• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this basket location illegal, stupid or clever?

I run a course that has a few guarded baskets---but usually only from one direction. #4, if you overshoot, becomes a problem. I've heard some pros mention the "rule" but I've never seen it myself and I don't mind a little tree action. Generally, though, you can guard a basket without putting trees within a few feet of it. That part seems a little gimmicky.

For the record: the first basket seems like a silly placement. The second one is ok, and I really like the third one.

They've got a sweet hanging basket at a course I played at in Maui. It's very protected there and I can't see that it moves around too much in the wind.

BuddhaHole2.jpg

I run a course that has a few guarded baskets---but usually only from one direction. #4, if you overshoot, becomes a problem. I've heard some pros mention the "rule" but I've never seen it myself and I don't mind a little tree action. Generally, though, you can guard a basket without putting trees within a few feet of it. That part seems a little gimmicky.

For the record: the first basket seems like a silly placement. The second one is ok, and I really like the third one.

Just sounds like a great risk/reward hole Luke. How about a picture? We'd love to see it.

Gonna do my duty to help build a course out here in Wyoming soon here, can't wait to show some pictures.