• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas City Recommendations

ajluty

Hey Everyone,

This year for our annual DG trip we will be travelling to the Kansas City area in June. We're coming from Milwaukee and will be driving through Des Moines. We won't be stopping on the way to Des Moines, but anything between DM and KC is fair game too.

Looks like there are a ton of courses in the area so which ones should we not miss while we're there? We already plan on playing at Water Works. We have 3 full days so we're going to try to pack in 9-10 courses.

Also, where's the "best" BBQ joint in town?

Thanks for the help!

Swope park and the BBQ place on the corner by the DD store is supposed to be pretty good

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Rosedale (up top and down under) are the courses right by Dynamic Discs KC. Also by one of the best BBQ joints in the country, Joe's Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joes).

If you're going to get 9-10 courses in, you will be able to hit all the top ones and then some. The must sees imho are Waterworks, Swope, Bad Rock Creek, Rosedale (2), and maybe Cliff Drive.

Then there are a ton of others that are awesome too, just not necessarily known as kc staples. Shawnee Mission Park, Legacy Park, Lake Olathe, Heritage Park are a few more I really enjoy, just further south compared to the others. You will have a blast no matter where you end up. Pretty wide variety of woods, open field, elevation, and park golf as well.

smithville lake has three courses in the Paradise Point complex. Check em out. Lots of wind off the lake, but a good challenge. Though it is not bbq, there is a joint in Smithville called Kozaks. Good sandwiches and burgers. You can get BBQ anywhere in town, and everybody has there favorite, but you seriously cannot go wrong with (the already mentioned) Joe's down by Rosedale.

LC's bbq is my favorite in KC, its at an old junk yard looking place but they have the best burnt ends on earth. The lines at Joes, Gates, and Arthur Bryant's keep me away, plus they are extremely touristy.

The courses to hit in KC are many. To list a few.

Waterworks... moderately wooded with much history.

Swope... Have watched many KC wide open champs crowded here. (In the hood)

Blue Valley... Bomb Town! You won't get 3 rounds in one day if one is Blue Valley. 11,000ft with much elevation. (In the hood )

Cliff Drive... Many people like this course. (In the hood).

KANSAS SIDE

Rosedale... Two courses in one. One moderately wooded the other heavily wooded. Grass maintenance can be a problem.

Wyco... Long with many chances to air it out. Grass maintenance can be a problem

Shawnee Mission Park... Moderately wooded and maintained very well.

Birdland... Newer course becoming one of the towns favorite. Many chances to air it out here with some elevation. Also very well maintained.

Also I would try to catch Pickard and Graceland on the drive from DesMoines.

The KC wide open will be June 9-11 so check your schedule.

Good luck in your ventures.

Last edited:
I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy backing onto his thread, but I'm visiting KC myself. I pretty much laid out all the courses I plan to hit, but would really appreciate local input on places to eat... looking forward to some great barbecue!

Courses I plan to bag:
Akita's Run/Ozark Mountain/ Spencer-Davis
Harmony Bends
Water Works Park
Lakeside Hills (Birdland)
Heritage Park

Time permitting:
Bloomington
Longview

I realize the 1st couple of destinations aren't exactly considered KC, but courses like those are the reason you take road trips in the first place. :D

Last edited:
My wife and I ate at Q39 based off of a few different locals that we met and we really enjoyed it. https://q39kc.com/. I'd go early if you eat there, filled up fast. Could be hard to get a big group in otherwise also. Probably pretty loud during peak times also.