• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lacey Brugler Suspension

The PGA Tour doesn't specify reasons in their disciplinary actions, though typically the media figures them out via anonymous sources or the players themselves.

Other sports have disciplinary processes that are negotiated with the players' unions. Part of those agreements probably include language related to the privacy issue. Like if an NFL player is suspended for a drug violation, part of the policy agreed upon by the league and the union allows the NFL to say that the player was suspended for a drug violation.

There's also the factor of player violations are typically already public before discipline is meted out. Like if a baseball pitcher charges the mound, then gets suspended the next day for it, there really isn't a whole lot of need for discretion about why he was suspended.

Something else to consider is that when teams (not leagues) discipline a player, they often do not disclose the reason. Plenty of players have been disciplined by their employer for "violation of team rules" or some other vague reason. They're under no obligation to reveal more than that.

The PGA does receive a fair amount of criticism for their "secrecy."

http://https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/sports/golf/pga-tour-punishments-player-secrecy.html

There is only one scorecard per card at MOST tournaments.

WOW, I'm shocked that is the policy at top tier tournaments. All you would have to do is be the one turning it in and have a good eraser on your pencil.

Given the ease of cheating, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents.

WOW, I'm shocked that is the policy at top tier tournaments. All you would have to do is be the one turning it in and have a good eraser on your pencil.

At DGPT events this is a not an issue because of Udisc scoring for almost all cards. Also, most NT events have live scoring as well as DGWT/Major events. So actually, at our highest level of play, its really hard to cheat because there is another method to check the scores.

It wouldn't get far. Somebody else on the card is bound to notice a score posted that doesn't match what he remembered. Especially on the top card, where it matters.

The opportunity is in being the person recording scores, which usually rotates between players. Once the card is finished and totaled, you'd have to be pretty brazen to try, and probably not get away with it anyway.

One of the first tournaments I played was a doubles event. It seemed like my partner and I were playing better than another team all day but when we showed up at the event the next day and the other team was ahead of us. We couldn't prove any cheating but from that time on I started keeping my own score card so I could make sure pencil whipping wouldn't happen to me again also it was a souvenir for the events I won.

At DGPT events this is a not an issue because of Udisc scoring for almost all cards. Also, most NT events have live scoring as well as DGWT/Major events. So actually, at our highest level of play, its really hard to cheat because there is another method to check the scores.

At USDGC, they do use multiple cards and record the scores of the other groupmates.

One of the first tournaments I played was a doubles event. It seemed like my partner and I were playing better than another team all day but when we showed up at the event the next day and the other team was ahead of us. We couldn't prove any cheating but from that time on I started keeping my own score card so I could make sure pencil whipping wouldn't happen to me again also it was a souvenir for the events I won.

I played a doubles charity fundraiser yesterday, and one of the groups on my card in the second round did the same thing. There was apparently a dispute on their first round card, and for the second round one of them decided to keep score in parallel with me. I can completely understand where they were coming from, really. I'f you're going to do something like that, why do it in a charity event, in the Rec division? There was very little on the line, and from now on the guys from their first round card will have everybody watching them.

Most top events it isn't the policy any longer, as others have pointed out regarding live scoring becoming more ubiquitous.

At other events (B tier and below, typically), the biggest reason there is often just one scorecard per group is a cost-saving measure. 36 scorecards for a 2-round, one course tournament is easier than 72 or 90 (X 2 if using fresh cards each round).

Between phone apps and eraseable/re-useable scorecards becoming more common, it is really simple for any player to keep score for themselves or their whole group in addition to the official scorecard(s). It's a good practice for every player to get into, not just for purposes of preventing cheating, but also it can be good just to have a personal record of one's rounds.

Even beyond that, the easiest way to prevent shenanigans with the scorecard after it has been counted and verified by the group is for the whole group to turn it in together. Not just to prevent any one from pencil whipping, but also to make sure no one walks off with it accidentally and forgets to turn it in...something that, in my experience, is more common than pencil whipping.

The PDGA, nor I, have said a word about Lacey and why she was suspended.

However, there's been dozens of facebook posts, multiple podcasts and this thread that all accuse her of cheating.

So I'm not sure what you as a player would gain if the PDGA confirmed that was she was suspended.

My post that you responded to literally states what I as a player would gain if the PDGA confirmed suspensions for cheating.

"It would be nice if the PDGA let their own members know if someone was suspended for cheating. It would at least give you an opportunity to keep an eye out if you're ever on a card with that person in the future..."

I'm not a female, so in this case I would gain nothing. However, I'm sure Lacey's competitors will be wary when playing on a card with her now. They gain the knowledge that they should watch out for a known cheater.

With the PDGA's secrecy, it almost seems like they're invested in protecting known cheaters.

"It would be nice if the PDGA let their own members know if someone was suspended for cheating. It would at least give you an opportunity to keep an eye out if you're ever on a card with that person in the future..."

I'd think you'd want to treat anyone the PDGA suspended with an extra bit of attention.

My post that you responded to literally states what I as a player would gain if the PDGA confirmed suspensions for cheating.

I'm not a female, so in this case I would gain nothing. However, I'm sure Lacey's competitors will be wary when playing on a card with her now. They gain the knowledge that they should watch out for a known cheater.

With the PDGA's secrecy, it almost seems like they're invested in protecting known cheaters.

I understand your frustration - however the list is published of who is suspended and who is on probation.

Anyone on this list is on there for a good reason and I recommend that players use this list a resource.

Why?? Keep your own score. Carrying a scorecard and writing everyone's score should be standard operating procedure, in a tournament. Just to prevent accidental error, if nothing else. All card members should add the scores at the end of a round and turn in the card together. This prevents any efforts at cheating. If this process is too much work, I am guess you are not so concerned to begin with. By you, I of course don't really mean you Snaps.

For the record, I could not care any less, as to why anyone is suspended.

Carrying a scorecard and writing everyone's score should be standard operating procedure, in a tournament.

I keep my own score card as a matter of course, and I find it interesting how people react to this habit. Some people find it interesting and clever, and wonder if they should try doing it too, other people are completely indifferent to the practice because it affects them not bit. A third portion are openly hostile to the practice. This third group are the ones I watch closely.