• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this how it is -- taunting over found discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is just horrible. Most people who know me on here know I generally can't stand most adult disc golfers due to their behaviors, but that I highly encourage and support children and the disabled to enjoy our sport. It actually took me about three hours to calm down enough to write a response I was so incensed by this. I pretty famously (on here) took a stand against some other quasi-legal behaviors that people were doing around my daughter and her friends while on the course but I can honestly say right now that what happened to the OP and his son might just be worse.

I just sold a 10x KC Cheetah or I would send it to your son. I'm calling on DGCR right now, if anyone has a premium Cheetah disc they are willing to give up to send it to the OP's son and show him what our sport is really about. I will talk to some of my peoples and see if I can't get the OPs son some nice discs to throw.

P.S. just know this sport isn't generally filled with people like this. My buddy and fellow forum dweller geofflaw once lost his Axe Puck mini and someone called and returned it. He gave 'em a disc and a couple bucks for their troubles. So please don't let these immature jerks ruin you or your son's love of the sport.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone did this. People are capable of doing much worse. I have had similar experiences. Bold move on the thief's part though. What if the number he text was actually law enforcement? Or maybe someone with a short fuse on the wrong day. Some of the people I know might be able to find you (they have your phone # now...). Many people don't take kindly to being ripped off, no one likes being taunted about it. This could have ended really badly for this person. BIG risk / small reward.. a few laughs?

Personally I would have walked the course back and confronted them. People get a lot less ballsy face to face and likely they would have given up the disc. You were with your son though and in the very minute chance these kids are a bit crazy (maybe drugged up) it was probably wise to just forget it. You will run into an occasional dbag in all walks of life. I would say a good 98 percent of disc golfers are great people.

There is a dbag player in the area (Twin Cities) that I heard about that does this sort of thing too. Only he will call the person late at night to wake them up and taunt them about finding their disc and say he's keeping it. Supposedly he's done this to several people. He blocks his number though so you cant track him down.

Is it too late for me to call BS? Am I the only one thinking there is no way this actually happened?

Platebee, anyone? Luckily that turned more tongue and cheek fun than A-hole disc thievery. ^_^

OP, that sucks. Royally. Unfortunately the general rule of thumb ends up being if you stop searching for it, you probably won't see it again. You get the occasional caller, so it's worth leaving your name and #. Just don't count on it. This specific situation with the A-hole taunter is incredibly rare, and I hope I'm never unfortunate enough to have it happen. Not sure if I would be able to keep my cool about it.

Overall though, welcome to the sport! Don't let one rotten egg spoil it for you.

I lost a disc yesterday and luckily there is a disc store near by where people turn in lost disc. I told the store owner that if some one brings it in to give the dude a $5 discount on anything, ill pay.

A legacy Rival. Anyone? Anyone? Awesome disc BTW

I hate to say it, but the disc golf world is no different than the real world, which is to say roughly half of the people are dicks.

I just always wonder why people think once they leave a disc behind and someone else finds it that the disc is still yours.

Because that's the law. Lost or abandoned property may eventually become the property of one who finds it provided they go through all the hoops. It depends on the local laws. But for a disc abandoned on city property, you are typically looking at personal tangible property that is rightfully in the possession of the city unless claimed by the true owner within the statutory time period following public notice. Then, if not claimed within the statutory time, it becomes the property of the city, not the property of any old random person to stumble across it.

You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction for details on your local laws, presuming you respect the law, that is.

This 36 year old father of three would like to find the dude and beat him with a G9i Wizard until he regrets it, but that's probably not a great suggestion. I typically agree with getting the police involved, but I think in this situation you would unfortunately be wasting your time. Get online or post in here and buy your son a custom dyed disc that is dyed with whatever he's into (Ninja Turtles, Pokemon, Mario, etc.) You'll pay $20-$30, but it will help to erase the bad memory of the a$$hole who took his disc.

I just always wonder why people think once they leave a disc behind and someone else finds it that the disc is still yours. Once you give up, technically its fair game; you walk away from the disc knowing that you gave up on it. YES the guy was a uber douche about how he approached the situation. Many friends of mine no longer put a # on it, just name and pdga. If you have a pdga # it means your part of the league scene and someone will get it back to ya. Just what I want is a "Hey this is Johnny, ya know with the green disc, green shirt and driving the green car while smoking the green stuff, just letting you know loser you can F off and the disc you lost is flying great for me so pi$$ off"

So if my wife forgets where she parked the car at the mall, and can't find it within 3 minutes
Does that make it free game also?

I would definitely notify the police, this guy is ridiculous. Not only does this behavior display a complete lack of class and intelligence, but it is also in no way consistent with 99% of the rest of the DG community. I don't know why people take discs without calling numbers, but why in the world would anyone leave their phone number while informing you that you're being robbed?? This is a new level of jackassery, I'm sorry that this happened to you and your son.

Don't want to hijack the thread at all, just want to address a comment from earlier:

This isn't about being a teenager or a young person. I'm not advocating it's use, but this isn't about those who smoke pot. This isn't about those who throw Grooves..
This is about cruel and perfidious people, behaving criminally. They come in all ages, shapes and sizes, please keep the pitchforks at bay and remember some people just suck in this world.

Sorry, got a little heated earlier and lost my cool. There's a local league with guys who fit that description who act thug and all bad, trash talk the whole time (during putts especially). Didn't mean to generalize, I don't have problems with those things, just not during league play.

I hate to say it, but the disc golf world is no different than the real world, which is to say roughly half of the people are dicks.

This right here was my first thought.
I agree it sucks this happened but...

Why does the OP think something like this can only happen in disc golf? Are you knew to this planet? People are dicks sometimes and that's all this was. For you to come here and wonder/question if all DGers are this way is discriminating.

So if my wife forgets where she parked the car at the mall, and can't find it within 3 minutes
Does that make it free game also?

And then there's this. We are talking about a disc that cost a few $$ and you compare it to a car that cost thousands of $$ and some one just forgetting where it's parked. :wall: Not a comparable example at all. Hyper-bowl.

Leave the cops out of it.

Hate to hear about this sorry excuse for a human being.

For me the most difficult part of this whole thing would for be knowing your son is slowly realizing there are just bad uncool people, hurtful people in this world.. As a parent I always try to protect my children's innocence I want them to think good of others, but as they grow older they learn soon enough the ugly but real lesson some people are just jerks!!

Take the high road, don't call and harass the BUM with hundreds of texts / or emails from this group, wasted negative energy IMO.. personally I wouldn't call the police for a 10 disc. Let KARMA even the score

I say just talk to your son about the fact that some people just do bad things, and how proud you are that he's different.. Then take him shopping for two new disc.. in the end Good out does the bad

Find out his identity. Then take his mother out for a nice steak dinner and never call her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts