• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Japan Open Bag Setup Question

WesV1

Par Member
Here's an unusual bag post...

My mom lives in Japan, she's played maybe 20 rounds of disc golf in her life, and she's decided to enter the Japan Open this year. Currently, she throws only 2 discs, 100 gram Heros.

She's asked me to recommend her some discs that she could pick up and practice with in the ~3 weeks before the tournament. She's looking to have a 6 disc bag.

Keep in mind she's a 53 year old woman (i.e. not alot of power) and a relative beginner..

So, what kind of discs, 150g or less, would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Sidewinder if everything else is hooking left, otherwise I'd be like eagle or teebird. then a putter. Just because those discs are the money discs all around.

Or see what happens if you give her an archangel, I wonder.

I saw on the Innova website that they're now making DX Leopards in the 130 and lower weights for women and players with little arms.

The Discraft 150 impact is actually a really nice mid for smaller arms.

Also, the RDGA SuperDrive XL, Squall and Flathead Cyclone.

The Reef is a great 150 class putter.

I'd recommend:

Roadrunner or Sidewinder (with the roadrunner over the sidewinder) for Max D.

Leopard, Gazelle, or Eagle for fairway shots (dx if possible).

If she needs something overstable, the Firebird goes down to 150. I have a dx Chicken in that weight, and it's pretty overstable.

A Roc or Shark (Shark would be better if she doesn't have the spin to make a Roc fly straight). DaveMac may make the Element in 150 too, and that would be a great disc as well.

Putter.

150 Z Flick is a great utility disc for me, perhaps it would make a good overstable choice for her?

I'd also second the Impact. It's somewhere between a driver and a midrange and very easy to throw.

With that few rounds of golf under her belt, a Flick is going to be WAY too stable.

Furthur said:
I'd recommend:

Roadrunner or Sidewinder (with the roadrunner over the sidewinder) for Max D.

Leopard, Gazelle, or Eagle for fairway shots (dx if possible).

If she needs something overstable, the Firebird goes down to 150. I have a dx Chicken in that weight, and it's pretty overstable.

A Roc or Shark (Shark would be better if she doesn't have the spin to make a Roc fly straight). DaveMac may make the Element in 150 too, and that would be a great disc as well.

Putter.

I'd agree with this except just leave the Roadrunner or Sidewinder out. A 150 class Shark, a putter, and a good fairway driver. No need for distance drivers at this point. Accuracy will be more useful.

I'd look into a few of the ultralight Gateway discs -- I have Wizards down to 109g that get a lot of float and take no power to throw and are very consistent (I can put one 250' with consistency, even in a light wind). I also have a Speed Demon in the 130's that is stable and wicked fast -- I keep half a dozen discs around in the 109-150g range for complete newbie females to throw around -- consistently, the ultralight Speed Demon is their farthest distance just because of the extra airspeed.

I also have around a few random, very dependable discs, like a 149g 8x KC Whippet, but that may be hard to come by for your mother.

For a fairway drive, I recommend a 140s DX Gazelle -- another disc that has a lot of distance and consistency for low arm speed beginners; that and/or a 150-class Champion Stingray (massive glide), would also be at the top of my list.

my wife does well with a 150 stingray, goes in the middle of the fairway 150' - 200' every time. she's played a lot of catch with beach lids but only golfed a handful of times.

I recommended the Stingray, too!

Well, she ditched the 100g discs to go pick up some heavier (though still less than 150g) stuff. I'm not sure on the weights, but here's what she got:

-Hero Driver (?)
-Destroyer (I let her know that's *probably* not going to work well for a while)

-KC Pro Roc
-Champion Classic Roc
-DX Shark

-DX Sonic
-DX Aviar
-Millenium Omega Quantum

I imagine the Shark is probably going to fly the best...she's out practicing every day now, in prep for the tourney, so I'll keep you guys posted..

Latest posts