• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

League Play

nerojr

Bogey Member
Our local club is wanting to start having a weeking double league. This league would be random/draw doubles.

For those on this forum that have experience either with running or playing in a league, please offer some suggestion on how we league fun for everyone.

Do something different each week to draw the partners. On easter we all got to take an easter egg with aonther person's name in it with a little candy treat.

Here is how we do it in Augusta.

Play doubles once per week. Draw partners randomly. Use a version of the PDGA points system to keep individual standings. Each team member gets 1 point per team beat (i.e. Your team finishes the weekly round 6th out of 12. You and your partner both get 6 points). At the end of the year the top 16 individuals draw randomly for partners and play a round for the money that had been withheld for this purpose throughout the year.
Entry fee is $5 with an additional, optional $1 for the ace fund. Last year we had three different CTP holes per week. Each hole cost $1 to play for the CTP.
Simple and fun.

I agree, Ace pot and CTP is always a good way to highten the fun. If possible, bring some practice baskets and setup extra holes if there's room for them, everyone loves that in my league.

The CTPs and Ace pot definitely rock. Don't do completely random draws, that kinda sucks for the ams. Here in Raleigh you sign up as either a Pro, Adv, or Am. then pro/ am teams are drawn, then adv/am, then if any are left am/am. That way most Ams get at least a few chances of winning some discs. It is no fun when you play a random doubles that is completely random and two good pros get paired up. Also try to make it so the top am/am wins a disc or something also. It will keep more ams coming back.

The biggest league is this area is handicapped doubles with one partner for around 4-5 months. I'm not sure of the level of commitment of the players around, but everyone seems to have fun in it.

Latest posts