• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just starting out. Disc recommendations?

I highly recommend the Stratus for a mid as its fairly easy to control and keep on a straight line.
Driver wise there have been a lot of great suggestions and aside from them I'd also recommend the Stalker. And Volklgirl hit the nail on the head with regards to putters ... find one that feels the most comfortable in and leaving your hand. If you want a slim putter I really like the Latitude 64 Spike.

A friend took me disc golfing the other day and I'm looking into getting a set of discs. Any suggestions for someone just starting out?

First eat your wheaties,then go get yourself a couple understable discs and a soft putter and start punishing yourself on the golf course, ive been experimenting with new discs for 14+ years and still learning new things all the time. Happy discing, welcome to the club!!

also.... i havent read all the posts on this thread so sorry if im repeating somebody but when you begin your technique is the most important thing to focus on, fine tuning a selection of discs comes with time and experience and knowing how your style works with different discs,manufacturers and plastic types.

You are right,AND I have an champion I DYE 175g Valkyrie and it holds the straight line and don´t turn over so much.It would be best to get one in 150-class if you want to start with a Valkyrie..Or just buy one in DX plastic.I have also an 175g DX Valkyrie that almost makes an 90 degree flip when throw with half my power(IT IS VERY BEATEN UP AND ALMOST LANDS UPSIDE DOWN WHEN THROWN ON A HYZER FLIP)

yeah my 171g valk goes strait then fades, no turn, then again I'm still pretty new and don't seem to turn over my 166g RR either. I was about to buy a 163g dx in orange and then the next day the disc shop was open it was gone.

Leopard is probably the best choice for a fairway. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I really liked the Innova Vroc when I first started out. It goes dead straight and has a comfortable feel. And if you don't like the Vroc go with a Mako3. The Aviar is a great choice for a putter.

It'd be cool if threads that have been completely dead for 5+ years could just get automatically locked.....

Some old threads are fun to read how much answers change (or don't change) over time, and are worthy of a necro-bump. Others, like this one, are best left in hibernation where they belong. It's a subjective distinction, so I'd rather not see an objective amount of time used to permanently lock old threads.

Some old threads are fun to read how much answers change (or don't change) over time, and are worthy of a necro-bump. Others, like this one, are best left in hibernation where they belong. It's a subjective distinction, so I'd rather not see an objective amount of time used to permanently lock old threads.

You make an excellent point.

Leopard
Truth
Judge or Aviar

Dropping knawledge on a decades old thread, always a solid move.

I would say:

DX PNA Aviar 165g... Judge actually is probably even better as someone is probably more likely to end up settling in Classic Judges as opposed to DX Aviars.

X Buzzz 170ish g

Pro Leopard 165ish g

Actually, say I am going in blind to a situation where I don't know who it is I'm recommending a starter pack to, could be an athletic 20 y/o sporto, or a kid, or an oldie, I would go with:

DX Mirage 160ish g - putts just fine, and will either fly straight or turnover depending on power - it's vital I find to put something in the hands of a beginner that will fly straight, and to demonstrate the magic of aerodynamic turn

X Buzzz in a low weight, I guess in the 160s - kind of a safe bet I guess. If they are turning over the Mirage they will probably be reaching for this

GStar teeb 165ish - wow, fade!!! In a workable package, no less, forehand friendly.

I think the best answer to this if you are brand spanking new to the game is to just get the innova starter pack. Aviar, shark, leopard. Available at your local Walmart.

Once you get a bunch of rounds in and get some things figured out, we can make other suggestions at that point. But for starters? That set is perfect.

Latest posts