• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a doctor in the house?

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I picked up a DG disc for the first time on 4 July 2013. Since that time I've developed an addiction to the game. I'm right-handed, but because my form is so bad -- even YouTube videos haven't taken yet -- I can't throw a decent backhand without the disc taking a hard left to save my life. Much more comfortable with the RHFH stylings. But that isn't the issue.

The issue is that my left shoulder is killing me. Yeah, that's right. My LEFT shoulder is killing me. I throw with my right, but that isn't sore. My left shoulder is. Does anyone know what this might cause this? Is it my poor technique? Anyone else ever have this problem? Just doesn't seem to make sense.

They are a couple of physicians here. But if you're having issues, you need to see a human, not a computer.

I know what caused it for me. Couldn't say what did it to you. For me, it was carrying a bag several miles every day. The weight on my shoulder was crushing a nerve group. Probably looks like I'm lazy just carrying my bag on one shoulder, but it's doctor's orders!

I'm an RN.

what the hell is your left arm doing on your follow through?
Mine hurts sometimes when I am really cranking for a turnover or something like that but that's only because my form is different than normal...
pay attention when you throw to what you're doing on the follow though

My shoulder will do that and it is related to my spine being jacked up and sending nervous pains into my shoulder. There is nothing actually wrong with my shoulder. It just hurts like hell. A week of steroids will fix it. Go to the doctor.

I knew a player who had off-shoulder pain. Not sure how it started, but it was aggravated in his reach-back, because you pinch your shoulder blades towards each other at that point. His was severe enough that it limited his play for a year.

They are a couple of physicians here. But if you're having issues, you need to see a human, not a computer.

My shoulder will do that and it is related to my spine being jacked up and sending nervous pains into my shoulder. There is nothing actually wrong with my shoulder. It just hurts like hell. A week of steroids will fix it. Go to the doctor.

Go to the doctor. Yes, this is off shoulder pain, but find out what it was. I'll use my stupid self for an example. A little over a month ago I had some tightness in my lower back, which I figured was from an old back spasm a few years ago. I stretched it out before every round and putting practice and field work. If I was touching a disc, I stretched because I thought I knew the problem.

Then my back started to bug me when I was sitting, and I continued to disc and everything, thinking I knew the problem. Then a couple of Sundays ago after a round my left leg and buttocks caught on fire and my back was incredibly tight. Got to a doctor. I had a bulging disc -- now its ruptured and I'm out for at least another 3 weeks.

It isn't worth being the tough guy and playing through pain where ever it happens to be. Go see the doctor.

It bears repeating, go see the doctor.

Now I'm late to my physical therapy, but go see a doctor.

Last edited:
As a 3rd year PA student... I would advise you to take some Ibuprofen (assuming that you aren't in Renal failure... or have terrible peptic ulcers) and get into see a real live doctor soon. If it is bad enough to complain about on a public forum, it should probably be seen by a medical professional.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and even I think you should see a physician.

I'm not a doctor, but I have a lot of experience troubleshooting all of my own random pains.

Do you carry your bag on your left shoulder? If so, maybe you need to either switch, or get a bag with dual straps.

What do you do outside of disc golf? Do you use a computer? For me, poor ergonomics at work are almost always the source of odd upper body pains that are not the result of an acute injury. Take a look at your work environment, and make sure you aren't doing something odd there.

Are you old and fat, or otherwise at risk for heart disease? If so go see a doctor immediately.

If not, then go get yourself one of those rubber bands they sell with exercise equipment and google shoulder exercises and get that thing limbered up.

You're welcome. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

Posture, movement patterns and muscle imbalance

I'm a licensed massage therapist and personal trainer, I deal with tons of injuries, I love it...

I would like a picture of you facing the camera and from each side, also with both arms out to the side and over head, preferably with as few clothes on the top of the body as you are comfortable with. There are tons of factors here. Motor patterns, muscle imbalances, mis alignments, hip problems or just good ole tight tissues at the major joints. Doctors are great, but unless you want to hear the words, surgery, pt, insurance, Motrin or Ibuprofen, something-itis, do it with your own risk. Few doctors will address you as a whole being. How you sleep, eat, drive, work, type and carry your kids has more to do with this than if you are taking NSAIDS or not... Pm me, I'm confident I can help...

I get lots of upper back and shoulder pain if I don't use both straps. Carrying on one shoulder is a killer. It pulls your body out of alignment. Has little to do with actual strength and fitness. Use 2 straps

I'm a licensed massage therapist and personal trainer, I deal with tons of injuries, I love it...

I would like a picture of you facing the camera and from each side, also with both arms out to the side and over head, preferably with as few clothes on the top of the body as you are comfortable with. There are tons of factors here. Motor patterns, muscle imbalances, mis alignments, hip problems or just good ole tight tissues at the major joints. Doctors are great, but unless you want to hear the words, surgery, pt, insurance, Motrin or Ibuprofen, something-itis, do it with your own risk. Few doctors will address you as a whole being. How you sleep, eat, drive, work, type and carry your kids has more to do with this than if you are taking NSAIDS or not... Pm me, I'm confident I can help...

only slightly creepy ;)

My doctorate is not in medicine but this in no way impedes my diagnosis. Or diminishes my bill.

Your right shoulder takes all the stress and abuse and remains functional while your left shoulder does darn near nothing yet screams in pain.

Cutting through the technical jargon, you have a good right shoulder and a bad left shoulder. Whatever you do, don't start throwing left handed. You scores will suck (even more than they do now) and your pain will increase.

However if you were to surgically remove your non-functional, basically useless left shoulder you might get more sympathy.