• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Mellow Bag (open to mellow criticism and suggestions)

Melloweyelids

Background info: I have been playing for about 4-5 years. I am a rec/int level player. Played for years without a PDGA number but just recently got one. Rated around 850 or so currently. Trying to improve my game. I mostly need to work on putting but have a hard time finding the time to practice (I would rather be playing!). For drives I max out at 350ish on a flat field if I get a good drive, but I can consistently get to 320 ft no problem. I have a decent arm but to be honest my turnover game is horrible. I can throw straight shots and hyzers pretty consistently but I struggle with backhand anhyzer angles.

Intro thoughts on my bag: I don't like to carry too many discs. I bag around 14-16 discs or so. Recently I've been trying some new discs and a new variety of shots (I have only been throwing forehand for about 6 months now, up to 250 or so on a full powered drive). I like having a back up and need to get better and cycling in new discs to beat new ones in.

My bags: A compact Zuca with a ridge roller putter pouch and a C series Grip backpack.

In my bag (from high speed to low speed)

-Shryke (splatter star, new, not beat-in yet, 168g)
-Shryke (star, moderately beat-in, 167g)
-Wraith (star, moderately beat-in, this disc gets a lot of use, 168g)
-Wraith (star, very beat in, but still relatively stable, oldest disc in bag, 171g)
-Orc (star, new run of PFN, very lightly beat in, a newer disc mostly for my forehand game, 166g)
-Beast (star, not very beat in, 167g, newer disc given to me by a buddy, just lost my super straight, beat in beast a week ago, I'm super sad about it)
-Beast (star, only thrown once but feels pretty gummy and flexible, like a star/gstar combo, will probably take out of my bag soonish, 169g)
-Heat (ESP, very lightly beat-in, still not really understable yet, 167g)
-Leopard 3 (star, beat-in but not as understable as you might think, 171g)
-Zone (ESP, lightly beat-in, newer disc but getting a lot of use lately, 173g)
-Roc (KCPRO, moderately beat-in, no longer has a hard fade, 180g)
-Aviar 3 (DX, very lightly beat-in, still newer, 172g)
-Aviar 3 (DX, very beat-in, scramble forehand anny disc, 171g)
-Wizard (eraser, somewhat beat-in, still newish, 175g)
-Wizard (eraser, not really beat-in, still newer, 174g)
-Judge (burst classic blend, new, 174g)

Explanations

Distance Drivers:

I use the Shryke for open shots where I need some more turn and glide, but with a reliable fade. The Wraith is for overstable shots where I need more fade. The Shrykes and Wraiths are used almost exclusively for backhand. Although, I have been using the beat in Wraith for some straight forhand shots (since I lost my trusted beast) and have generally liked the results. The Orc is used mostly for forehand shots but I use it for some overstable backhand shots too. For the forehand, the orc is reliable but I don't get much turn out of it like I did with my lost Beast (can you still tell I am sad about losing it?). The two new beasts don't haven't gotten thrown much because I haven't developed a relationship with them yet. I need to start throwing them soon so that I can learn to trust them.

Fairway Drivers:

The Heat is a new addition and needs to get more beat in. It doesn't turn over yet but it is very straight with a slow fade. I love the slow fade on this thing. I use it for straight shots where I need the slow fade. The Leopard 3 is also a pretty straight disc with a slight turn and a reliable fade. The fade on the Leopard 3 is a little harder and quicker than the Heat though. I feel like I need to add a more stable/overstable fairway to my bag though. Recommendations?

Midranges and Approach Putters:

The Zone was added a month or two ago and I love it. It is perfect for forehand approaches and overstable backhand approaches. My KCPRO Roc is awesome but I have been struggling with it lately, as it has become more beat in. I keep on thinking that it will fade more than it does and it leaves me with more work than I want on a putting green. I can't decide if I should cycle in a new one (which I have) or just learn to adjust my shots with it. Even when I rely on it to go straight I can't get the shot right. This disc is kinda in my head at this point. Advice desired. The newer DX Aviar 3 is for short approaches where I am out of jump put range or there is a ceiling on the approach. The beat in DX Aviar 3 is a scramble forehand anhyzer disc. I rarely use it but I like to have it when I need it (which is rare). Honestly, I should probably get rid of one of these.

Putters:

I have been struggling with my putting lately. I find myself wishing that my Wizards were a little less stable, which is why I have been experimenting with the Judge. I have still been using the Wizards though. If anyone has any recommendations for a less stable beaded putter, I am all ears. My buddy gave me some P2s to mess around with but I haven't had time to practice putting in my backyard, just too busy (I know, excuses, excuses). Also, I do like the feel of a bead, but I also feel like I need to try some new things to get out of my head on putting. IDK.

Other thoughts and Ramblings: I think there is definitely more room in my bag for some speed 6-8 discs. I have been thinking about trying a Teebird or Eagle. I think I also need a very understable disc, like a roadrunner, or a sidewinder. This is what I was hoping the Heat would be for, but it is still super stable. I have champ roadrunner at 167g but it is not very beat in yet and doesn't have the big turn that I want. The Judge has been something that I have been experiementing with lately, don't know if it will switch to Judges or keep with the Wizards. The Judge slot in my putter pouch use to be filled with a Deputy, but I never found myself using it really. That being said, I do love the way a deputy flies. I tend to get more distance out of them on my jump putts. I might put this back in soon.

Anyways, looking for any critique or recommendations. It is pretty much the end of the season so I am open to taking out some discs and trying some new ones. Do you see any holes in my bag? Do you see too much repetition? What do you think I should get rid of or keep? I am all ears!

A lot to take in, some of the easy ones, I would put in that new kc roc, or if you are a fan of only having one midrange maybe a lighter roc3 in champ or star, just so the fade will stick around a lot longer.

your bag seems pretty good, what I always tell people is to go out and throw a couple rounds keeping track of what you throw, and what you don't. if you haven't thrown a disc in a couple rounds, take it out. Once you have it down to your staples play a few more rounds and pay attention to shots that you don't have, then add things to cover those. I did this over probably 10 rounds and it was very eye opening.

If you are looking for a Teebird/Eagle type disc I would recommend the Discraft Stalker. That mold is like an Eagle L but with a bead on the bottom to make the mold more like a Eagle X but without the awkward rim.

A lot to take in, some of the easy ones, I would put in that new kc roc, or if you are a fan of only having one midrange maybe a lighter roc3 in champ or star, just so the fade will stick around a lot longer.

your bag seems pretty good, what I always tell people is to go out and throw a couple rounds keeping track of what you throw, and what you don't. if you haven't thrown a disc in a couple rounds, take it out. Once you have it down to your staples play a few more rounds and pay attention to shots that you don't have, then add things to cover those. I did this over probably 10 rounds and it was very eye opening.

Yeah, I may have typed too much. I will have to go back and shorten it up soon so that it is less intimidating of a post. Thanks for bearing with it though, ha. I will definitely put in a new KCPRO Roc. Given how small my bag is though, I will have to take out another disc, likely my second beast or second Aviar3. I definitely don't use every disc in a round and need to pay attention to that. Maybe take notes in Udisc or something. That is a good idea though, Thanks dude!

If you are looking for a Teebird/Eagle type disc I would recommend the Discraft Stalker. That mold is like an Eagle L but with a bead on the bottom to make the mold more like a Eagle X but without the awkward rim.

I will definitely try that out. At this point I am just waiting for xmas to roll around, as I am expecting a disc golf store gift certificate or two from the girlfriend and family. This will be on the list for sure though. Thanks for the input!

I will definitely try that out. At this point I am just waiting for xmas to roll around, as I am expecting a disc golf store gift certificate or two from the girlfriend and family. This will be on the list for sure though. Thanks for the input!

Flight is straight but fades left at the end but not as hard the FAF Eagle X, more like a New DX Eagle X. Z is the only plastic the Stalker is made in for standard production runs.

I would recommend a nice Star Teebird at about 170g to match your other fairways. You could and should actually try a Champ Thunderbird at some point too, as the stable/overstable fairway slots in your bag are wide open.

Speaking of, ever tried a Firebird? Hard to reliably find a workable firebird outside of the tour series color glow varieties, so I do recommend picking up a Sexton or Alex G Firebird.

I prefer throwing stable/understable plastic, as it seems you do too, but the above discs, or other non-Innova takes on the above discs, are pillars in my bag.

I wouldn't even bag the shryke. Too much disc, not enough use outside of open holes. Get a pro Wraith. People don't give lower tier plastics enough credit. Cycle them, it's money. Back when I threw exclusively forehand, the beast was my go-to. It really is an underated disc. That said, I don't throw it anymore :p. Try picking up a slower version of the beast, a viking, or Valkyrie (even slower). I think you've got a little overlap with the heat and the leopard 3. I'm partial to the heat. You kind of need a stable fairway or overstable fairway. Something like an eagle. Then for mids, bag a newer roc. Doesn't need to be kcpro. If you want a less overstable wizard, get a voodoo.

- star Wraith (newer) for stable
- star Wraith (beat) for more control
- pro Wraith (new) for distance
- pro Wraith (beat, for understable duties)
- Beasts as you want them but you may find the Wraith and Viking combo will cover this slot well
- premium plasticViking. what you want out of the Beast, without the break in period. 1-2
- Orc or a slower slightly overstable disc for your slower overstable duties. I use a PD but Orc/Starfire/avenger are all really similar.
-Heat for straight to flip.
- cycle in more rocs. Do another kcpro if you want stability. Keep your old one but don't expect it to do what it used to. Figure out how to use it when it's beat up and you'll love it. Same with all beat discs.
-whatever putters work for you.

Last edited:
I would recommend a nice Star Teebird at about 170g to match your other fairways. You could and should actually try a Champ Thunderbird at some point too, as the stable/overstable fairway slots in your bag are wide open.

Speaking of, ever tried a Firebird? Hard to reliably find a workable firebird outside of the tour series color glow varieties, so I do recommend picking up a Sexton or Alex G Firebird.

I prefer throwing stable/understable plastic, as it seems you do too, but the above discs, or other non-Innova takes on the above discs, are pillars in my bag.

A Teebird and a Thunderbird are both on my radar for (over)stable midranges. Will probably pick one up after xmas.

I do have a Ken Climbo Champ Firebird, but I haven't been bagging it. I only really used it for overhand thumbers on a specific hole but took it out after that shot stopped working for me. I throw it forehand in practice sometimes and I like it enough, just prefer my Orc. Might have to try picking up a Sexton one though.

Thanks for a recommendations. I will definitely be picking up some new plastic here soon. Will report results :D

Lots of good suggestions here. I will add for the turnover shot you mentioned in your original post it's hard to beat a Goldline Latitude 64 Fuse.

I wouldn't even bag the shryke. Too much disc, not enough use outside of open holes. Get a pro Wraith. People don't give lower tier plastics enough credit. Cycle them, it's money. Back when I threw exclusively forehand, the beast was my go-to. It really is an underated disc. That said, I don't throw it anymore :p. Try picking up a slower version of the beast, a viking, or Valkyrie (even slower). I think you've got a little overlap with the heat and the leopard 3. I'm partial to the heat. You kind of need a stable fairway or overstable fairway. Something like an eagle. Then for mids, bag a newer roc. Doesn't need to be kcpro. If you want a less overstable wizard, get a voodoo.

- star Wraith (newer) for stable
- star Wraith (beat) for more control
- pro Wraith (new) for distance
- pro Wraith (beat, for understable duties)
- Beasts as you want them but you may find the Wraith and Viking combo will cover this slot well
- premium plasticViking. what you want out of the Beast, without the break in period. 1-2
- Orc or a slower slightly overstable disc for your slower overstable duties. I use a PD but Orc/Starfire/avenger are all really similar.
-Heat for straight to flip.
- cycle in more rocs. Do another kcpro if you want stability. Keep your old one but don't expect it to do what it used to. Figure out how to use it when it's beat up and you'll love it. Same with all beat discs.
-whatever putters work for you.

You do have a point, I only really use the Shryke on open holes. I also have a old P-line DD2 that I bag for open holes in less windy conditions. Still, they are not used as often as my Wraiths. A buddy of mine has been talking about picking up some pro Wraiths for the exact reasons that you mention. I will probably try to pick one up soon.

I learned how to throw forehand on a Beast! But I lost that beast and now pretty much only use my Orc. My new Beast is a little domier (bit of a pop top) that gets more of an air bounce that I don't want on forehand shots. I still use it here and there.

I do have a beat-in Valkyrie that I found (contacted the owner, he said to keep it) but I haven't messed around with it much, I prefer the way a beast feels in the hand. I will have to mess around with it in practice though.

A stable/overstable fairway is something I need though. I will head to the disc store and see what feels best in the hand. Will definitely look at the eagles though. I almost bought one a month or so ago but decided to put it back to stop the spending spree, haha.

I know that my Leopard 3 and Heat are both very similar, but I can't bring myself to remove one yet. My Leo3 has a quicker fade that I can depend on, and I also love the slow fade of the Heat. I might wait for my Heat to get a little more beat in before I choose one over the other.

Thanks for giving me some thoughts to chew on! I will report purchases and results.

So, I have some updates, not all of them good.

Good News:

I purchased a few stable/overstable fairway drivers to fill that hole in my bag. The fairways I purchased are listed below:

-Eagle, star, 169g
-Teebird, star, 168g
-Thunderbird, champ, 167g

The Eagle sits in the bag currently but I haven't decided which will be filling the slot permanently yet. I need to get out there and do some fieldwork to make a final choice.

Bad News:

-I lost my trusted star Wraith :( It was my newer one that I counted on for overstable shots. It got stuck up in a tree yesterday during a tournament. I am more bummed about losing this one than I was for my beat in Beast about a month ago. I have a new star Wraith that will be filling that slot for now, but it is a more flexible swirlyish star plastic that I don't think will be quite as stable. We will see though. Before I lost this disc and I was at the disc golf store, I checked out some star Wraiths, but they felt off. I think the rim is a little wider on the newer (or current) runs. I didn't like the way the wider rim fit in my hands. I will have to keep an eye out there for something that will fit in my hand better. Anyways, I will stop crying now...

Also:

I have been trying to work on my putting. I think I am switching over from Wizards to Judges. The shallower flight plate fits my hand better (although Judges do feel very wide in my hand). I also picked up a few Pure putters to experiment with. My issue now is that I am practicing with both and haven't made up my mind on which one I like more.

Practice 15's. Then the putter is less of an issue and more focus on the stoke/motion. Muscle memory is huge.

I have actually been going to the park to practice putting lately! I am changing up my putting style for inside the circle puts.

Latest posts