• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just starting out. Disc recommendations?

DX Aviar, DX Leopard and either Buzzz or Roc, all about 165g. Less discs is more. Learn these then move on.

I don't think Teebirds are overstable for noobs, unless you have a pretty weak armed noob. It's a fairway driver so it's pretty slow and I wish like crazy I had picked a Tbird as my first driver. I would suggest a TL but it only comes in Star.

You know, i think it depends onif you have any natural throwing ability depending on athletics ahead of time BUT everyone is going to think they pretty athletic or have a strong arm, and they may, but for disc golf, most people I see, whether they can throw a Teebird or not, is going to be better off starting with Leopard.

Same thing goes for the Valk suggestions as well. Has nothing to do with stability, its about the speed.

I started with a Shark, a Leopard and a putter. My accuracy was awful when I first started so I was happy with shorter distances, but I at least stayed in the fairway!

Well I only said buy DX because it's cheaper and he may lose it as most people I know who have owned a leopard lost it(likely because they were just starting) so instead of losing around $15 worth of a disc you lose about 8. Anyways I would say if you have courses heavily wooded just go with champion, it's the most durable plastic or elite z if in discraft. Personally I don't see the use in spending the extra dollar or so on star since it's extra grip doesn't seem to offer all that much extra.

Yeah... it's all about the grip. Forget that they fly different.

agree with light weights and best is to start with mids to get form down then move to a teebird or valk....my first disc was an eagle and I loved that thing until it broke. darn dx! lol

One Disc is all you need to start

I started with a Innova Coyote (Champion Plastic). Good all around disc to see if you like the sport. Add discs as you get better.

I started with a Shark, a Leopard and a putter. My accuracy was awful when I first started so I was happy with shorter distances, but I at least stayed in the fairway!

That's a great set of beginner discs, it's what I give to everyone I introduce to the sport: leopard, shark, aviar.

Putter:
Whatever feels great in your hand! My choice is the Discraft Soft Banger GT, but I started with the Innova Aviar P&A, then the Omega Super Soft.

Midrange:
Innova Wolf, Stingray, Coyote, Panther or Cobra; Discraft Storm, Stratus, Glide, Impact, or Buzzz. My choices would be Cobra or Stingray (I still use my Stingray daily.).

Driver:
Innova Leopard or Discraft Xpress. If you're a ball player, you could also get away with the Innova Teebird L (TL) or Discraft XL or XS.

If you're looking for a simple and cost effective solution, the Innova Starter pack has the Leopard, Shark (or Stingray), and Aviar P&A; the premium plastic Starter pack has the Valkyrie, Panther, and Aviar, but the Valkyrie is a bit faster than you're going to want, I'd think, and the Discraft Starter pack has the XL, Buzzz, and the APS putter. If your primary course is heavily wooded, I'd suggest the Discraft set as their Pro D plastic tends to hold up to tree hits just a bit better than Innova's DX.

Last edited:
As starter disc, a Lightning #1 slice, it's easy to throw, easy to handle, and it float.
A lightning upshot for approach and putting. Go with weights in the 165 range.

Putter:
Whatever feels great in your hand! My choice is the Discraft Soft Banger GT, but I started with the Innova Aviar P&A, then the Omega Super Soft.

Midrange:
Innova Wolf, Singray, Coyote, Panther or Cobra; Discraft Storm, Stratus, Glide, Impact, or Buzzz. My choices would be Cobra or Stingray (I still use my Stingray daily.).

Driver:
Innova Leopard or Discraft Xpress. If you're a ball player, you could also get away with the Innova Teebird L (TL) or Discraft XL or XS.

If you're looking for a simple and cost effective solution, the Innova Starter pack has the Leopard, Shark (or Stingray), and Aviar P&A; the premium plastic Starter pack has the Valkyrie, Panther, and Aviar, but the Valkyrie is a bit faster than you're going to want, I'd think, and the Discraft Starter pack has the XL, Buzzz, and the APS putter. If your primary course is heavily wooded, I'd suggest the Discraft set as their Pro D plastic tends to hold up to tree hits just a bit better than Innova's DX.

This is the most complete nd comprehensive advice I have seen for this.

Well don Volk

I am not just pushing this disc because I like it. From what I have seen, the Soft Magnet, is the best putter for beginers.

That's a great set of beginner discs, it's what I give to everyone I introduce to the sport: leopard, shark, aviar.

The only problems I've had with the shark was the weird skip roll sort of thing it would always do on a good approach shot that would make my put a lot longer. Also the way it felt in my hand just felt wrong, loved how the disc flew but I couldn't stand to hold it too long if I was gripping it like normal preparing for a shot(thinking about it a little). Still a great disc, but I picked up a star san marino roc the other day and that made the decision for me, bought it and it feels so much better in my hand, just a great overstable mid.

If you are starting to play you wont need to have so many discs,3 discs is good to start with.
If you don´t know how much power you have you should start geting light discs that you could use later on if you need some turn over discs.
Okey,,,for putting you could use a magnet,challenger or a aviar in 150-165g.For a midrange you could chose a panther,kite or a skeeter and for the driving, a goood beginer driver is those with less speed and more glide like a Archangle,Valkyrie or a Teebird.

If i would have to chose from these then i would have taken the challenger,the panther and the teebird and in a low weight.

If you are starting to play you wont need to have so many discs,3 discs is good to start with.
If you don´t know how much power you have you should start geting light discs that you could use later on if you need some turn over discs.
Okey,,,for putting you could use a magnet,challenger or a aviar in 150-165g.For a midrange you could chose a panther,kite or a skeeter and for the driving, a goood beginer driver is those with less speed and more glide like a Archangle,Valkyrie or a Teebird.

If i would have to chose from these then i would have taken the challenger,the panther and the teebird and in a low weight.

I don't know that I'd suggest a valk unless it was 150g or less. I replaced my leopard after my second day out(since I lost it) with a 166g Roadrunner and there was a while there where I had to put a pretty big anhyzer on it to get it anywhere just because I didn't have good form or snap or anything. Archangel maybe though. And the problem with going 150 is it being effected by the wind so easily, it would definitely be easier to throw, but on a windy day they would want something closer to 165.

I wouldnt recommend a light putter for that very reason. Nothing more frustrating than a putt that just sails away like a piece of trash in the wind when you barely threw it...or worse boomeranging on you and ending up behind you or hitting you on its return.

I don't know that I'd suggest a valk unless it was 150g or less. I replaced my leopard after my second day out(since I lost it) with a 166g Roadrunner and there was a while there where I had to put a pretty big anhyzer on it to get it anywhere just because I didn't have good form or snap or anything. Archangel maybe though. And the problem with going 150 is it being effected by the wind so easily, it would definitely be easier to throw, but on a windy day they would want something closer to 165.

When you are beginning to play you should not be thinking about the wind so much because the discs are affected by the wind in a way that you could´t understand on your first rounds.

After some time the lighter discs can be the best wind fighters i you know how to use them.

And remember if you want to get better faster just bring a friend to play with.If you play with somebody you will remember what you have done and learn how to play discgolf faster.

I also agree with the lighter discs in 150 but you could probably go up to 165 and not get that hurt by it, 150 will just be a little further for someone starting out and anything much over 165 and it really makes discs more overstable.

When you are beginning to play you should not be thinking about the wind so much because the discs are affected by the wind in a way that you could´t understand on your first rounds.

After some time the lighter discs can be the best wind fighters i you know how to use them.

And remember if you want to get better faster just bring a friend to play with.If you play with somebody you will remember what you have done and learn how to play discgolf faster.

Well you can at least understand how a wind from the side will effect a disc. And maybe if you start to understand how the wind effects it you could successfully throw 150g's but no beginner will understand and for a male that's not elderly 165ish should be fine. But I still stand behind what I said earlier about the valk, I just started throwing a valk and still have trouble sometimes(definitely wish I had something closer to 165 but not below 160).

Well you can at least understand how a wind from the side will effect a disc. And maybe if you start to understand how the wind effects it you could successfully throw 150g's but no beginner will understand and for a male that's not elderly 165ish should be fine. But I still stand behind what I said earlier about the valk, I just started throwing a valk and still have trouble sometimes(definitely wish I had something closer to 165 but not below 160).

You are right,AND I have an champion I DYE 175g Valkyrie and it holds the straight line and don´t turn over so much.It would be best to get one in 150-class if you want to start with a Valkyrie..Or just buy one in DX plastic.I have also an 175g DX Valkyrie that almost makes an 90 degree flip when throw with half my power(IT IS VERY BEATEN UP AND ALMOST LANDS UPSIDE DOWN WHEN THROWN ON A HYZER FLIP)

Latest posts