• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lake Michigan circle tour

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey, all.

I'm planning a semi-epic 10-day motorcycle tour around Lake Michigan for Summer 2017. My route will take me from Ames, IA to an overnight stop in Lake Geneva WI. Then to Milwaukee, where I'll board the express ferry to Muskegon MI, then continue up the lakeshore with overnight stops in Ludington, Traverse City and Mackinac Island for a rest day. From there, I'll continue around to the western shore of Green Bay, stopping in Shawano WI for another rest day. Thence commencing west to an overnight stop in Faribault MN and then back to Ames.

I'm looking for three things: awesome golf, awesome riding and awesome food and beverage.

Also, I'll be camping part of the time (Lake Geneva, Ludington, Traverse City), so any recommendations for tent camping locations near those cities would be appreciated.

Lake Geneva area: Grey/Silver Fox
Milwaukee: Brown Deer
Ludington: Get to Flip City. Mason County. Leviathan. There are more.
Green Bay: All poop. You could either head southeast-ish to Winter Park, go a bit southwest to Rollin' Ridge or head straight west, to:
Stevens Point: Standing Rocks. Big Eau Plaine. Yulga. First two are interchangeable, and both awesome.

From there, head either towards Eau Claire, and play Tower Ridge.

Or, go more south, and head to Sparta, and play Justin Trails.

Or head to the Twin Cities and play just about anything.

Camping at Flip is a cheap way to go and you're at a solid park.

Traverse City State Park is about $30 to camp and I think it's $5 for a daily motorcycle pass. Beautiful state park right on the water with gorgeous views at the beach, good amenities, and kept very clean. Make damn sure to hit up Hickory Hills DGP when you're in the area. One of the best courses around in my opinion. And you can't complain about view of Grand Traverse Bay and downtown Traverse City from hole 19's tee pad.
245203de.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Silver Mountain just west of St. Ignace on your way back from Mackinac Island. Again, three holes on a huge bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Beautiful vistas. Plus, from the alt tee on hole 9, you're shooting 800' with a 100'+ elevation drop. Epic feel good moments. Some of my favorite views in all of Disc Golf are at Silver Mountain.
00a26d2c.jpg

On a bike this sounds like one of the most enjoyable trips I've ever been on. Biking through the Upper Peninsula is truly a magical experience.

Have a blast and enjoy God's Country.

https://www.facebook.com/Buttersville-Campground-136573546374198/

I highly recommend this campground in Ludington. It is much more in tune with the DG lifestyle than the state campground. I would make reservations though. I have done the full circle jerk tours of Lakes Michigan and Erie. Fun trips with amazing DG possibilities! Enjoy!

13346568_799584363474849_4028818013721861597_n.jpg

Here is a pick of me and my wife visiting the campground on my old Interceptor. The campground sits on a cliff overlooking lake Michigan.

Last edited:
Thanks for tidbit on the ludington campground. It seems from my last trip that the state park campgrounds I visited (scouted but did not stay) were littered with massive rvs and jam-packed.

Quite jealous of your trip. I here the porcupines in the UP have a dg course! That would be high on my list for the views.

Thanks for all the hardcore michigan dgers for revealing some of their favorite spots! L

https://www.facebook.com/Buttersville-Campground-136573546374198/

I highly recommend this campground in Ludington. It is much more in tune with the DG lifestyle than the state campground. I would make reservations though. I have done the full circle jerk tours of Lakes Michigan and Erie. Fun trips with amazing DG possibilities! Enjoy!

What about the Mason County campground? I was looking at that since it's basically walking distance from the three Mason County Park courses. Of course, the one you're talking about is a short ride away. And it's on the lakefront, so that doesn't suck either.

Lake Geneva area: Grey/Silver Fox
Milwaukee: Brown Deer
Ludington: Get to Flip City. Mason County. Leviathan. There are more.
Green Bay: All poop. You could either head southeast-ish to Winter Park, go a bit southwest to Rollin' Ridge or head straight west, to:
Stevens Point: Standing Rocks. Big Eau Plaine. Yulga. First two are interchangeable, and both awesome.

From there, head either towards Eau Claire, and play Tower Ridge.

Or, go more south, and head to Sparta, and play Justin Trails.

Or head to the Twin Cities and play just about anything.

Thanks for the list. I've already got Silver Fox on the playlist. I've already played the GB courses (poopy), Winter and Rollin', and all of the big Twin Cities courses, so I'm looking for new tracks to play. Will seriously look at Stevens Point or Eau Claire.

I here the porcupines in the UP have a dg course! That would be high on my list for the views.

Looks awesome, just really out of the way from my intended route. Much like my drives off the tee.

What about the Mason County campground? I was looking at that since it's basically walking distance from the three Mason County Park courses. Of course, the one you're talking about is a short ride away. And it's on the lakefront, so that doesn't suck either.

Never stayed at that one. But Buttersville is private and secluded with a great beach.

Never stayed at that one. But Buttersville is private and secluded with a great beach.

Something to consider, for sure. I'm staying an extra day in Ludington, so that might be the ticket. Thanks for the info!

While in the traverse city area, make sure you play a round at Myles kimmerly in Maple City, Awesome course. Shorts brewery in bellaire for beer/foods. Lots of good food and drink in Traverse City. 7 monks, right brain, blue tractor, georginas, and little fleet just to name a few. Hell, PM me if you like, I have a bike, play DG, and like craft beer. M-22 has some great rides. Any way you look at it, you're gonna have a blast in the mitten!

After getting home from my Michigan trip. I realized that I really wished I had played myles because I really enjoyed the trip back from Traverse(hickory hills)to Manistee. Basically, drove within a half hour of it. Such a pretty area of Michigan.

As for the Traverse city area, the bays are amazing but really as a city it clashed with my zen of having way too much shopping, etc.. in the northwoods.