• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legacy PDGA #

SonicGuy

Banned
What would everyone think about allowing family members take on a PDGA number from them?

I don't know of any other sport that has something like PDGA numbers where it is a point of pride. Kind of a cool thing we (may) have to ourselves. At this point some of the lower numbers are occupied by folks that are nearing their twilight and at best may not be playing disc golf much longer.

What if we allowed a moderate donation to the PDGA for the number to be passed on? The player profile could list the original holder, and many years down the road you could have a really cool lineage of disc golfers going back through generations. The player profile could list the wins continuously, because only one person is using the number in a given stretch after the original holder "retires".

Obviously we would need some sort of controls to prevent a PDGA # side market, but maybe we wouldn't?? What does everyone think?

If it is strictly family members yes it could work but they have to be immediate family, otherwise it could get ugly with a family that has more then relative who plays say uncles, aunts, and cousins in Tournaments and wants that PDGA number. Otherwise it would be odd to see masses of players eyeing for a low number or number like 6969.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. I think that would actually be pretty cool. I agree with you for once :D

Open up the market and sell off #s at a big price. New numbers are free, if they're going to pay for the database development work and grow the sport then charge a significant price for this vanity project.

First thing that occurs to me on reading your suggestion is the assignment of ham radio call signs. Upon death I think the FCC holds them for a while for close family members to claim. They also allow call sign holders to transfer to a club station to hold "in memorium."

Ham radio is different though because the default is for call signs to get recycled, unlike the PDGA.

Recycling PDGA numbers is some tougher because of the stats that go along with it -- who would come up when you enter a number?

FWIW, when I registered my son & I we got consecutive numbers -- I got him the lower number since I thought he would get a kick out of having a lower number than his old man. So he would refuse my number. :)

First thing that occurs to me on reading your suggestion is the assignment of ham radio call signs. Upon death I think the FCC holds them for a while for close family members to claim. They also allow call sign holders to transfer to a club station to hold "in memorium."

Ham radio is different though because the default is for call signs to get recycled, unlike the PDGA.

Recycling PDGA numbers is some tougher because of the stats that go along with it -- who would come up when you enter a number?

FWIW, when I registered my son & I we got consecutive numbers -- I got him the lower number since I thought he would get a kick out of having a lower number than his old man. So he would refuse my number. :)

Nice. thrembo 10285. mrs thrembo 10284.

I LOVE our PDGA numbers! When I'm cruising down a rural road, I always look (first for oncoming traffic, then potential Disc Golf holes in the terrain going by, then...) for mailbox addresses with my PDGA number (14425) and my friends' numbers too.

"I got my first Stingray from #315" is the first lyric from a bastardized version of "Summer of '69" that I'm turning into "Summer of '89." True story! He's the designer of the first basket course I played (Oxbow Park) in 1989.

I seem to remember hearing that Ron Russell requested #9999 in advance. I wonder if I could do that for my 10-year-old son, just adding a "5" to my 14425 to make it #144255? Or would that be cheesy and he should just get his own chronologically correct organic PDGA number?

So are you saying if my little brother where to trip and fall down a very large hill, wink wink, that I could move up 35,000 spots?

Hmmm decisions decisions. :)

Let just say he luck he doesn't have a 4 digit. hehe

What would everyone think about allowing family members take on a PDGA number from them?

I don't know of any other sport that has something like PDGA numbers where it is a point of pride. Kind of a cool thing we (may) have to ourselves. At this point some of the lower numbers are occupied by folks that are nearing their twilight and at best may not be playing disc golf much longer.

What if we allowed a moderate donation to the PDGA for the number to be passed on? The player profile could list the original holder, and many years down the road you could have a really cool lineage of disc golfers going back through generations. The player profile could list the wins continuously, because only one person is using the number in a given stretch after the original holder "retires".

Obviously we would need some sort of controls to prevent a PDGA # side market, but maybe we wouldn't?? What does everyone think?

I think this is a pretty great idea. Shouldn't be difficult to add Start/End Dates, Active/Inactive Flags in the database and retain historical and current data.
I doubt anyone will want mine, but I can see the appeal.

I've been paying PDGA dues on and off for almost 35 years now. It's a small insignificant thing, but I want my number #2432 as part of whatever legacy I do leave behind.

"I got my first Stingray from #315" is the first lyric from a bastardized version of "Summer of '69" that I'm turning into "Summer of '89." True story! He's the designer of the first basket course I played (Oxbow Park) in 1989.

Okay, I know we're drifting off-topic, but I love it. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. :thmbup:

My favorites I've made up are "Afternoon Delight" --> "Sidewinder in flight, afternoon delight" and Trace Adkins' "Just Fishin'" --> "He thinks we're just discin' . . . "

If this is just for family members and something that's not required but offered I see nothing wrong with the PDGA having this as an option.

I hope that wasn't to cranky for the special flowers on these forums. ;)

Bad idea IMHO

As a newcomer, I have a six digit number so this doesn't affect me personally. The instant you allow transfers of numbers you essentially devalue them about 99%. What's neat about a low number is that it signifies someone who got on the train early and helped grow the sport. If instead it might just signify that someone's ancestor was an early player, or worse that someone paid extra money, then a low number will become a giant yawn.

My two cents. :popcorn:

I think a key to this would be some sort of declaration by the actual PDGA member that they wish their number to be assignable. You could have a very simple form granting your consent and listing eligible assignees. Attach it to your will, and if you die before passing it on your heir can get that as a part of their inheritance and submit to the PDGA. If the member is alive and well it would be a simple matter to submit that attestation. Some of you have said you don't want anyone to get your number, and I think that is totally fine and easily protected. :thmbup:

I would hope we could open this to non-familial relations as well. How many people have an "uncle" that isn't blood relative? I can think of a number of situations where a non-family member would want to pass their #. It could even be a cool thing like we have in BJJ with black belt lineage. If you had a particular mentee in the sport you could hand down your lineage to him/her.

As for the issues about a market for #'s, I think it would be appropriate to put a prefix on them. Maybe just have it go "L12345". I can't imagine people would be all that hot to purchase a number if it was clearly marked as a legacy number.

I have paid for and treasure my PDGA#. It is a badge, telling other players that I have been supporting the PDGA and the game for a long time. Giving it to someone would feel like a participation trophy. Nope, I am going with "it ain't broken".

Nope, it ain't broken, and I ain't trying to fix anything, just add even more richness to the traditions :thmbup:

Just so I can understand your position, do you feel your particular "badge" would be diminished by other people's legacy numbers, or do you feel that your "badge" would be diminished by someone using your specific number after you are done with it?