• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping a positive attitude is just hippie malarkey

Teebird Elvis

Par Member
After years and years of this positive attitude idea that somehow a positive attitude will make everything better in your life is just not so. Stepping up behind a 30' putt and believing I can make it has zero influence on me actually making the putt.

Sure, there is a mental aspect to the game, but keeping that fluffy, feminine positive attitude isn't it. Sure, on that beautiful, sunny, no wind, perfect day, playing by yourself, no groups in front of or behind you, yes, a positive attitude will work.

But get into a dogfight on a windy, cloudy day that is cold and spitting rain, and everyone is pressuring you to hurry up, the Mary Poppins thought pattern doesn't cut it.

Keep a negative thought pattern. Create a huge bolder, and put it on your shoulder. Have an attitude. If someone says "hi", pretend they said, "you are going to fail." Have a mental attitude that really states the plastic smiles and faces of disc golf. The other players WANT you to lose.

Now, go tick them off by winning.

Gotta be mentally tough. Being mad doesn't mean you don't believe anymore. It means you don't settle for mediocre performance.

But don't doubt the mental aspect of the game. If you have skills but don't believe, you will never realize your potential.

You gotta be a dog out there

I think determined and emotionless is better. You can't live and die with each shot, and the only shot that matters is the next one. Watching Roger Federer play proves this to me every time...

Do you want to be amazing? Good! I hope so!
Instead of Bud Light, try FatTire.
Instead of Teebirds throw Laces.
Instead of Elvis, try the Rolling Stones.

Of course positivity is a load! You can only ease the pain, or smooth it over with paint.

OP does not have a positive mental attitude. I suspect he has been doing it wrong.

For a lot of players I know, a better mental game would shave a half dozen strokes a round.

hippy malarky or whatever, people seem to do stupid things. lord knows, i have. a good mental game is avoiding the big mistake. good golf is fun. you wanna remember why you love doing it and letting it rip.

one of the great things about the mental game is that your head is one of the places you can exercise consistent control. i'm an old guy and my body has some days better than others, but i've learned to stay inside the game i've got and score pretty well. have you considered your pre-shot routine?

I guess i just wanted to say i keep a positive attitude because it's more fun that way and fun's the reason i do it.

Sonny is correct. He who has the most fun wins!!!

Sonny, we meeting at Sugaree sometime this summer??? We are overdue. I'd even bring my tent this time!!!!!!

OP does not have a positive mental attitude. I suspect he has been doing it wrong.

Not anymore.
I have a winning attitude.

You look at a glass, and say it is half full.
I see a glass half full, and I fill it. I do not accept halfway.

Well I don't know about all that, but I do fully support your right to drink Bud Light. To each his own. Screw all the beer snobs!

Do you want to be amazing? Good! I hope so!
Instead of Bud Light, try FatTire.
Instead of Teebirds throw Laces.
Instead of Elvis, try the Rolling Stones.

Of course positivity is a load! You can only ease the pain, or smooth it over with paint.

I'm no Innova apologist, but Teebirds don't deserve to be lumped in with Bud Light.

Latest posts