• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it normal?

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Last fall/end of summer; I discovered I like to have a slight hyzer on discs when driving if Im not going for an anny; then with something like a pro Leopard, I would do slightly more hyzer to flip it up flat for an S or just like the others closer to flat for a right turn.

Well today, I decided to put a considerable more amount of hyzer on everything and I seemed to have a lot more snap and the discs came out faster and flipped up to the same flight path they would with less hyzer only a lot further. Was shocked to see my Core still going hard 10' above a basket that was 255' away into a wall of trees behind it.

One thing I can think of is holding the disc down like that, maybe its getting the nose down more? :confused:

I dont know.

Its generally easier to get nose down and more leverage on hyzers.

Makes me want to take my Vision out and see what happens if I just put that sucker on a straight down hyzer.

I love throwing hyzer flips for distance. I was messing around with my Eagles today, I have a Dx one that is beat in nicely. Hyzer flipped it and it flew just like and a tad further than a DX Teebird. My big distance drive was a hyzer flipped Valkyrie.

Go hyzer flip that Vision, you'll like it.

As someone already mentioned, it is easier to get leverage and keep the nose down when you hyzer a disc more. Another thing that is easier to do is to get more of your weight over the disc on a hyzer which helps throws so you might also be doing that more.

Hmm Will have to give it a try on a faster disc tomorrow on a longer course. Only discs I threw today were my ION, Core and Leopard. That is if a tornado doesnt wipe the course out.

Im assuming I dont want to do this with my Predator or Teebird and stick to at least somewhat understable? Or shoould I just try it?

Umm...no Predator or TB for hyzer-flips unless you got a really good arm. I like my Star TL, X Comet, Pro Valk, Star Sidewinder and Roadrunners for hyzer-flips. I get more distance and accuracy from Sidewinders and Roadrunners than Vision, I have to add wrist roll under on those.

If you want to hyzer flip a Predator, go ahead...is it a bright color? It'll wind up about 100 ft to the left.

You can hyzer flip a DX Teebird, if it's beat up decently. Very long and straight, minimum fade. Your Leopard should be a great disc, too.

I use it for either understable discs or beat-in stable discs: Roc, Gazelles, Eagles, Teebirds, X Avenger. I have a really beat up Gazelle will actually fade to the right, so I hyzer flip it for a straight flight to delay the turn...really useful disc for that "Now what the heck to I throw..."

Last edited:
Yeah wasn't really thinking of hyzer flipping the pred. Was just thinking of how I could get that power behind it.

Debating if I am going out today to try it. Wind gusts of up to 50 MPH

I was field praticing last week and discovered my arm has finally gotten big enough to hyzer flip even my beaten orc. I have not been able to go back out since and wanted to go out today, but after seeing the wind blowing out there this moring I am second guessing it.

Com'on guys I am gonna go try and master the wind its no big deal. Better learn how to handle it in practice than tournys.

I went out, and with further reveiw, how I talked about putting more "hyzer" on the Leopard than the rest of the discs, I now put that much on every disc and I dont think it is really hyzer flipping. I think I am just getting the nose down more in full motion, but with pushing the Leopard down further yet, I am hyzer flipping that because I can see the disc in the initial flight almost like this | before it flips flat into an anny. Found a nicely beat in DX Eagle X on the course to that I also did this on for when I needed it to come back and it was also a disc I didnt care about with 50 MPH gusts of wind from random directions.. :thmbup:

I think I need to work on getting the disc up higher though. as I can see almost the full underside of the discs and a headwind would push them down short.

On another note, I mentioned finding a DX Eagle X unmarked, and also found a like new Z Comet also unmarked (does not like 50 mph wind!) :thmbup:

With even a gentle headwind, a Predator will hyzer flip very nicely.

There's an article called "Understanding Nose Angle and Trajectory" at DGR that will illustrate part of why it's easier to get the nose down on hyzers. It's easier with anhyzers, too, for the same reason.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

Yeah, that is the one I read before where they talk about the nose being in a different spot on the disc based on trajectory.

I suppose I dont understand where it shows the hyzer angles in relation to the grip point. Do they mean if I have the disc in my hand and rotate it to where the wing is higher (palm up) or lower (palm down) determines the hyzer?

I always thought pulling the disc above my pec line did caused the anny and below would cause a hyzer. Maybe since I am pulling below my pecs to get my power zone and nose down, maybe I should throw more palm up for an anhyzer angle?

Right now, I just outside of keeping my thumb in line with my forearm, leave my wrist in a mostly relaxed position.

It's also probably easier for you to get a tighter grip when holding the disc in a hyzer angle, think about when KC talks about using the muscles in your forearm with the Fork Grip...you're changing the angle of your wrist and tensing the muscles more...potentially.

So if you're getting a more powerful grip you're getting more snap and the disc is spinning more to keep it in flight longer, or at least holding itself at top speed longer.

\/\/

I always thought pulling the disc above my pec line did caused the anny and below would cause a hyzer. Maybe since I am pulling below my pecs to get my power zone and nose down, maybe I should throw more palm up for an anhyzer angle?
This may be what you meant, but I control hyzer/anhyer angle with my shoulders. I rotate my shoulders on a plane with the same angle on which I want to throw and keep my wrist, elbow and arm on the same plane as my shoulders if I want a clean throw.

This may be what you meant, but I control hyzer/anhyer angle with my shoulders. I rotate my shoulders on a plane with the same angle on which I want to throw and keep my wrist, elbow and arm on the same plane as my shoulders if I want a clean throw.

Yeah, when you describe it that way, I think thats what I do.

Is it also ok to get some hand roll then like the way I was describing; palm up and palm down?

Latest posts