• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

Im talking new SB's the lighter blue ones that are around 173g, they start out ultra straight with forward fade, very true to the 0 turn 2 fade Legacy rates them at and they break in extremely nicely considering the plastic is very durable on these.

Yeah I carry one in the bag and love it. So much so I have a completed the entire set of stamps. Probably my favorite collections. 17 in total.

I currently carry the Discmania FD, Felon, XXX, and PD as my fairway drivers. I carry a 2nd run FD which is very straight and HSS with a touch of fade at the end. A 3rd run CFD, which is very straight and holds any line it gets put on. Not much turn or fade. I also have a GFD which has some turn and will flip to flat but not much fade, leopard like really. Maybe not quite a -2 turn though.

I am looking for a fairway which is more workable. Something which has a reliable good turn between -1 and -2 yet still fades back. Maybe a 2-3 on the fade. I would like to get a good S flight when thrown flat and when thrown with hyzer, a flip to flat straight with maybe some drift and a fade at the end.

Is the rival the disc I am looking for? For reference I throw fairways in the 325-350 range. The FD can get out further than that but I don't care to do it.

I currently carry the Discmania FD, Felon, XXX, and PD as my fairway drivers. I carry a 2nd run FD which is very straight and HSS with a touch of fade at the end. A 3rd run CFD, which is very straight and holds any line it gets put on. Not much turn or fade. I also have a GFD which has some turn and will flip to flat but not much fade, leopard like really. Maybe not quite a -2 turn though.

I am looking for a fairway which is more workable. Something which has a reliable good turn between -1 and -2 yet still fades back. Maybe a 2-3 on the fade. I would like to get a good S flight when thrown flat and when thrown with hyzer, a flip to flat straight with maybe some drift and a fade at the end.

Is the rival the disc I am looking for? For reference I throw fairways in the 325-350 range. The FD can get out further than that but I don't care to do it.

You just described an Eagle, not a Rival.

the rival will start out very straight, as in it will not hyzer flip to flat, it will hold the line you put it on and then fade.

Although, after a rival beats in a little they start to develop a hyzer flip that flips to flat and rides out for a while with fade at the end, in fact this is exactly how i like my rivals too. I have a white icon that doe this perfectly but i think mostly any color/plastic would work fine rivals are mostly consistent.

Like the guy above said something like a Star Eagle would have a little hyzer flip and harder fade at the end though than a rival would, that's the biggest difference the rival has a more forward penetration during the fade than an Eagle would. And be careful, some Eagles are pretty overstable and don't have any turn.

Special blend rival vs. silver legend rival. How are the flights compared in those two, and how are the special blends compared to other rivals in general? Thanks?

Special blend rival vs. silver legend rival. How are the flights compared in those two, and how are the special blends compared to other rivals in general? Thanks?

Special blend rival is no turn and reliable fade out of the box and they hold that flight for quite a while, i will say that my special blend (before i lost it at Ledgestone Open) broken in was my favorite hyzer flip fairway driver BY FAR. Hyzer flip to flat and hold straight forever with a forward fade toward the end, i have a stack of backups for the SB rival :)

silver legend generally has a little more stability to them than icon or pinnacle and like to fade a little earlier but i have always gotten my icon or pinnacle rivals farther so i didn't bag any of my silver legend rivals.

I feel like everyone likes the SB rival because it flies exactly the way a rival is supposed to and they break in AMAZINGLY for some reason.. they get that super straight flight over time and then they start to get a slow turn that holds with a little anny on the release and makes them extremely versatile.

in my opinion the rival in any plastic is a good choice, i have noticed certain pinnacles start out with just a touch of turn, and pinnacles that are exactly like SB rivals, and a blue pinnacle that has a touch more fade. i have rivals in every plastic that fly the same.

Pinnacle: in general i have found some pinnacles that start with a touch of turn.
Icon: these fly the farthest for me and are in the middle as far as stability.
Legend: most legends are a little more overstable, or maybe its just that they have a touch less glide.
Special Blend: super straight with a reliable fade, exactly how a rival is supposed to fly.

I bag a SB, 2 Icon and pinnacle.

Special blend rival is no turn and reliable fade out of the box and they hold that flight for quite a while, i will say that my special blend (before i lost it at Ledgestone Open) broken in was my favorite hyzer flip fairway driver BY FAR. Hyzer flip to flat and hold straight forever with a forward fade toward the end, i have a stack of backups for the SB rival :)

silver legend generally has a little more stability to them than icon or pinnacle and like to fade a little earlier but i have always gotten my icon or pinnacle rivals farther so i didn't bag any of my silver legend rivals.

I feel like everyone likes the SB rival because it flies exactly the way a rival is supposed to and they break in AMAZINGLY for some reason.. they get that super straight flight over time and then they start to get a slow turn that holds with a little anny on the release and makes them extremely versatile.

in my opinion the rival in any plastic is a good choice, i have noticed certain pinnacles start out with just a touch of turn, and pinnacles that are exactly like SB rivals, and a blue pinnacle that has a touch more fade. i have rivals in every plastic that fly the same.

Pinnacle: in general i have found some pinnacles that start with a touch of turn.
Icon: these fly the farthest for me and are in the middle as far as stability.
Legend: most legends are a little more overstable, or maybe its just that they have a touch less glide.
Special Blend: super straight with a reliable fade, exactly how a rival is supposed to fly.

I bag a SB, 2 Icon and pinnacle.

I like your style. I found that the 1st run SBs had some turn out of the box (maybe because they were all lighter) and the 2nd runs to fly how you described - also the first run silver sparkles. Are you bagging 1st or 2nds?

Definitely have to agree on the Legends having less glide. They develop turn before losing fade, making them good shot shapers.

All of my Pinnacles are my most stable Rivals - I only have pink, salmon, and blue though.

Icons are possibly my favorite, especially the light gummy ones. I have a red 167g double stamped that I have gotten out to almost 400'. They remind me of the light weight purple and mint Wings Rivals I used to throw. Thrown flat, they have turn and enough fade to rely on, but they turn can be negated easily with a hyzer release, which is where these shine. With a little beating, they seem to lose the fade without developing more turn - much like a DX Teebird.

I currently bag a 175g salmon Pinnacle Kaufinator (considerably OS; good for FH shots), a 174g partially wiped and dyed OG silver sparkle (stable; straight with reasonable fade), and a 167g red Icon Grinder (slightly US; hyzer flips, annys, straight no fade).

I like Rivals.

I managed to acquire an old and new SB rival, and am going to get them out to the field next week :D

The legend and gummy pink pinnacle I have are really nice, these are finding a spot in the bag and I've been throwing them a lot since I got them.

My silver legend just goes for miles. In years past, on open shots I'd throw a hyzer with my eagle but after this season I've learned to turn it down a bit and rip it hard up to 10% longer. It's got plenty of HSS and has been in a similar stage of wear for most of the year. Who needs a teebird when rivals hit the same lines and go further?

Well I tried a Rival for the first time and was very impressed. I'm a Teebird thrower, love them and have no reason to change really, but this thing flew so well I am thinking of getting one when I lose one of my Teebirds. I currently throw a low PLH star TB for straight shots with minimal fade 320-375', and a beefy champ Teebird for straight shots with fade and sweep hyzers 300-340'.

The thing that worries me about Rivals is all of the talk about plastics vs. colors and stability...is it really that bad or that much worse than Innova? I mean my Teebirds are so different I can use one for anhyzers and the other for forehands into a wind...

Anyways, I was very impressed with the Rival, I think it was an Icon and it was a pearly white plastic. It flew the same distance as a worked in Star or Gstar Teebird but with more HSS (it can correct a slight yanked release), but still had the distance/glide, and only had a sweeping fade rather than glideless champ Teebird fade. However I wouldn't throw overstable/hyzer type shots with it. Is this typical of Rivals, or is this a lucky one, or do you have to always look for the same colors, etc.? I ask because I've heard that they are a "more stable" Teebird but it was not near the stability of the beefy champs that are out there.

I have been throwing rivals a bunch and they have pushed out my beat to snot firebirds in the stable fairway driver slot. I still keep a firebird for thumbers but now Rivals are becoming my main thumber disc. The are going as far as my firebirds! I love this mold.

Well I tried a Rival for the first time and was very impressed. I'm a Teebird thrower, love them and have no reason to change really, but this thing flew so well I am thinking of getting one when I lose one of my Teebirds. I currently throw a low PLH star TB for straight shots with minimal fade 320-375', and a beefy champ Teebird for straight shots with fade and sweep hyzers 300-340'.

The thing that worries me about Rivals is all of the talk about plastics vs. colors and stability...is it really that bad or that much worse than Innova? I mean my Teebirds are so different I can use one for anhyzers and the other for forehands into a wind...

Anyways, I was very impressed with the Rival, I think it was an Icon and it was a pearly white plastic. It flew the same distance as a worked in Star or Gstar Teebird but with more HSS (it can correct a slight yanked release), but still had the distance/glide, and only had a sweeping fade rather than glideless champ Teebird fade. However I wouldn't throw overstable/hyzer type shots with it. Is this typical of Rivals, or is this a lucky one, or do you have to always look for the same colors, etc.? I ask because I've heard that they are a "more stable" Teebird but it was not near the stability of the beefy champs that are out there.

Keep buying icon (not the pearly icon that's actually pinnacle stamped as icon) and you'll be fine.

Way more consistent than pinnacle rivals. Only a few freak rivals are more overstable than the jl champ tb that were fairly overstable.

I must have been mistaken about the plastic then, it was definitely pearly so likely pinnacle...I'll look at the label closely next time I play with the guy who has it. I just thought pinnacle was more OS and this disc was just a "good stable Teebird" type of disc, of course it's hard to know when just comparing a few throws to reading random peoples' reviews. Either way good to know icons are good, thanks.

I must have been mistaken about the plastic then, it was definitely pearly so likely pinnacle...I'll look at the label closely next time I play with the guy who has it. I just thought pinnacle was more OS and this disc was just a "good stable Teebird" type of disc, of course it's hard to know when just comparing a few throws to reading random peoples' reviews. Either way good to know icons are good, thanks.

I love the Rival, and it replaced the Teebird for me. I have only thrown 3 or 4 of my many. The Legend one I throw, even bought slightly used, is more stable than the Pinnacles I have thrown. Although, I do have some Pinnacles with very high PLH compared even to the Legend. I have yet to throw those, but I would guess that they are much more stable than the rest. One is darker pink 174, one white 167. So weight does not have much to do with it. As soon as I get some duplicate colors, I will compare them, but can't speak to that yet.

Long story short, Pinnacle seems to not be terribly consistent, except for being consistently awesome. Favorite plastic in disc golf.

Aqua Pinnacles are consistently stable/slightly OS. Nothing ridiculous. If you do stick to Icon, the yellows are very OS and are highly sought after because of this.

My personal favorites are purple Legends. Great dependable, stable fairways with great glide. They hold the sweet spot a long time also.

More recently, pink Legend became available and the 2 that I have are both noticeably more OS than purp Legend.

If you're not familiar, Legend is similar in look and feel to Lat's Gold Line.

My personal favorites are purple Legends. Great dependable, stable fairways with great glide. They hold the sweet spot a long time also.

More recently, pink Legend became available and the 2 that I have are both noticeably more OS than purp Legend.

If you're not familiar, Legend is similar in look and feel to Lat's Gold Line.

I wish it were not so hard to come buy (both in difficulty to actually find and the price being a little higher than I like to pay for a disc that isn't OOP). Knowing that Legend usually starts a bit more stable makes it a good choice. It seems to be really good plastic, but I think I still prefer Pinnacle overall.

I really wish people would post the stability comparison of different colors more. I would, but as I said earlier in the thread, all of mine are different colors. Since I can rarely find Rivals in a store to compare to what I have, my online purchases are a bit blind as far as what the PLH is.

Also, will a Legend with equal PLH and weight to a Pinnacle fly the same or be more overstable? Just the stuff I wonder about.

Anybody have any info on the flight comparisons between the stiff and gummy pinnacle rivals?
I have only ever thrown the stiff pinnacle rivals and just got my hands on a slick peach 172g gummy rival, and a chalky baby blue 167g gummy rival and wanted to see if anyone has noticed any difference in flights from this plastic stand point.

The lighter one may be a little less stable, I know my gummy ones tended to be. I haven't thrown any heavy gummy ones though. I liked them because I could get much more grip, which is why I eventually just had Icon in the bag.

Latest posts