• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas City for a First Timer

chosenmatrix

Par Member
Quick question for anyone familiar with the KC disc golf courses. My girlfriend and I will be visiting KC. I am hoping to introduce her to the game. (risky I know:|). I was wanting to find a course that is both scenic and short.

Obviously waterworks would provide great views of the city, but I think it would be daunting to play as a first timer.

It can be a relatively unknown 9-holer, whatever.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Rosedale is much more approachable than Waterworks, and has the benefit of a Dynamic Discs retail store just two blocks from the park, so there's the opportunity for shopping if she's bitten by the bug and has to have her own gear right away.

Hey, I'm not from KC, and haven't ever been there, but I was intrigued by your question, and used it as a thought experiment: "how would I want to introduce the lady in my life to my hobby, and have the best chance to have her really enjoy herself...and maybe want to take it up with me?"

I'd start by trying to remember what I liked when I started out: holes that were clean, short enough to give me hope, and a course that might make me want to go out again. And (hopefully not), if disc golf wasn't really going to click with her, she'd still be able to get through it with the least frustration. :eek:

I went to the course map and clicked in the middle of Kansas City, then said show me only courses with nine holes and under 2000 feet in total. I found Lenexa to fit the bill. I read the trusted reviewers' take on it, and, while very short, it fit the criteria pretty well.

Local opinions? :\ :)

you could always take her to rosedale or some 9 hole to try to teach her. If you haven't played waterworks you should try to stop and play though... it would prolly be next to impossible for her to enjoy playing it but the course has awesome views and that would be appealing to her from that aspect most likely.

Quick question for anyone familiar with the KC disc golf courses. My girlfriend and I will be visiting KC. I am hoping to introduce her to the game. (risky I know:|). I was wanting to find a course that is both scenic and short.

Obviously waterworks would provide great views of the city, but I think it would be daunting to play as a first timer.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Actually never played the Lenexa Course. But have seen it in my way to Shawnee Mission Park, and it looks pretty nice.

I'd second Rosedale as a pretty good place for a first timer while still allowing you to see a good course with some nature,but I wouldn't call it short.

The 9 hole in Prairie Village is really great for a beginner but not scenic..

Swope park is also a beautiful Park. Not really easy or short, but beginners play there all the time.

I know I didn't really help much. I'd maybe look at the course reviews for kc area and bring a few back to this thread with you. That way you can ask people to narrow them down for you. Maybe find one close to where you are staying.

The little Lenexa course will be good for a first timer. Here's another nine hole option that went in recently, but I haven't played it yet.

Harmon & Sante Fe Parks

The top course at Rosedale will be okay if its mostly set short (which it usually is). The front section (1-8 and 18) of Prairie Center is another good option.

If they can be accessed, there's a couple of reasonably good school courses in the area on opposite sites of the metro. Blue Valley of KS (aka Pleasant Ridge Middle School) in Overland Park, and Fox Hill Fliers in north KCMO. Best not to go to these if school is in session.

I was successful in getting my wife (girlfriend at the time) to love disc golf a few years ago. I learned a few lessons along the way that I will try to impart with you. These are in no way laws, just my own experience, your mileage may vary.

1. Don't try to get her using perfect form right away. Just let her throw and enjoy. If she winds up continuing, you can gradually introduce good form tips and show her some stuff, but don't overload her on this, keep it to 1 thing at a time.

2. This may be unique to my case, but my wife did not want to play when it was crowded, or when we had a large group. This is okay, she doesn't need to play every time. Don't grief her or guilt her into playing, eventually she'll work up confidence.

3. Again, maybe this is just my experience, but in the beginning she did not want to play full courses (especially some of the 24 hole courses around). Start out with some short, 9 hole courses. You are already on the right track here.

4. She probably won't want to play as often as you, and that's okay. Invite her, make her feel welcome, but at the same time don't make her feel guilty for not wanting to play. Just talk about how much fun you had when you get home and let the seed grow on its own.

5. Buy her her own discs, don't just pawn off your old ones. This will help her establish a sense of ownership in the sport. Make sure they are aesthetically pleasing to her (pink works great) and are 150 class or lower.

6. Don't play too fast. Part of the allure for her will be getting out on the course, taking a nice walk through some light nature with her man. Don't take this away from her. Obviously you don't want to be holding up a crowded course, but if you're able, just take your time and talk about non disc golf stuff while you play. Think of it as a really awesome romantic walk, rather than a round of disc golf.

7. Don't play your best. In fact, tank on purpose. Miss puts, drive with mids, don't out throw her by more than 100'. This will help with the pressure. If you are playing well, she will just feel more conscientious of being a beginner.

These are just mild observations. I'm not claiming that they will be a road map to success, but my wife now loves coming to play disc golf with not only me, but my friends as well. Just remember that the more casual you make it, the more fun it will be.

I have to agree with scarpfish's Blue Valley recommendation (be careful - there are several course listings for Blue Valley in the area and you want the one at the middle school). It is really a great beginner course or fun for a quick round for a more experienced player. It's laid-out well and navigated easily, most holes are about 250' but it is a little ways outside of KC

Swope Park is in KC and is a great course for newer players. Longer holes but layout allows for playing for the back & forth open fairways of the first 9 holes and remain close to the parking lot in case you need that.

Lenexa (Sar-Ko-Par) has the shortest layout. It's a pitch & putt and can be played in 15 minutes. The pins are also in the short placements right now, so it's really easy for beginners to reach the baskets in short order. It's not scenic, though, and not a course I'd use as an intro to the game.

Harmon Park in Prairie Village is the course I'll recommend. Short enough for beginners while being long enough for experienced players. Is a more interesting walk than in Lenexa.

First if you plan on playing during prime throwing hours in nice weather most all the courses will have hordes of players with Rosedale being the worst.
I would suggest a mid morning round for best case scenario. Shawnee Mission Park (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2574 ) would be my first choice . Nice neighborhood, lake by park, and many decent eating establishments near by. Moreover SMP is one of the best maintained and beautiful courses in town. You can feel the love the parks department has for their course. But once again anything after 3 pm and you can expect hordes of people.

Best of luck.

Personally, I would say take her to Blue Valley of Kansas (Not Blue Valley in Missouri). It's a great beginner course but will also have a couple of challenges for yourself that will make it more fun for both of you to play. Also, while it is next to a school and actually seems as if it is on the property, the land is owned by BV P&R so it is cool to play any time and day. No matter if school is going or not. Just shouldn't drink there.

Lenexa course (So-Kar-Par trail or whatever it's called) is a Mini Disc Golf Course with Big baskets. Not really an intro to the game. Luckily it only takes 15 mins to play or you might fall asleep before you get done.

Rosedale is a good bigger course to take her too if you go early in the morning. It gets busy quick and the kids there are the casual of the casuals. They kind of suck. Just an opinion.

Swope is a great bigger course to take her too, minus the shady neighborhood. It isn't as bad as it looks but it can scare out of towners who may not have been there before.

Shawnee Mission Park is a good course that is bigger as well. Although during the summer the tall grass sucks.

Finally, I always suggest checking out the kcfdc.org forum. It is very active and you will get more opinions than you'll know what to do with from the KC area.

Have fun while in KC. There are plenty of must play courses that aren't beginner friendly. So let us know when you need those suggestions.

Thanks for all the input everyone. That definitely helps.

I have played all of the major KC courses. Rosedale, Swope, Waterworks, etc.... I just haven't really gotten off the beaten path. I am hoping that we can go play together, but then maybe Ill schedule her a massage or something, so I can get out to really play. Hahaha.

Thanks again!

7. Don't play your best. In fact, tank on purpose. Miss puts, drive with mids, don't out throw her by more than 100'. This will help with the pressure. If you are playing well, she will just feel more conscientious of being a beginner.

Let me expand on this and what worked well for me. Throw with your off hand. For us, we are both right handed, so when I would throw left handed I could face her, she could mirror me to learn basic form. Then we were both pretty much on the same learning curve - we were competitive on the course, she could even beat me before long. Something would click for me and I would say "hey, I figured out that this worked, how does it feel for you?l" And I was learning a skill that I would occasionally find useful on the course.

I was successful in getting my wife (girlfriend at the time) to love disc golf a few years ago. I learned a few lessons along the way that I will try to impart with you. These are in no way laws, just my own experience, your mileage may vary.

Thought I could build on this outstanding post. My wife has been playing for nearly 20 years now. It was a slow process, but the driving force was her urge to share one of my passions.

1. Don't try to get her using perfect form right away. Just let her throw and enjoy. If she winds up continuing, you can gradually introduce good form tips and show her some stuff, but don't overload her on this, keep it to 1 thing at a time.

Great idea, "telling" my wife what to do, or how to do it, is generally a bad plan anyway.

2. This may be unique to my case, but my wife did not want to play when it was crowded, or when we had a large group. This is okay, she doesn't need to play every time. Don't grief her or guilt her into playing, eventually she'll work up confidence.

For sure. My wife came and just walked the course with us for a couple years. Slowly, she decided to give it a shot. She was self conscience and did not like to be watched at first.

3. Again, maybe this is just my experience, but in the beginning she did not want to play full courses (especially some of the 24 hole courses around). Start out with some short, 9 hole courses. You are already on the right track here.

Mrs. ru4por loved the big courses. She like the hike. Often picking a spot down the fairway for her own personal tee, or using the short tees. I would have to think shorter, open courses would build confidence though.

4. She probably won't want to play as often as you, and that's okay. Invite her, make her feel welcome, but at the same time don't make her feel guilty for not wanting to play. Just talk about how much fun you had when you get home and let the seed grow on its own.

Truth. But now, she is upset if she cannot come along.

5. Buy her her own discs, don't just pawn off your old ones. This will help her establish a sense of ownership in the sport. Make sure they are aesthetically pleasing to her (pink works great) and are 150 class or lower.

Lol, this was a big deal to her. X Xpress (Pinks and reds), Diamonds (Pink), Leopards (White with pink hearts), Breeze (Red) and a purple swirly APX (Now a Pink Soft Magnet) Having her own discs, bag, towel, water bottle was a big milestone. I think it was her statement that she was now a disc golfer. She proudly displays a Discraft window decal on her Mustang's back window.

6. Don't play too fast. Part of the allure for her will be getting out on the course, taking a nice walk through some light nature with her man. Don't take this away from her. Obviously you don't want to be holding up a crowded course, but if you're able, just take your time and talk about non disc golf stuff while you play. Think of it as a really awesome romantic walk, rather than a round of disc golf.

My wife does not play over water (fear of losing discs), has certain holes she just does not like, gets tired, hungry, cold....she plays when she wants and gets zero grief from me or my friends. Getting her comfortable with peeing in the woods, was another very big step. Opened up the world of traveling and playing.

Great suggestion, would not work in my world. She is athletic and competitive.

These are just mild observations. I'm not claiming that they will be a road map to success, but my wife now loves coming to play disc golf with not only me, but my friends as well. Just remember that the more casual you make it, the more fun it will be.

Again, really great suggestions. Mrs. ru4por is hooked, she loves to play, spending time together, see our friends, visiting courses around the country. We are heading to Alaska in August and she has researched a course already. Great scenery and a chance to see moose.
She always has fun, and if she is not having fun, she stops playing and walks.
Good luck with the introduction and just make sure it is fun.

Last edited:
I am from out of town as well but flew into KC for work last year. I went to Rosedale Park - Top. It is easier as far as I can tell, so it is better for beginners. I had a great time and it was a fun course.

After that I went to Oklahoma Joe's for some good BBQ. If you are into that I highly recommend it. The restaurant is in a gas station, and, since it is so close to the park, they sell some golf discs as well. That worked well for me, hope that helps.

Some good tips for getting a lady friend to play and here's a few more....
My wife wasn't the biggest outdoors person when we started so for probably the first 3 or 4 months when she would throw in a bad spot (steep hill, deep thorns etc.) I would simply go get her shot and have her try again. Also the amount of holes we played was completely up to her...if she only wanted to play 6 holes that day that was all we played. After some time her competitive nature took over and she decided to throw her next shot even if it went someplace bad and she decided she wanted to finish the whole round. The other thing someone mentioned was havinh her pick her own equipment. My wife was at first very concerned with disc color....she wanted to throw lots of pinks and purples etc....she now likes the game as much as I do and we travel all over the country playing.

And if you go to Joe's, the Dynamic Discs retail shop is literally less than 100 feet away, in the corner of the adjacent strip mall. It would be criminal not to go inside and pick through the used rack and shoot the breeze.