• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Macana

How does it compare to the judge?

It's better. Out of the three Trilogy Challenge discs this one was by far my favorite. Trilogy finally has a solid beaded putter. Hope they run these in zeros, would love stiffer versions and maybe an opto. But yeah, this one is the winner of the three.

We just had our Trilogy challenge on Saturday, and the Macana is awesome! It feels like a squashed dagger and putts very straight. It really shines with driving and approaches, where at 270ish feet it was flying dead straight with the smallest fade at the end. The only time it flipped was into a decent head wind, I haven't gotten any turn otherwise. It has good float on putts but not a ton of glide or speed when driving, making it easier to range. Obviously not everyone shared my enthusiasm for it, but that just meant I could trade for two more. :)

I just did the trilogy challenge yesterday. All three discs were quite a bit more over stable than I tend to like. I think I might like the macana once it broke in if it came in a softer plastic. It is a sneaky long driving putter, which is always nice. It didn't release from my hand the same as a classic soft judge, but that might have just been the stiffness of the plastic. When a say stiff, I recognize it is probably softer than gateway soft plastic, but I like really gummy everything. For example, gateway rff, dd classic soft, innova rpro, etc.

Zero Medium Macana launching Friday 9/25
Nice! Earlier I thought I'd have to wait until late October, which would mean that summer is completely over. Now I still get a change to test this in proper conditions.

I've really been waiting for this since my main putter, the Shield, is just not beating in enough. I love the Shield for drives and full power upshots, but making any kind of finesse upshots is difficult as you have to flex the shot.

I've held a Macana in my hand, but never thrown it, and even with the small bead it still feels quite similar to the Shield. In my mind these will be a perfect combination for all putter shots. :thmbup:

EDIT: Oh yeah and releasing it first in Zero Medium is just perfect as that is by far my favorite putter plastic.

How does the retro plastic compare to medium? Or is it the same?

Nice! Earlier I thought I'd have to wait until late October, which would mean that summer is completely over. Now I still get a change to test this in proper conditions.

I've really been waiting for this since my main putter, the Shield, is just not beating in enough. I love the Shield for drives and full power upshots, but making any kind of finesse upshots is difficult as you have to flex the shot.

I've held a Macana in my hand, but never thrown it, and even with the small bead it still feels quite similar to the Shield. In my mind these will be a perfect combination for all putter shots. :thmbup:

EDIT: Oh yeah and releasing it first in Zero Medium is just perfect as that is by far my favorite putter plastic.

Good luck with the Macana. I got one in my trilogy pack and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!! I'm a shield thrower as well, and love that disc. The Macana felt like a clunky plastic trash can lid coming out of my hand, and kept getting hung up on my fingers on release. We started calling it - The MaKaka - about halfway thru the round. Hate it as a putter, it would probably do well as a driving putter if you can handle the bead. My buddy I gave it to likes it and throws it off the tee. Not me!

Good luck with the Macana. I got one in my trilogy pack and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!! I'm a shield thrower as well, and love that disc. The Macana felt like a clunky plastic trash can lid coming out of my hand, and kept getting hung up on my fingers on release. We started calling it - The MaKaka - about halfway thru the round. Hate it as a putter, it would probably do well as a driving putter if you can handle the bead. My buddy I gave it to likes it and throws it off the tee. Not me!

That's funny because I've never unloaded a disc faster than I did the Shield. One of only about three discs I've ever actually hated.

I don't have anything against the Macana in particular... It just bored me.

The plastic was pretty undesirable and the feel in the hand was not great, but the flight was fine. Drives well, putts alright... Does the job, you just won't ever see me jumping up and down to get my hands on another one!

That's funny because I've never unloaded a disc faster than I did the Shield. One of only about three discs I've ever actually hated.

That *is* funny. First time I held a shield, I knew it was the perfect putter for me. I wasn't even looking for a new putter, it just found me. Didn't even have to throw it to know. As soon I as I hit the course with it, it was money inside the circle. :D

Since then, I've had 3 of my regular card mates pick it up out of the basket and pause... they sorta fondle it, look at it twice to see what the heck it is, then ask "where can I get one of these?"

I know, I'm weird. I putt with super soft putters and drive with stiffer ones! :eek:

That's the thing about putting tho... only thing that truly matter is "Does it feel good in your hand"

I was hoping it would be a straighter Shield as my Shields really are taking too long to break in. Shields rule!

I was hoping it would be a straighter Shield as my Shields really are taking too long to break in. Shields rule!

All the good players at my trilogy challenge loved it, all the beginner players hated it. I think that tells you something. It definitely is a straighter shield. I just added the shield to my bag to complete my harp for upshots and off the tee. The Macana does fly like a slightly seasoned shield. Depending on how it flies in the medium will dictate if I add it to the bag. I'm just really trying to not carry more than 3 molds of putters in the bag.

I found it straight - stable. Nice medium depth as well. I liked it a lot for driving.

All the good players at my trilogy challenge loved it, all the beginner players hated it. I think that tells you something. It definitely is a straighter shield. I just added the shield to my bag to complete my harp for upshots and off the tee. The Macana does fly like a slightly seasoned shield. Depending on how it flies in the medium will dictate if I add it to the bag. I'm just really trying to not carry more than 3 molds of putters in the bag.

It may tell you something about players in your area. :p

Plenty of experienced players (including myself) despised it at mine. A buddy of mine who just started this year has all three of ours in his bag - he likes em a lot.

It feels absolutely nothing like a shield in the hand to me, or on release. At least, not any shield I own. That bead is extremely pronounced on the Macana. Uncomfortably so for my hand and release.

Then again, I grew up on Omega SS and similar gummy, soft putters. I use a Soft Shield in the circle, and my proxy or anode for driving putter/upshot duties. Can't drive a putter with a bead for some reason... they all come out of my hand jacked up.

It may tell you something about players in your area. :p

Plenty of experienced players (including myself) despised it at mine. A buddy of mine who just started this year has all three of ours in his bag - he likes em a lot.

It feels absolutely nothing like a shield in the hand to me, or on release. At least, not any shield I own. That bead is extremely pronounced on the Macana. Uncomfortably so for my hand and release.

Then again, I grew up on Omega SS and similar gummy, soft putters. I use a Soft Shield in the circle, and my proxy or anode for driving putter/upshot duties. Can't drive a putter with a bead for some reason... they all come out of my hand jacked up.

Thats funny, because it took me awhile to get used to holding a Shield, as it felt different from any putter I used, but learned to love it. When I held the Macana it felt like the first putter that was actually similar to the shield. It has the same profile as a shield but with the convex bottom rim and the bead, outside of that I cant really tell any difference when holding both.

Other than the "feel' in the hand, what did you not like about the Macana flight wise? Did it just go left instead of going straight?

Last edited:
I got to hold a Macana in my hand after a long while and still feel excited to get one on 25th.

Based on the design of the wing, I'd almost call it the VShield as in Vtech Shield. :D
It had a convex wing that looked quite similar to the VRoc one except in putter dimensions.

Latest posts