• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legacy PDGA #

sounds like a lame idea. these people should just learn to throw 450' and be proud of their 6-digit number or admit to themselves that they're just not very good at disc golf.

It's an "interesting" question by the OP but IMO has no shot of ever happening...for the following reason. I'm guessing there is less than zero chance the PDGA would EVER allow ANYONE to EVER have #001 if that person wasn't THE Ed Headrick. And if not #001, how about #002? Doubt they'll allow Vic's number to go...etc. Where do you draw the line?

It's an "interesting" question by the OP but IMO has no shot of ever happening...for the following reason. I'm guessing there is less than zero chance the PDGA would EVER allow ANYONE to EVER have #001 if that person wasn't THE Ed Headrick. And if not #001, how about #002? Doubt they'll allow Vic's number to go...etc. Where do you draw the line?

Hundreds of people have the man's ashes, why would anyone care about his # being passed down? And that would also be impossible because he is unable to consent to that transfer.

If you doubt me, ask them. I stand by my "there's less than zero chance...".

I think even more than that, the sport is in it's infancy enough that the PDGA wants their numbers boosted as much as possible. Reusing numbers to give the impression that there's even less disc golfers than there actually are doesn't really "grow the sport" does it?

I'm curious how widespread it is to care about having a low PDGA number. Is this something that only the older guys are proud of or is it pretty widespread in disc golf? I don't care personally, but I'm a recent convert. I'd rather have a cool number like 123456 or 134000 or whatever. Maybe I'll have to wait for 169420.

I think even more than that, the sport is in it's infancy...

PDGA was started in 1976 and people were out playing for years before that. Not sure I'd consider something that's been going on for roughly 45-50 years to be in it's infancy.

PDGA was started in 1976 and people were out playing for years before that. Not sure I'd consider something that's been going on for roughly 45-50 years to be in it's infancy.

Maybe a poor choice of words, but you know what I mean....basketball was created back in the 1890s and 450 million people play it. You can't find someone who doesn't know what it is. When you tell most people you play disc golf, they say "Is that with the frisbees?" and if you're lucky, "ooooh, I've seen those baskets before!" I've never met someone in my life who was just putting 2+2 together about what a basketball goal was.

When you tell most people you play disc golf, they say "Is that with the frisbees?" and if you're lucky, "ooooh, I've seen those baskets before!"

20 years ago or more you always had to explain what it was. Today is amazing compared to the first 10 years I played in that regard. It's really exploded, especially in the last decade or so.

I see you're from Indiana. I grew up in Goshen. When I went to Ball State in 1991 the nearest course was an hour away, and even then I didn't know about it anyway. I didn't have a car, so I took my Aviar, Roc, Stingray and 165 Wham-O to the quad and threw at trees and tried to make a certain sidewalk from the terrace in front of the art building that I could probably surpass with a putter standstill now. In four years there I saw one other group of guys playing one time. That was it. This is 14 years before the advent of YouTube. I saw the internet for the first time there. It was monochromatic text only, and you essentially had to be connected through a university.

Not only did hardly anybody else know about the sport, but I barely did myself. Where was I going to find out more about it in a place with no course and essentially no internet like we have today? My wife got into grad school at Michigan State and that's where I encountered the CCR and J-Bird and a bunch of people who knew what they were doing. I also saw the PDGA's website for the first time about then too with a course directory.

I'm not even 50 years old. So yeah, the sport is in its younger stages still for sure.