• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

Bump

What are you other Rival throwers bagging? Are you going all Rivals or feel the need for a Patriot?

Eventually i want to go all Rivals, but i don't have a rival beat in enough to turnover easy like some of my patriots.

Rivals are Legend, heavy Pinnacle, lighter Pinnacle. I have an Icon Patriot for straighter lines and slower hyzerflips as even the lighter Rival is pretty much dead straight. And a lightweight gummy Pinnacle Patriot for stupid flippy stuff and quick turning rollers.

I'm bagging two legends. One gun metal that throws like a beat in firebird, and the other is a purple which flies a lot like a eagle.

Two pinns. one heavy but it is very straight when thrown hard, and the other is light (167) that i can throw easy on any angle and it will just hold it.

the last on that i carry is a stiff yellow icon and that has a nice S flight to it which is great for the woods.

personally i will always bag a patriot because i do not want to beat a rival into a turn over disc, then lose it, and then be SOL.

1 purple Legend is my workhorse. Has a little turn, but still fades.
1 salmon Pinnacle Kaufinator that is very flat and stiff. Nice and OS. Holds up to a headwind nicely.
1 red Icon grinder (167g). Super gummy and flies like a Patriot. I have a backup that is also a gummy Icon that is also Patriot-esque.
<FUTURE> 1 or 2 Protege Rivals. Because Rivals.

Purple Legend rivals are where its at. I've had the same one for almost a year now. Flies nearly the same after lots of use. Have a few backups, not sure I'll ever touch them...

I do throw the Patriot more though. Check out the newer 174-175g Pink Icons. Its the best run of stable Patriots I've thrown and felt. Probably the closest thing to an QJLS I have found. Pairs perfectly with a Rival and flippy Patriot.

I'm trying all Rivals.

I have beat up my first yellow, puddle top Pinn in pretty good. Now I use it for hyzer-flips and slow turnovers from flat. Fantastic for tunnel shots in the woods. I've got a backup that I need to start beating, but I rarely throw the one in the bag on risky shots.

Second is my aqua Pinn that's seasoned. Line shaper/ workhorse. Tons of glide and forward fade. Its what I throw when I'm not sure what to throw.

New are my Legends. First thing I noticed is the finish. These don't seem to have as much forward fade. My purple is sweet and should be where my aqua Pinn is after a good working in. Silver has become my go to for FH and light wind. I really want a gunmetal to try.

Throw in a XXX and everything is covered for me under 350'

Bump

What are you other Rival throwers bagging? Are you going all Rivals or feel the need for a Patriot?

If you throw fairways over 300', you'll probably need an overstable disc to complement your rival.

I bag a silver legend rival that I pair with a silver legend patriot (replacing my fresh QJ slot) for stable lines depending on the wind. They sit next to each other in my bag where I have two ce qjls's for understable and turnover lines and a tourney hatchet for rollers. On the overstable side of my rival I'll bag some combination of eagles from either a couple ce eagles, a fresher 11x eagle for bigger wind or fade, and or a circle stamp eagle for shorter than firebird shots. I recently started bagging an H2 for never gonna flip/need a spike when my lightly seasoned 11x firebird might not hold enough hyzer.

Last edited:
Why the H2 over H1 on the Firebird replacement? I'm liking the H1 (paired with a CFR PD), but it's insanely overstable and pure utility. Haven't thrown the H2.

Currently in the bag i have ....

Gunmetal Legend : The beeff.. mostly just windy day rival or if it needs that hard fade
Domey, Pearly, Pinnacle : beefy but not like the Legend
Flat, White, Pinnacle : workhrose .. anything from slight hyzers to flex shots ..

A new shop in town opened so I had a chance to feel up a bunch of production run Rivals. I have plenty of wings, blue sparkle and fr pink icon backups but I didn't have a backup to the stable purple production pinnacle. The green on the rack was flat and tasty looking so I pulled them all off and compared the PLH. Green was the highest of the small stack; slightly higher than white which had a touch more dome relative to green. It's also flatter than my wings rivals and quite beefy.

9C2ezhn.jpg

Today, while at my local pro shop, I found a used(new) 175g unmarked pinnacle charcoal swirl Rival in the used bin. To put it lightly, I am speechless for how great of a driver the Rival is. It is a workhorse fairway driver and immediately sat in the bag and will be staying. The proshop also has some first runs there I might look into buying too.

Well I have to say that I really like having the SB Rival in the bag. It pairs really well with my FR Pinnacle Rival. This past Saturday was the first real time throwing it in the bag. I can snap that SB Rival nice and flat and it just glides dead nuts straight, breaks a little right and then just keeps pushing forward as it fades back to where I was aiming. This disc is a beast. I swear those SB Rivals fly so close to what my Teebirds used to fly like but better.

The SB i have been using since they released is broken in a bit now and i use it for long backhand anny lines that hold forever and pan to flat with a long forward finish, they are tipping over into fresh patriot territory and will probably continue to break it in and replace the straight to slightly US slot that my pinnacle patriot holds. Glad i picked up a big stack of these at release i should be good for 5 years at least :D

Would love to have all rivals in stages of wear as my entire fairway lineup

yeah sadly i have been so broke the last year i missed out on all the fun releases.. sb and glo rivals, protege ghosties, etc. but i swear im going to get a sb rival one of these days.. I love my current ones though ..i bag :

flat, stiff white pinnacle - straight
domey, pearly, flexy pinnacle - oh so predictable .. can crank on it and always has that nice left finish
gunmetal legend - straight uber beef lol

Just got my first pair of Rivals. My first legacy disc purchases.I usually stick with dga/discraft but they don't have a fairway driver that fits my needs. Narrowed it down to rival and escape and decided to go with legacy. I bought a 174g pinnacle rival (salmon colored/flat) and a 174g icon rival (white/ little higher shoulder, not much dome). Been throwing these the last few days in pretty heavy wind. I really like the pinnacle rival. Has less of a lip for a smoother release and has a nice lazy swooping flight that can stand up pretty well to the wind. The icon rival I'm still trying to figure out. It has a beefier lip because of the higher shoulder and I'm having trouble getting a clean release. It also has high speed turn to it that the pinnacle plastic fights off. Next time out I will try to forehand the icon and try a modified fan grip and see how the disc reacts. I may just have to buy another pinnacle , seems to be the disc I have been missing.

Latest posts