• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legacy PDGA #

Okay, I know we're drifting off-topic, but I love it. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. :thmbup:

My favorites I've made up are "Afternoon Delight" --> "Sidewinder in flight, afternoon delight" and Trace Adkins' "Just Fishin'" --> "He thinks we're just discin' . . . "

Maybe a new thread needs to happen, but my favorite song lyric my buddies and I have changed is "My *disc* is so clean, it would probably go good with your broccoli and cheese."- I'll let you google the song on your own.

Back On-topic: I like the OP's idea.

Nope, it ain't broken, and I ain't trying to fix anything, just add even more richness to the traditions :thmbup:

Just so I can understand your position, do you feel your particular "badge" would be diminished by other people's legacy numbers, or do you feel that your "badge" would be diminished by someone using your specific number after you are done with it?

I just feel that, if you want the honor of wearing a low number "badge" you should have to earn it. I joined and supported the PDGA for a decade or better, before ever playing a sanctioned event. Does not seem fair that some "johnny come lately" should look be shown at an event, as having a lower number than the old geezer playing MA60, who has paid into the PDGA for decades.

I just feel that, if you want the honor of wearing a low number "badge" you should have to earn it. I joined and supported the PDGA for a decade or better, before ever playing a sanctioned event. Does not seem fair that some "johnny come lately" should look be shown at an event, as having a lower number than the old geezer playing MA60, who has paid into the PDGA for decades.

No one will think the 20 something year old really got #234 on his own. Maybe the MA60 would know the original owner of the number and love playing with their offspring.

I think most fans wouldn't care if Paul's # was 1 or 1000000. So if the PDGA allows this to happen, I see nothing wrong with it. But I'm guessing the PDGA wants those those membership numbers incrementing.

What would everyone think about allowing family members take on a PDGA number from them?

Why? What is the intrinsic value?
What "problem" does this solve?
What problem(s) could this create?

I think the reason this is not a current practice is because so many age-protected divisions are available, so one would theoretically never retire.

I think there absolutely would be a a side/black market for the lower PDGA numbers. The same way people want 11x TBs, *DS Destroyers, etc.

I agree with others, the numbers should be non-transferable.

I doubt the PDGA would be on board with this. It would make showing growth of membership harder to advertisers and/or park boards people are trying to convince to put in a tourney quality course.

If we tagged the number with a prefix everyone would know they are a "johnny come lately" or more specifically "not nearly as old as ru4por". So when you see PDGA # L2, you would look up who the second PDGA member ever is and see it is Victor Malafronte, someone you probably never heard of if you are under the age of 50. And then you would learn about what an amazing pioneer Victor was, and you would know that the player with the L2 tag was his grandson and was carrying on his legacy as a current player. Doesn't that situation warm your heart a little?

To make it a more commonplace situation, you would have PDGA # L23456, a respectable but by no means awe inspiring number. You look up that player after he wins a local tournament and see that he took on his beloved Dad's number, and maybe that player can have a little memorial blurb on his PDGA profile honoring his late dad, and you can see how the Dad passed the disc golf tradition down to his son and it lives on. Doesn't that make you a little misty eyed?

Or what about in 50 years, and you see that the family PDGA number which started with Grandpa, passed to his son, and now the daughter is able to rep both her dad and grandpa on her own disc golf journey. Anything??

Why? What is the intrinsic value?
What "problem" does this solve?
What problem(s) could this create?

I think the reason this is not a current practice is because so many age-protected divisions are available, so one would theoretically never retire.

I think there absolutely would be a a side/black market for the lower PDGA numbers. The same way people want 11x TBs, *DS Destroyers, etc.

I agree with others, the numbers should be non-transferable.

The intrinsic value is the ability to create a legacy in disc golf. Your number lives on instead of rotting on a database. Hell you can't even see the past disc golf history of the old timers because they aren't renewed!! That is a shame in and of itself. On the other side the value is being able to honor those that got you into the sport by wearing their number. How many here requested a specific football jersey because it was Dad's number?

It doesn't solve a "problem", why should everything solve a problem? It is a way people can gain more enjoyment of disc golf and a way for the PDGA to generate extra free revenue.

As for the problems it could cause, really the only problem would be the black market. I assume that there would be very little interest in an "L" number you have no attachment to. But I could be wrong. I think this problem can be planned around with some considerations.

As for your age protected divisions comment, that is really a nonfactor. You still playing? Don't pass down your number!!

The intrinsic value is the ability to create a legacy in disc golf. Your number lives on instead of rotting on a database. Hell you can't even see the past disc golf history of the old timers because they aren't renewed!! That is a shame in and of itself. On the other side the value is being able to honor those that got you into the sport by wearing their number. How many here requested a specific football jersey because it was Dad's number?

It doesn't solve a "problem", why should everything solve a problem? It is a way people can gain more enjoyment of disc golf and a way for the PDGA to generate extra free revenue.

As for the problems it could cause, really the only problem would be the black market. I assume that there would be very little interest in an "L" number you have no attachment to. But I could be wrong. I think this problem can be planned around with some considerations.

As for your age protected divisions comment, that is really a nonfactor. You still playing? Don't pass down your number!!

I think you can create legacy without passing numbers down. I would be more interested if my son could have my number + 100,000 (if that's where we are numerically). So, if I were 11,111, my son could be 111,111 or 211,111 (depending on when/if he joins).

I am also not a fan of the lack of information for non-current PDGA members. But, I think round and rating history is considered a member benefit.

In my opinion practical solutions solve problems. Extraneous initiatives create more problems than they solve.

I absolutely think the fanbois would buy lower numbers to show off, or trade for their favorite number, etc.

I like the luck of the draw and speed to market (so to speak). I also like to be able to look at the guys on my card and know they're initiated if they have a number under ~50k, so I don't have to explain the nuances to the 120k+ boys...

I think you can create legacy without passing numbers down. I would be more interested if my son could have my number + 100,000 (if that's where we are numerically). So, if I were 11,111, my son could be 111,111 or 211,111 (depending on when/if he joins).

I am also not a fan of the lack of information for non-current PDGA members. But, I think round and rating history is considered a member benefit.

In my opinion practical solutions solve problems. Extraneous initiatives create more problems than they solve.

I absolutely think the fanbois would buy lower numbers to show off, or trade for their favorite number, etc.

I like the luck of the draw and speed to market (so to speak). I also like to be able to look at the guys on my card and know they're initiated if they have a number under ~50k, so I don't have to explain the nuances to the 120k+ boys...

I would be fine with a numerical prefix, but we can't use your solution for reasons that should be very obvious. The numerical prefix would need to be a 0.

As for you speed to market thing, how ridiculous. That may have made sense 20 years ago when people were hemming and hawing about whether the PDGA would be around in the future, but at this point come on, your speed to market is speed at being born. Which is a ludicrous thing to be proud of. We know you are old, you look old dude.

As for your last comment, my system makes if infinitely easier to spot the new players, because anyone with a legacy prefix is automatically new. Now in 50 years that won't be true, but in 50 years you won't be able to casually glance at a PDGA number and determine seniority very easily anyways.

Maybe we could just charge extra and allow for vanity PDGA Identification? ru4por? Maybe we could just allow for our names to become our PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assigned self designed symbols as PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assign colors and combination of colors for PDGA identification? Maybe we should start putting a micro chip into golfers for PDGA identification? Maybe we could assign songs for PDGA identification? It could be our permanent tee off song.

All good ideas, as well.....OK, maybe not so good. Changing a system that is working well, for many different reason, seems to make it more complicated and adding a lot of work.

Maybe we could just charge extra and allow for vanity PDGA Identification? ru4por? Maybe we could just allow for our names to become our PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assigned self designed symbols as PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assign colors and combination of colors for PDGA identification? Maybe we should start putting a micro chip into golfers for PDGA identification? Maybe we could assign songs for PDGA identification? It could be our permanent tee off song.

All good ideas, as well.....OK, maybe not so good. Changing a system that is working well, for many different reason, seems to make it more complicated and adding a lot of work.

Quite honestly it is insane that the PDGA doesn't offer the opportunity to customize your player page. Why in the world are they passing up free money?

Do you understand that your argument basically amounts to get off my lawn?

I would be fine with a numerical prefix, but we can't use your solution for reasons that should be very obvious. The numerical prefix would need to be a 0.

As for you speed to market thing, how ridiculous. That may have made sense 20 years ago when people were hemming and hawing about whether the PDGA would be around in the future, but at this point come on, your speed to market is speed at being born. Which is a ludicrous thing to be proud of. We know you are old, you look old dude.

As for your last comment, my system makes if infinitely easier to spot the new players, because anyone with a legacy prefix is automatically new. Now in 50 years that won't be true, but in 50 years you won't be able to casually glance at a PDGA number and determine seniority very easily anyways.

Ok, I guess I just don't get it. It seems unnecessary to give people the ability to edit which should be standardized (IMO).
The speed to market is like a badge of honor, I've been playing since the 30k PDGA numbers. It is still a small enough sport that it takes some people decades to discover. I actually have an acquaintance who was complaining the other day because he didn't join the PDGA when he first learned of DG, as a result his PDGA number is 114XXX or something. I'm telling you, teh new players that lack street cred will do almost anything to buy that cred...

Quite honestly it is insane that the PDGA doesn't offer the opportunity to customize your player page. Why in the world are they passing up free money?

There is something efficient to be said about the re-standardization of editable content. When MySpace gave people freedom to "design" their pages, we learned that not everyone has a sense of design, or even a sense of what colors match and which ones contrast... So, standardization can be good in some cases.

"I didn't leave you any money but you get my PDGA number in the low 30 thousands."

Forget the inheritance, JR knocked off his old man for his 3-digit PDGA number

I don't get the fascination of a PDGA #. Really, who cares? Every sport has numbers assigned for their membership, and even a PDGA # only shows when you signed up, not how long you have been playing, etc. It has no reflection on playing skill, personality, etc. I have no more respect for a player with a low #than a player with a newly issued #. It's all about who you are on the course not your #. Quit being posers.

Do you understand that your argument basically amounts to get off my lawn?

Yes, but I paid for and maintain that lawn. You hipsters want to have a nice lawn party, go grow your own. :mad::mad:......:p