• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

James Webb Telescope

The big question is are we alone?

My biggest concern with this question is that so many scientists are absolutely convinced that we are not alone that the information we get from the JWST is going to be a confirmation bias situation. I get it, there are billions of galaxies, stars, planets, etc. so the odds seem stacked against us being alone but still...

I just hope NASA and the whole US space program aren't secretly being run by a sith lord.

My biggest concern with this question is that so many scientists are absolutely convinced that we are not alone that the information we get from the JWST is going to be a confirmation bias situation. I get it, there are billions of galaxies, stars, planets, etc. so the odds seem stacked against us being alone but still...

I am more interested in seeing how much further into space and time JW can see, and if this will change our understandings of the origins and future of the universe. It will be able to see more galaxies, but dang, we haven't found proof of other civilizations in our own galaxy yet.

The short answer is NO! The Long Answer? No!

I would tend to agree, but it is not a certainty IMO.

I've listened to more than a few discussions on this and the Drake equation. It's interesting, but ultimately a guess. And frequently the answer is one (us) or countless. So far we have only verified one.

No it isn't. UFO means unidentified flying object which could be ANYTHING. Until I see the little green people walk off of those craft and we can positively identify them as truly alien it is all conspiracy theory nonsense to me.

I read the CBS News article. Extraterrestrial is 3rd on the list of possible suspects:

"He told us pilots speculate they are one of three things: secret U.S. technology, an adversary's spy vehicle, or something otherworldly.

Ryan Graves: I would say, you know, the highest probability is it's a threat observation program.

Bill Whitaker: Could it be Russian or Chinese technology?

Ryan Graves: I don't see why not.

Bill Whitaker: Are you alarmed?"

The US had its big reveal on the UAP program. It was basically the above. In the last twenty years they have a few dozen reports that cannot be explained yet.

And definitely there is some crazy stuff in the sky. Aliens? Not so likely.

But until the unknowns are resolved it's something.

No it isn't. UFO means unidentified flying object which could be ANYTHING. Until I see the little green people walk off of those craft and we can positively identify them as truly alien it is all conspiracy theory nonsense to me.

I mean the likely alternative is that another nation has technology SO ADVANCED that the US cannot understand or explain these events. This is much more concerning to me actually.

We can only wait and see. I do have to say I am excited by what they might discover not related to little green men. Maybe they will find my Innova Roc I lost years ago to the nether regions.

We can only wait and see. I do have to say I am excited by what they might discover not related to little green men. Maybe they will find my Innova Roc I lost years ago to the nether regions.

I can see it now - come March we'll have whole fleets of lost discs zooming over all the major cities a la Mars Attacks! - a whole squadron will be comprised of every DX Wraith I've lost over the years.

Too lazy to read at the moment but if the articles reference the videos they lead with screenshots of - they've been debunked. In some cases they're just embarrassingly misinterpreted by the so called experts (such as where the.people claiming these objects are moving fast are just blatantly ignoring elements of the heads up display that explain everything).

And tomorrow they lower the boom. The boom of the secondary mirror. With that and the sun shield fully deployed and tensioned, they are almost guaranteed to be able to generate science even if the starboard and port main mirror segments for some reason can't open. So, tomorrow is actually a pretty big day for NASA and astronomers.

... they are almost guaranteed to be able to generate science even if the starboard and port main mirror segments for some reason can't open. So, tomorrow is actually a pretty big day for NASA and astronomers.

What's the Over/Under on spherical aberration?