• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's get it going for 2019

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE

I don't think I threw a single good shot with a Pipeline in my tournament this weekend. C'est la vie.

Undertakers again back in the bag.

Did I mention that time is a flat circle? That everything we've ever done or will do, we'll repeat over and over?

Challengers in Steadys out. Warm weather leads to significant release consistency issues with a big bead. I was absolutely jamming putts on my new mach shift in "pro mode" from 20-25' using challengers. Missed 4/6 consistently with the steady.

So, I'm back to the same bag lineup I started the season with. This is a new development. Usually I can't help but mess with things. Though the stock run Zeus is looking pretty good right now, it hasn't shown me that it's better than the hurricane.....yet

Last edited:
Just a quick update. Lineup is basically the same but a few new discs in the bag.

Distance drivers
174 PL FLX Hurricane, newish - pretty overstable, long hyzers/headwind drives
170 PL FLX Hurricane, new - bomber right out of the box. slots in as a backup disc right now
174 SP Hurricane, slight wear - very flat, mainly used for long forehand shots
171 SP Hurricane, worn - beat to slightly understable, will flip up or nice shallow S-turn

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator (pearly plastic, old X stamp), new - the beef. slight dome but is overstable AND has glide
171 Z Predator, new - very flat, mainly forehands and FH rollers
174 Z Predator, beat - well beat in but still very straight even when powered up.
174 FR Undertaker, new - fresh in the cycle, very overstable Undertaker
174 FR Undertaker, worn - beat in enough where it flies like a new ESP.
168 Z Undertaker, worn - slightly understable, good for flip ups and long turning shots
172 Z Mantis, worn - very understable, for turning shots that won't fade out
174 ESP Avenger SS, newish - putting this one back in to try for rollers again.

Midranges
178 Swirl Glow ESP Wasp, newish - still a nice overstable midrange
176 JB Wasp, worn - finally wearing in to straight. powered up has a slight right drift before a mild fade.
176 MJ ESP Glow Comet, worn - money straight disc in the woods. finesse turning shots too
17x X Comet, beat - tricky 3 direction hyzer flips, very low power straight shots.

Putters
174 JB Zone, new - when I need a lot of fade or range control on a putter drive
172 Z Zone, newish - almost exclusively used for FH approaches and short FH drives
174 D-Line Steady, worn - approaches and straight to slight turnover approaches
174 Glow MF4 Steady, new - nice stable driving putter
173 D Challenger (x3) - all putting duties

Liking the lineup a lot right now. Might cycle in a new comet. Really prefer throwing the Steady over the Challenger (I like throwing mids/putters with beads), and wearing in a D Line Steady gives me all the options I need. Undertakers, Wasps, and Hurricanes are starting to (finally) wear into nice cycling discs. They are all great compliments to the rest of the bag.

Haven't felt this good about a lineup ever, I think. Made a couple of audibles so far but basically back to the same lineup I had at the start of the season (only exchanging banger gts for steadys)

Trimming/refining the lineup.

Out: Z Mantis, In: D Avenger SS

With a somewhat stable ESP Avenger SS, and adding in D, should have turning shots/rollers covered when slotted next to the beat Z Undertaker.

Out: Steady, In: more Challengers

Giving challengers a full go for putting/throwing duties. After all of these years it's still weird to me to putt and throw with different discs.

Last edited:
Every once in a while I figure out WHY I am attracted to certain types of discs, even if I can't get them to initially work well for me.

Newest lesson is why I figured out the Steady (or less glidey putters) are better putters for me. I've been handicapping the natural athletic motion of my putt using glidey putters. I want something that I can "fling" harder at the basket. When I back off, I can't use my hips or legs as much, and rely on my arm to do the putting. This creates a lot of uncertainty in the motion, and creates a lot more guessing as to the arc I need to get the putt there. With a lower glide putter (ie steady vs challenger) I can get more legs into my putt, and have my arm along for the ride - aim at a spot high on the chains and know I won't sail it past.

*insert "The more you know" here*

Now I need to work on drilling the bad habits I was developing out of my putt and get back to a more free and flowing putt motion.

Now I need to work on drilling the bad habits I was developing out of my putt and get back to a more free and flowing putt motion.

The perfect putting motion is a rare thing. You could spend your whole life searching for it, and it would not be a wasted life.

Pretty sure that's an ancient Chinese proverb.

The perfect putting motion is a rare thing. You could spend your whole life searching for it, and it would not be a wasted life.

Pretty sure that's an ancient Chinese proverb.

I think I've read that somewhere before

Not that I'll throw perfectly I just want to get away from the mechanical motion I was using and try to feel more "free" when I putt.

Apparently what works on the practice greens doesn't necessarily apply to real world situations...who would have guessed?

Again, I feel like I learn tidbits every time I practice putt (and play rounds for that matter). I think it's better to focus on my current putt than try and overhaul technique and 'putt harder' to compensate for a lack of glide in a putter. Challenger fits, Steady is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole - I could make it work but why go through the headache??

Current lineup is a bit condensed since I have to send my Octothorpe back for warranty repairs.

Distance drivers
174 SP Hurricane, slight wear - very flat, mainly used for long forehand shots
171 SP Hurricane, worn - beat to slightly understable, will flip up or nice shallow S-turn

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator (pearly plastic, old X stamp), new - the beef. slight dome but is overstable AND has glide
174 Z Predator, beat - well beat in but still very straight even when powered up.
169 Z Undertaker, new - fresh for straight drives and push hyzers
168 Z Undertaker, worn - slightly understable, good for flip ups and long turning shots
174 ESP Avenger SS, newish - too stable for rollers right now, long turnovers are nice though
159 D Avenger SS, new - off the shelf roller. Easy to put down, and always finishes right

Midranges
176 JB Wasp, worn - finally wearing in to straight. still stable enough for most wind
176 MJ ESP Glow Comet, worn - money straight disc in the woods. finesse turning shots too
178 MJ ESP Glow Comet, new - slightly more stable.

Putters
172 Z Zone, newish - almost exclusively used for FH approaches and short FH drives
172 Ti Challenger, some wear - old Ti barstamp, plenty stable for most drives
172 D Challenger, beat - straight and right turning putter shots
174 D Challenger (x2) - putting only

I think 20 discs is the sweet spot for my bag. 2 more than the Shift can carry comfortably, and 2 less than what I'd consider a minimum load for the Octothorpe. I'd like to add 2 discs to this current lineup. Most likely a slightly more overstable Wasp, and possibly a Drone.

With my loadout being about perfect at 18-20 discs, I think I'm going to get a Carlton by next year and sell my Octothorpe.

Last edited:
I think I've finally convinced myself that having a putting mold and a throwing putter mold is ok. I'm way more comfortable throwing the Steady than a Challenger - and completely the opposite for putting. I cost myself a few strokes last weekend not being comfortable with throwing Challengers. Just going to have to make it work!

I've always leaned to minimizing molds, which made this harder decision than it needed to be. Results speak for themselves though!

Not that I'll throw perfectly I just want to get away from the mechanical motion I was using and try to feel more "free" when I putt.

You'll still need to have the mechanical motion as a ``handrail'' to hold yourself upright and in direction with for cases when you don't feel it. If you feel it, simply ignore the handrail.

I think I've finally convinced myself that having a putting mold and a throwing putter mold is ok. I'm way more comfortable throwing the Steady than a Challenger - and completely the opposite for putting. I cost myself a few strokes last weekend not being comfortable with throwing Challengers. Just going to have to make it work!

I've always leaned to minimizing molds, which made this harder decision than it needed to be. Results speak for themselves though!

I go back and forth with this conundrum pretty often, trying a throwing putter, than adding a throwing judge (since I putt them), rinse wash repeat.

Recently decided it's fine! Now I toss around a Tomb and feel comfortable doing so!

Getting near the end of my season, with only potentially 1 tournament left (if I qualify for it, since it's invitation only) This will be my bag for the rest of the year, and slightly condensed for wintertime golf starting in November. I seem to have lost my Power Forehand off the tee after laying off of it for about a month due to a left oblique strain, which totally sucks. Still doing fine with shorter FH off the tee and approaches.

Distance drivers
174 SP Hurricane, slight wear - very flat, mainly used for long forehand shots, and distance shots in the wind.

Fairway drivers
174 FR Z Undertaker, new - fresh in the cycle, very overstable Undertaker
174 FR Z Undertaker, worn - flies like a standard run, new Z plastic 'taker.
174 ESP Undertaker, newish - works lines, has decent turn and predictable fade.
168 Z Undertaker, worn - slightly understable, good for flip ups and long gentle turning shots
174 ESP Avenger SS, newish - longer, harder right turning shots, rollers
159 D Avenger SS, newish - quick flipping rollers. gets down quick and curls

Midranges
179 CryZtal Drone, new - mini-predator. Great for short spike approaches and forehands
178 Swirl Glow ESP Wasp, newish - still a nice overstable midrange
177 CT JB Wasp, newish - took a chunk out hitting a rock, just very very straight now
176 JB Wasp, worn - I can finally get a little hyzer flip to turn on this one.

Putters
174 Glow MF4 Steady, new - nice slightly overstable driving putter
173 D Challenger (x3) - all putting duties

Probably won't have as an expansive lineup next year. 20 discs is right where I want to be, and the octothorpe is just too much bag for that size loadout. I'll be getting a Carlton in the spring at least, as an upgrade to the Shift I'll be using all winter for a more 'normalized' loadout.

Last edited:
Because I can't leave sleeping dogs lie....back to the 'winter' bag already.

Wasps out for Aftershocks - aftershocks fly like slightly worn Wasps, which is what I needed the whole time. My JB Wasp which is just getting beat in is pretty similar to a new PL aftershock in flight (added bonus that the aftershock is much easier to replace - I have 3 total JB wasps and already am hesitant to start cycling them)

Steadys out again for Challengers - challengers are fine throwing putters. just need to put time in practicing throwing them.

Condensed the drivers a bit so now I'm at 18 discs total. 19 or so would be a full loadout, so I'm listing my Octothorpe and getting a Carlton.

Had fun throwing aftershocks and quakes, but there's just a "thinner" feel to them that doesn't mesh well with me. I like the deeper feel of the drone and wasp better for my modified fan grip. I feel like I have to power grip the aftershock and quake. SO, while they are all good discs, I'll stick with the ones that feel natural to me.

Are you sponsored by DGA/Discraft?
Nice avatar, Black Clover is great

Nope, just always liked discraft plastic. Started trying out some dga after meeting Shasta and seeing him win MidAmerica in 2018. Just a personal preference.

Black clover is a really underrated show. As a shonen it's right up there with Bleach and Dragonball. But it's not a typical "continually get stronger to beat the baddie" trope

FINAL UPDATE OF 2019

Playing in a local match play event this weekend, and this will be my lineup for that, and going into winter:

Distance drivers
174 SP Hurricane, slight wear - very flat, mainly used for long forehand shots, and distance shots in the wind.

Fairway drivers
174 Z Predator, beat - this is my anax/thunderbird/etc slot disc. More stability when throwing a undertaker hard, but not as much wind resistance as a new predator.
174 FR Z Undertaker, new - fresh in the cycle, very overstable Undertaker
174 ESP Undertaker, newish - works lines, has decent turn and predictable fade.
168 Z Undertaker, worn - slightly understable, good for flip ups and long gentle turning shots
174 ESP Avenger SS, newish - longer, harder right turning shots, rollers

Midranges
177 FF PL Quake, new - slots right in between a zone and drone. Longer than a zone, less fade than a drone.
177 Shastashock, newish - slightly overstable midrange.
174 PL Aftershock, slight wear - straight workhorse, can force anny and will hold
176 MJ ESP Glow Comet, worn - straight finesse shots, and hyzerflips/turning shots

Putters
174 Glow MF4 Steady, new - nice slightly overstable driving putter
174 D-Line Steady, worn - putting only

Going to try out a Squall over the winter. Put the aftershocks in since I don't want to risk breaking a JB Wasp at all since they are so scarce. They very likely will stick in the bag once I get over the slightly shallower feel of them.

Lost my most beat up Z Undertaker last weekend, so I'll be throwing a SP FLX Pipeline in the bag. The pipeline is a little easier to flip up which I think is actually a bonus - feels more like a teebird/fd type combo lineup to me. Also after many many back and forth and pondering which is better for me, I've returned to challengers for putting. There's still just something about a beaded putter that feels bad when I putt. I know it's probably all mental. I could absolutely work with it if I had to - but that's the beauty of not being sponsored - I can throw what I like best without problems. Fortunately, I can try to get my brain right in the winter and sell some of these discs I don't need to be messing with.

Other thoughts - the squall probably has a place in the bag, if only for those shots where I want fairway distance with minimal ground play. Aftershocks/quakes are awesome discs but weirdly shallow - probably has to do more with me learning with discs like Rocs and Comets, and being comfortable with beaded/slightly deeper midranges. AvengerSS is out, as the pipeline will be a great turning driver and the AvSS I find fading out too early on most shots. No other real changes likely over the winter, other than maybe trying out a couple of different plastics for throwing in cold weather. 2019 season done!

Last edited:
I find your Pipeline vs undertaker adventure very interesting

Is the pipeline straighter than the Undertaker?

which plastic do you prefer the Pipeline in ?