• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ITB With BillFleming

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
I'm an old dude, started playing in 2019. Was RHFH only until last year. Throwing RHBH, my arm speed is 42 MPH. My max range with a 7 speed is 240 (80 yards) as measured by rangefinder. My current bag is - and covers the shots that I can currently make:

Legacy Gravity Clutch - putter
DGA Proline Breaker - close forehand approach
Axiom Electron Firm Envy - utility approach
Innova Star Mako3 - long straight approach/fairway
Kastaplasta K3 Kaxe Z - long overstable approach/fairway
MVP Neutron Servo - fairway/tee forehands
Innova Star Teebird - fairway/tee backhands
NSH Stacks - rollers
NSH Teleporter - grenades

(NSH discs are the PDGA-approved 3d printed discs. They take a beating without noticeable damage...which in the desert makes them great for rollers and grenades. And too often I find myself under a tree where I need a roller or behind a large tree where I need a grenade.)

7 speeds are the "max" where I get the flight by the numbers. Above that, they tend to not fly as the numbers would indicate....but can still be useful, so I am working with these to see if any will end up in my bag:

Innova Star Sidewinder
DGA Proline Sail
Innova Star Valkyrie
DGA Proline Pipeline
Kastaplast Falk (tournament stamped, so not sure which plastic it is).

My new list:

I have 17 discs in my current bag and consistently use only 5 of them. I have some discs that are just for "I may lose the disc on this throw....". Some discs are for unique shots...I have one just for grenades.

2x Gateway Wizards. One is my putter, one is for use if there is a practice basket so I have two to throw.
DGA Breaker. My forehand approach from 75-100 (crappy on judging distance, but I think this is where I use it)
Kastaplast Reko. Not sure why this is in my bag...thought it might be a backhand approach to complement the Breaker...nope.

5 speeds.
Lat64 Compass. For that in-between shot. Used on occasion, mostly forehand.
Axiom Hex. Thought this would be my in-between shot disc. Nope..hardly been used.

Then I go crazy with 7 speeds.
MVP Servo. My go-to forehand driver for straight shots.
Discmania Instinct. Backhand disc for when I need some fade.
MVP Resistor. Forehand for when I need some fade. Rarely used...also one of those 'for spots where I may lose it'.
Innova TeeBird. Well beaten in DX plastic. A disc for the shot where there's a high chance of going in the water.
Axiom Rhythm. Supposed to be understable. This is a new disc that is in my bag to see if it works for me.
Lat64 River. Like the glide, used to throw this a bunch. I can't recall the last time I threw it.

8 speeds.
Legacy Phenom. My backhand driver when I need fade. Rarely used.
Discmania Essence. Not sure what this is for, but it's in my bag.

9 speed.
Kastaplast Falk. My go-to backhand driver. Throw this the most.

Unrated:
NSHCustom Discs. Mr.Putt. A putter, but I'm trying it out as a roller since the edge is perfectly flat.
NSHCustom Discs. Dwayne. This is my grenade disc.

Time has moved on and my bag has changed; I've switched to a mostly gyro (MVP/Axiom) bag recently, so here's my new bag:

Bag: Fossa Skinny 2.3

(disc - plastic type and weight - how I use it)

Drivers:
Axiom Insanity - Cosmic Neutron 158g - forehand tee shots, long fairway shots
MVP Volt - Fission 165g - backhand tee shots, long fairway shots

Fairway:
MVP Servo - Neutron 160g - forehand
Axiom Crave - Neutron 161g - backhand
Axiom Rhythm - Neutron 172g - rarely used, very understable
MVP Resistor - Neutron 169g - rarely used, very overstable. Main use is when I need a big hook or think I might lose a disc in the water.

Mids:
Axiom Hex - Neutron 178g - forehand/backhand straight
MVP Reactor - Neutron 174g - forehand slight fade
MVP Relay - Neutron 170g - forehand straight, bit more distance than the Hex.
NSHCustomDiscs Dwayne - 3D printed 168g - trouble/utility. Throw this disc upside down. It will slide if thrown low to the ground. Great for grenade throws or going through a tree/bush. Don't hit anyone with this disc.

Putter:
MVP Atom - Electron Medium 172g - putting & approach

The AZ rocks are pretty brutal with discs, and I've only played there a handful of times. The most unfortunate consequence is that a lower arm speed couldn't use a domey 160 class Pro Corvette. After a few rocks, it would be a very long bomber with 42mph. But the life expectancy into boulders is not so great. When I bagged one, I called it my cheater disc. Very low power full S-curve shots to 300 feet.

The AZ rocks are pretty brutal with discs, and I've only played there a handful of times. The most unfortunate consequence is that a lower arm speed couldn't use a domey 160 class Pro Corvette. After a few rocks, it would be a very long bomber with 42mph. But the life expectancy into boulders is not so great. When I bagged one, I called it my cheater disc. Very low power full S-curve shots to 300 feet.

Yes, the rocks are brutal....don't use base plastic on some of our courses. The thorn bushes/trees and cacti are also hard on discs.

It always takes some getting used to when I play on a grass disc golf course. My disc skips! Don't see that often in Arizona. And then there are rollers....yeah, not much of those in a bunch of AZ courses.

Latest posts