• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake Indiana FIASCO

Bart

Bogey Member
So we arrived for leagues yesterday at LEmon Lake and got a letter handed to us by the on site disc golf store clerk that she thinks prohibits us from playing leagues on the courses we spent 12 years building. We have permission from the parks manager to play and have been running the leagues since winter broke...about 2 months and yearly since 1999. We decided to play anyway and the 20 of us were surprised and amused when the 5 squad cars from 2 different police agencies rolled up on us. The cops had a good laugh and left but what kind of person would do such a thing?

These 2 people basically highjacked LEmon Lake and all the tournaments Brian Cummings established and ran for decades and now they don't want us to even play leagues there?!?

BOYCOTT ALL EVENTS RUN by the LEMON LAKE FLIGHT CENTER and Jay and Deb (JEB) Svitko!

Seems to me like there is a communication issue here ....

I know Jay and Deb can be a little quirky at times, but you don't need to trash people online like this. I played in the Chicagoland Armature Champs this weekend and we had 2 cops roll up to the TD and ask to see his permit... These things happen. Need to keep your cool and chill out.

What in the world? Why would disc golf store owners want people to stop playing disc golf? That makes no sense whatsoever....

There's a lot of discussion happening about this on the Indiana disc golf page on FB.
From what I read about 95% of the comments are anti Jay and Deb.

From what they're saying the cops laughed about it then left. After that the league proceeded to play.

Was there a tourney being played there that day already that your group was not aware of?

Was there a tourney being played there that day already that your group was not aware of?

From what I read this was a weekly league that has been going on for a couple months or more. No tournament going on.

We've been running leagues there since 1999. it lapsed this winter until about a month or 2 back when we resumed with the park managers permission. We had 20 players and other than a couple/few casual groups the weather (cold) meant the park was practically deserted.

We are also the club that spent 12ish years building the 4 courses there...

She called the cops under false pretenses...we stood our ground, called her bluff and continued with our league play....

Discussion here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ind...group_comment_reply&notif_id=1462201721595803

How long has this "shop" been there? Is it on Park Property?

This is a bad situation for a beautiful place that has been ongoing for some time. The only thing i know is the names that do not support the pro shop are some of the most respected disc golfers in the state, take that with a grain of salt.

Shop is on park property and i believe they have been there for quite some time now.

WTF...I don't get this one bit. Every time I've dealt with Jay and Deb it has been a pleasant experience be it a tournament or just stopping in to do a little shopping. There's got to be more to this story than that. I'd really like to hear the Svidkos side of the story - not that I am trying to discredit anything posted here I just like to hear both sides first. If you're a parent you'll understand...;)

So for those who didnt click the Facebook link, the real story is that the letter was from the Parks Department and stated that there was a no solicitation/exchanging of money policy at the park. While most of the league players laughed it off because they had written permission from that same parks department, one individual stormed into the shop, threw a tantrum and used abusive language to the owners and in front of some children. That's why the cops were called, not because the club continued league play (as they had permission to do)

So this smacks of one self-entitled golfer being a jerk and causing things to be blown way out of porportion. You know how it is...one bad apple spoils the bunch.

As for the parks department, we had a similar situation here in Colorado Springs. Out club instantly suspended league play on all city courses, and requested a meeting with parks officials. Within three days, the entire situation was handled properly and league play resumed.

There's a reason that my club keeps me away from the Parks department: I'm an ******* with no patience nor and tact. I suggest Red Roc find who the explosive individual in this case was and let him know he was in the wrong. Then request a meet with the parks officials and have a club official make sure all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted to continue league play as has been done for the last 17 years.

Just an outsider perspective.

So for those who didnt click the Facebook link, the real story is that the letter was from the Parks Department and stated that there was a no solicitation/exchanging of money policy at the park. While most of the league players laughed it off because they had written permission from that same parks department, one individual stormed into the shop, threw a tantrum and used abusive language to the owners and in front of some children. That's why the cops were called, not because the club continued league play (as they had permission to do)

So this smacks of one self-entitled golfer being a jerk and causing things to be blown way out of porportion. You know how it is...one bad apple spoils the bunch.

As for the parks department, we had a similar situation here in Colorado Springs. Out club instantly suspended league play on all city courses, and requested a meeting with parks officials. Within three days, the entire situation was handled properly and league play resumed.

There's a reason that my club keeps me away from the Parks department: I'm an ******* with no patience nor and tact. I suggest Red Roc find who the explosive individual in this case was and let him know he was in the wrong. Then request a meet with the parks officials and have a club official make sure all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted to continue league play as has been done for the last 17 years.

Just an outsider perspective.

According to the person who went into the shop (and who also posted in the FB thread) that's not how it went down.

According to the person who went into the shop (and who also posted in the FB thread) that's not how it went down.
This is his post, fwiw.
Bill Thornton I was the one that went into the flight center. I tosssed the paper on the counter and said "still doing the same crap" .Deb snorted with a big smile on her face. My only other statement was "why are you still around disc golf, you just suck the life out of the game." I then walked out. I did not yell, throw anything at Deb and I damn sure didn't threaten her which is what she told the police. I went over to the police when they arrived. The discussion was friendly and polite. After a couple of jokes we parted ways. Before I left the park I spoke with April. She agreed that Deb went overboard. She even said she wasn't coming down when Deb called to say she was calling the police..
The police were fine. The park manager was fine. Sorry we can't say the same for the Flight Center crew.

So yay! A he said she said arguement.

We will never know what really happened unless by some miracle security video or something like that surfaces.

Seems I know just as many people who don't have an issue with the flight center as those who do. I have no idea who to believe anymore lol.

How many of those people who don't have an issue with them are active club members and how many come to the courses, play, and leave?

How many of those people who don't have an issue with them are active club members and how many come to the courses, play, and leave?

Well...I'm not particularly interested in giving away my sources lol but I know exactly zero people in the club that plays there...However I did find it interesting that the one Red Roc club member I have talked to in person away from other club members had some really interesting thoughts on the long lasting bad juju between club and shop and the phrase "plenty of blame to go around on both sides" was used rather emphatically.

Maybe it's time for some hatchet burial before the parks decides its not worth the hassle and pulls all 4 courses? :\

Seriously, how about acting like adults, yeah? Have a club rep schedule a meeting with the park, include the shop owners. Begin the discussion with: "I apologize for any misunderstandings up until this point, I feel it would be beneficial for everyone to start with a clean slate and work this out." To me, this sounds like a misunderstanding on one (or both) parties involved. The one thing I can say for certain is that if this kind of hostility continues, no one wins.

Well...I'm not particularly interested in giving away my sources lol but I know exactly zero people in the club that plays there...However I did find it interesting that the one Red Roc club member I have talked to in person away from other club members had some really interesting thoughts on the long lasting bad juju between club and shop and the phrase "plenty of blame to go around on both sides" was used rather emphatically.

Maybe it's time for some hatchet burial before the parks decides its not worth the hassle and pulls all 4 courses? :\

Seems this is apparent, when "reading between the lines". This is two groups of INDIVIDUALS, neither really representative of the vast majority of disc golfers using LL. I would say both sides are being entitled and selfish...and the only possible people who could end up hurt are ALL golfers. God people are such tools at times. Solve the problem like adults and stop hurting the sport and LL.