• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues with throttled down throws

To me this is a question about touch. I do not make big changes to throttle down. Yes, I shorten my run up to even stand and deliver if necessary and decrease my reach back, but practice allows me to not think too much of these points. Usually thottling down moves me to a mid range or putter, forcing me to work through my clean form check list. Touch is really develop through practice. Just like any other part of the game, getting out and working with your mids and putter at a target will develop the muscle memory needed to improve this part of the game.

... I think I can safely say "I agree with garu" is not the answer he's looking for.

Well I didn't see him say he shortened his reach back. Just that he is throwing a putter with no run up... Those are only two limiting factors that I can see that he has eliminated.

I think he just needs to work on a quick wrist snap (more of a flick of the wrist, but I'm still talking BH not FH). Just like you're throwing a catch frisbee to a friend 30 feet away. And I think Garu was saying the same sort of thing.

And gave him the advice of trying to work on a putter flick for this shot.

But I'm sorry you didn't like my response. I promise to not give my input in this thread again.

Well I didn't see him say he shortened his reach back. Just that he is throwing a putter with no run up... Those are only two limiting factors that I can see that he has eliminated.

I think he just needs to work on a quick wrist snap (more of a flick of the wrist, but I'm still talking BH not FH). Just like you're throwing a catch frisbee to a friend 30 feet away. And I think Garu was saying the same sort of thing.

And gave him the advice of trying to work on a putter flick for this shot.

But I'm sorry you didn't like my response. I promise to not give my input in this thread again.

Well, you suck at not giving input. Cause limiting reach-back is both input and parroting Garublador. Also, the phrase "all other [limiting factors]" and ellipses must be beyond you. But hey, feel free to be a jerk. That's cool. Not even my thread that you're boycotting.

I'm sorry for trying to improve the quality of responses for this fellow. (Needed to get my incredibly back-handed apology in. Because it's polite to apologize, so I must be a polite person now.)

Yeah im definitely talkinga bout after i've taken all other limiting factors away...im throwing a putter...no run up...
I always forget to ask if that's what people mean when they start a thread like this or if they're asking for the advice I gave earlier.

If you're to the point where you're already throwing a putter from a standstill and need an approach shot then the advice may be way different. The reason I forget to ask is that I don't consider these shots drives anymore, I call them approach shots, but I know that notation isn't universal.

It's also an area I have trouble giving real specific advice about because it was never an issue for me. Coming from an Ultimate background these shorter touch shots were 99% of the throws I made so all I had to do was adjust my aiming for the more overstable disc golf putters. I didn't have to do anything to my technique.

Once thing you can do for longer "approach" shots is change your grip to something weaker. Fan grips won't get you as much distance as power or fork type grips.

If you want to take the approach I did, just play a bunch of catch with friends using lids. That or get a lid to use as an approach disc for a while. You don't need all the weight shift, wrist extension and rip strength that you do with a drive so technique isn't as important. I use the same grip that I do when putting so my actual rip is pretty weak. If you also slow down a bunch it's easier to get a consistent release with a weak rip because everything isn't happening super fast.

I have issues with this as well. I just find it easier to throw a disc more suited to the distance and use full power. I will even typically throw a thumber for an upshot(distance permitting) just so I can use full power and not have to think about changing my throw at all, unless its the rare occasion where I'm on one of those 1000' holes and I'm still looking at 600'+ between me and the basket of course.

I always forget to ask if that's what people mean when they start a thread like this or if they're asking for the advice I gave earlier.

If you're to the point where you're already throwing a putter from a standstill and need an approach shot then the advice may be way different. The reason I forget to ask is that I don't consider these shots drives anymore, I call them approach shots, but I know that notation isn't universal.

People as bad at these "approach" shots as I am/was don't call them approaches. Because 90% of the time we have an approach shot following them (2% are putts, 8% are further from the hole than we started). We call them a good way to take an extra stroke on a hole.

Latest posts