do it.

I almost gave up on them after buying a white AJ at 174 or so. It was crazy OS. Needing something to go with my Terns, I took the time to compare PLH on a large stack of new ones. I bought the lowest one at 168. It's pretty much the best into the wind driver I've ever had.

It's funny how people (myself included) love having big stacks of the discs they like. I have like 25 Destroyers and honestly I will NEVER throw them all. My last workhorse Star Destroyer stayed in my bag 2 solid years (and still comes and goes from the bag now). I'll probably be too old to throw Destroyers before I work through even 5 of the ones I have. I guess if you lose discs a lot, you might need more replacements. Or maybe it's just the peace of mind (or the joy of buying discs) that makes us do it.

Agree 100%. I also have a stack of around do 20 Destroyers, and currently bag a total of 4. But those same 4 have been in my bag for the last 3yrs straight, with no signs of any of them needing replacement soon.

The inconsistencies in the destroyer that drive a lot of us crazy (myself included), are also one of the reasons that I love the mold. It allows me to bag one distance driver mold, but still have everything from meat hook stable to flippy turnover all with the same mold.

I recently lost two Pro Destroyers in one day and replaced them with one Echostar and one Star (PM 4x). The echostar will turn a little and bombs pretty well. The star is pretty overstable, almost like a champ firebird. I use the echostar as my go-to and the star for wind or if I need to play the skip.